• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #760 on: 14 Apr 2017, 12:08 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: UHF Review - Bryston BDA-3 DAC

April 2017

COMING SOON: 

Full in-depth review of our new Bryston BDA-3 DAC in UHF Magazine.

By the way, the BDA-3 will be on our next cover.

“We began our listening sessions with the unit you see here, the Bryston BDA-3.

We had reviewed the BDA-2 in an earlier issue of UHF, and we can say that the third incarnation of this converter is a mighty leap forward.

As usual, we don't give “stars” or other numerical ratings to products we review, because that would take away the nuances we strive to add to our reviews. Suffice it to say that this is a very good product.

Well, we should possibly add one more nuance: we liked the BDA-3 enough to have purchased one for our reference system. And, to add one more nuance, two of our panelists bought one as well.”

UHF Magazine

Grant Hill

« Reply #761 on: 14 Apr 2017, 01:07 pm »
 :D :D :thumb: :thumb: 8) 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #762 on: 30 Apr 2017, 09:51 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston BDA – 3 Review – UHF Magazine

May 2017

We've had a pause in our publishing schedule, not for the first time in our 35-year history. But we're getting the new issue put together. You can see the cover here.

What's more, there are changes afoot that will make it easier for us to put out the magazine more regularly. We'll be telling about that shortly.

The product on the cover, in front of the trees with their Spring buds, is the Bryston BDA-3 DAC, the new DAC from this famed Canadian manufacturer.

The older BDA-2 is still in the catalogue, but the new unit is worth waiting for. In point of fact we bought one ourselves.

There will be another Bryston product in our review lineup, the TF2 Moving-Coil Transformer .

Years ago (back in the 80's), Bryston was selling the TF1, a step-up transformer for moving-coil cartridges. We still own one, which we use to match a Goldring Excel cartridge to the Copland tube preamplifier that is at the heart of our Alpha reference system.

As analog seemed to be fading away, the TF1 was discontinued, though it lived on inside Bryston's own preamplifiers. But analog is back, obviously, and Bryston even makes turntables.

We might add that making a step-up transformer is harder than it may seem, and in the intervening years, we've heard some duds (the Talisman and the YBA, notably). We're looking forward to hearing the TF2.

Gerard Rejskin,               
UHF Magazine

schugh

« Reply #763 on: 11 May 2017, 09:45 pm »
Well, I just did it!   :o
Just picked up a Black 17" BDA3 from my local dealer.
Will replace my Benchmark DAC2. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #764 on: 12 May 2017, 03:28 am »
Well, I just did it!   :o
Just picked up a Black 17" BDA3 from my local dealer.
Will replace my Benchmark DAC2.
Congratulations! :thumb:
Looking forward to reading your impressions after you break it in.

zoom25

« Reply #765 on: 21 May 2017, 08:53 pm »
Hello James,

For the upcoming BDA-3 + BP26 combo, will the pre-amp be controlled by pot alone like the BHA-1 or will it be remote controlled? Trying to see if it will be suitable more for desktop or TV rig.

Also, if possible, do you think the release is looking at 2017 or 2018? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #766 on: 21 May 2017, 09:40 pm »
Hello James,

For the upcoming BDA-3 + BP26 combo, will the pre-amp be controlled by pot alone like the BHA-1 or will it be remote controlled? Trying to see if it will be suitable more for desktop or TV rig.

Also, if possible, do you think the release is looking at 2017 or 2018? Thanks.

Hi

It would be fully remote.

james

Silverbullet

« Reply #767 on: 21 May 2017, 10:24 pm »
Hi James

Two questions, will it still use the MPS power supply, and will it have home theatre bypass capability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #768 on: 21 May 2017, 10:49 pm »
Hi James

Two questions, will it still use the MPS power supply, and will it have home theatre bypass capability?

No it will be a completely different power supply as the MPS-2 is only for powering analog gear not digital.

Yes it will have a pass-through

james

zoom25

« Reply #769 on: 22 May 2017, 05:05 pm »
Hi

It would be fully remote.

james

Thanks James. Will there also be a fixed line level XLR output, or just the one XLR pair with the pre-amp? Having one fixed and one variable would be quite nice as the fixed could go to headphone amps and the variable could go to power amps or active monitors. It's the only one thing I didn't like about the BP-26.

If you end up going with only output, then perhaps it would be good to have a design where the volume control section can be taken out completely once the max output is reached. Example: http://dangerousmusic.com/product/convert-2/ (hard switch)

I'm not an engineer so just trying to pass off some features that I would like as a customer. I'm sure you guys will make it sound amazing. I have another idea regarding how the ethernet connection could be used if ethernet is going to be included. It can be used to control volume, switch inputs, and maybe have those options all on the same page as the Manic Moose one for BDP. So you can change tracks, load music, change output for a quick switch to watch something else via USB on computer and then go back, and turn the volume down of the BDA+BP combo all from the same page (not the digital volume of BDP). That would be something!

I'm happy to hear about the inclusion of a remote. Any idea on the ballpark of pricing?

I'll let you guys get back to work. Cheers  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #770 on: 22 May 2017, 06:14 pm »
Hi

Actually it will have 6 outputs because I want to build in the Active crossovers for the Model T and Middle T.

James

zoom25

« Reply #771 on: 22 May 2017, 06:26 pm »
Hi

Actually it will have 6 outputs because I want to build in the Active crossovers for the Model T and Middle T.

James

Very interesting! I would love to see any pics of just what the front or rear panel would look like to understand what this device can do and how many ways it can be used. Trying to put the full picture together of what the signal chain would look like. Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #772 on: 23 May 2017, 12:24 pm »
Hi

James

That must be some beast you're designing there James. Can't wait to hear and see more.
While you're at it, will you throw in a balanced pass-trough to connect the (unamped) signal to the BHA? And, for the passive listeners amongst us, will you design a model without the active X-over also?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #773 on: 23 May 2017, 06:08 pm »

That must be some beast you're designing there James. Can't wait to hear and see more.
While you're at it, will you throw in a balanced pass-trough to connect the (unamped) signal to the BHA? And, for the passive listeners amongst us, will you design a model without the active X-over also?

Cheers,
Marius

The active crossover will be a plug in card as will the phono stage.

james

BSC

« Reply #774 on: 6 Jun 2017, 01:55 pm »
James  a question not directly related to Bryston but I'm sure there are a lot of BDA-3 owners like me who use an Oppo with your DAC I currently have the Oppo 105.

The new Oppo 205 has apparently improved clock performance via HDMI which is of interest to me especially since you've mentioned it in the past. Have you any plans to try this player out?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #775 on: 6 Jun 2017, 03:28 pm »
James  a question not directly related to Bryston but I'm sure there are a lot of BDA-3 owners like me who use an Oppo with your DAC I currently have the Oppo 105.

The new Oppo 205 has apparently improved clock performance via HDMI which is of interest to me especially since you've mentioned it in the past. Have you any plans to try this player out?

Hi

I have the 103 but I will see if I can test a 205.

james

XMAN

« Reply #776 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:28 pm »
Has there been any firmware updates for the BDA3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #777 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:39 pm »
Has there been any firmware updates for the BDA3?

Hi

No updates.

james

XMAN

« Reply #778 on: 20 Jun 2017, 04:01 am »

Bones13

« Reply #779 on: 28 Jun 2017, 10:47 am »
Will the BDA-3 pass through HDR 4K video? I don't understand the details of all the different HDMI formats, and the TV business changes so fast...