JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?

randytsuch

Re: JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2012, 06:50 am »
Toilet paper mod
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-ha-s500-pic-for-cheapo-gear-day/3090#post_8873986

I was also reading about using HM5 earpads over the stock pads.  Claim to really improve the already good sound.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:58 am »
That looks like the S500 mod which is different to the S400 mod which used rolled up paper towels and you simply inserted them in the gap under the earpads without taking them off. The s500 needed a different geometrical approach to the s400 from what I recall.

IIRC, the s400 mod is detailed on page 35 of the S400 thread at headfi.org.

randytsuch

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2012, 03:55 pm »
That looks like the S500 mod which is different to the S400 mod which used rolled up paper towels and you simply inserted them in the gap under the earpads without taking them off. The s500 needed a different geometrical approach to the s400 from what I recall.

IIRC, the s400 mod is detailed on page 35 of the S400 thread at headfi.org.

I saw someone on the s400 page who said he did the tp mod on his cans to good effect, but as always ymmv.

I also saw the paper towel mod, where you add some rolled up pieces to increase the space between the driver and your ear which I have used before on other cans which also seems to be a ymmv thing, and may depend on the pad you use.

BTW, other pads
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-get-your-pic-idea-ready-for-the-21st-check-s500-thread-for-details/645#post_8876509

I bought the akg pads this morning, going to try those first, but they are coming from China so it will take a while to get them.

The one other mod that I see mentioned is putting tape over the bass ports.  If I see instructions or pics I'll post a link.

I'm on vacation this week so I have some extra time to read through the long head fi threads on these.

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:30 pm »
Thanks Randy.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2012, 02:49 am »
I did the mod this morning and listened most of the day, these babies are a pleasure to listen to. I really think these are the most extreme example of best bang for your buck that I have ever heard.  I wonder how much value this sound has, or how we could test that out. If we had 10 people listen to these and then try and pick the correct price I wonder how high folks would guess on average???
 :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2012, 07:34 am »
What about replacing the wire? I am just asking, I am not enough of a headphone person to know. Seems like that would be a good and inexpensive place to start.

I have the JVC HA RX700 and love it (but like I said I don't have too much experience).

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2012, 01:09 pm »
Randy-I did the toilet paper mod, under the earpads. I just noticed in your links they say this is a crucial mod which sounds ominous but they also mentioned the effect is subtle which I also agree with.

Wush- I looked at the wire but so far I haven't figured out a way to open up the ear cups to see whats going on in there.

The phones themselves with/without the mod are nice and balanced to my ears so I'm not rushing into cracking them open, maybe next week...LOL!!!

funkmonkey

« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2012, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread!  No time to wade through the swamp that is head-fi anymore...  but timely post for me, as I was looking for a pair of affordable on/over ear headphones.  Order placed...  should be here by Saturday.   :thumb:
Thanks!

not sure I will be doing any mods...  though maybe a little damping (i.e. toilet paper mod) but might try a bit of polyfill instead...  gotta hear 'em first.

Cheers

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec 2012, 09:37 pm »
not sure I will be doing any mods...  though maybe a little damping (i.e. toilet paper mod) but might try a bit of polyfill instead...  gotta hear 'em first.

Cheers

Mods are optional, if you want to experience a different sound. Most of my headphones are stock (not modded) they sound good as they are.

rms

« Reply #30 on: 20 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on these! I just bought 3 to give as presents. Order now and Amazon guarantees delivery by the 24th.

ajzepp

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:21 am »
These really do make great gifts....for those of us who often have friends or family who really just don't understand our addiction, it can be a great way to give them a small taste of it. I mentioned earlier that I sent a pair off to a lady friend who really just saw no reason to use anything but her apple ibuds. Well, she now "gets it" (her words) and has been eagerly revisiting her entire music collection. I can tell she's legit with this, too, cause she's said things that I have never said to her previously...commenting on how she's able to hear much deeper into the tracks and even describing the concept of imaging, which I've never spoken to her about.

Not only that, but these headphones are very cool looking given the price. So yeah, I fully agree that this is a fantastic gift idea.  :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm »
These really do make great gifts....for those of us who often have friends or family who really just don't understand our addiction, it can be a great way to give them a small taste of it. I mentioned earlier that I sent a pair off to a lady friend who really just saw no reason to use anything but her apple ibuds. Well, she now "gets it" (her words) and has been eagerly revisiting her entire music collection. I can tell she's legit with this, too, cause she's said things that I have never said to her previously...commenting on how she's able to hear much deeper into the tracks and even describing the concept of imaging, which I've never spoken to her about.

Not only that, but these headphones are very cool looking given the price. So yeah, I fully agree that this is a fantastic gift idea.  :thumb:

Ok, so I'm interested. Where can I get a pair of these phones?

Are they comfortable enough that I would be able to wear them for long periods of time?

These CCrane phones are ok, but I'm not sure if it's my ears or that they are slightly boomy in the midbass. So if these phones are reasonably well balanced, that might be worth looking into. i am in the process of shifting from using speakers to phones.

I recently had a bone emplant and am using a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid)
For me, I am switching over to phones for now, whether they be over the ear or around them. Anywho, was just wondering where to get these phones? Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!

Ray Bronk

Nick77

« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2012, 01:07 pm »

Are they comfortable enough that I would be able to wear them for long periods of time?

These CCrane phones are ok, but I'm not sure if it's my ears or that they are slightly boomy in the midbass. So if these phones are reasonably well balanced, that might be worth looking into. i am in the process of shifting from using speakers to phones.

For me, I am switching over to phones for now, whether they be over the ear or around them. Anywho, was just wondering where to get these phones? Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!

Ray Bronk

Ray you must have missed the link, its Amazon and find it in reply #11.  :wink:

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:23 pm »

Ray Bronk

Hi Ray: Like Nick said, most of us our getting our pairs from Amazon. As for the comfort, honestly it's surprisingly good given the price and build materials used in these phones. I find them quite comfortable and have been able to wear for over two hours with no issues. The clamp is just enough to keep them in place on an average sized noggin, in my opinion. The pads don't overheat your ears and the headphones are very light overall. Others may feel differently, but in my experience these have no comfort issues at all.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2012, 09:41 pm »
I'm with Zepp on the comfort thing, fell asleep watching movies last night and they were still in place when I woke up. **Just a reminder for folks about to take delivery that if you take a couple hours and let these play/burn in they sound better. I found the sound changed quite a bit after 2-3 hours of signal being played through them.  :thumb: :thumb:

trackball02

« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2012, 03:43 am »
I got mine from Amazon yesterday, and I got to admit, these are incredible head phones. The price to performance is phenomenal especially after letting them break in about 4 hours.

I like that it folds. Compared my my other travel phones, Sennheiser  PX 200-II (about $85), the JVCs blow them out of the water at a fraction of the cost. My only gripe is that the clamping force on my ears is a bit much. I'm interested in changing out the ear pads to something softer.

Thanks for the tip.

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 22 Dec 2012, 06:41 am »
Hmmmmm. After about a 3 hour break-in. I can say - I haven't heard many $25 headphones so I'm sure that they are one of the best but I think that they just good bargain headphones. They are pleasant and don't do anything bad but they are just that - $27 headphones. The overall high end seem to be recessed and the mid-bass is kind of boomy, dominating the overall frequencies too much for my tastes.

Maybe I think differently of them later but that's my first impression.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2012, 11:33 am »
Hmmmmm. After about a 3 hour break-in. I can say - I haven't heard many $25 headphones so I'm sure that they are one of the best but I think that they just good bargain headphones. They are pleasant and don't do anything bad but they are just that - $27 headphones. The overall high end seem to be recessed and the mid-bass is kind of boomy, dominating the overall frequencies too much for my tastes.

Maybe I think differently of them later but that's my first impression.
Give them some time but I'm not surprised, your taste in sound is different then mine. Thats what makes headphones so hard to recommend and there is nothing wrong with that obviously. Its all about personal taste and how each of us hears things differently. Thanks for letting us know. :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:29 pm »
I think one needs to retain perspective.  They may be superb for the cost, but
those seeking the Holy Grail are not going to find it for $27...in fact, they may
never find it regardless of cost.  Considering what you can get in today's world
for $27, they are pretty amazing.
regards,
Hibuck......