Bryston Headphone Interface

won ton on

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #580 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:10 am »
DaveNote-------the graham slee solo ultralinear headphone amp is ss not tube based.if you go to the website it explains that he made a circut to sound like tubes,hence the ultralinear name.reading the forum on his site it looks like it takes about 1000 hrs to fully burn in

won ton on

« Reply #581 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:14 am »
DaveNote----------me again it's www.gspaudio.co.uk

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #582 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:46 am »
DaveNote----------me again it's www.gspaudio.co.uk

Thanks won ton on for the follow up. I checked it out, and there is a local dealer. Have to see if they have a demo.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #583 on: 15 Jan 2012, 05:34 pm »
Hi folks

Got the HE 500 phones in and tried them on the BHA-1 - really like the phone :thumb: :thumb:  I only heard the HE 6 on the previous version of the BHA but I think I like the 500 better :scratch:

James

MellowVelo

« Reply #584 on: 15 Jan 2012, 08:48 pm »
Hi folks

Got the HE 500 phones in and tried them on the BHA-1 - really like the phone :thumb: :thumb:  I only heard the HE 6 on the previous version of the BHA but I think I like the 500 better :scratch:

James

Hi James,

Thanks for following up on this. So does that mean that the BHA-1 has enough power to drive the HE-500? What gain setting did you use? Did you use single-ended or balanced connection? At what position was the volume pot for comfortable listening level?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #585 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:07 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for following up on this. So does that mean that the BHA-1 has enough power to drive the HE-500? What gain setting did you use? Did you use single-ended or balanced connection? At what position was the volume pot for comfortable listening level?

Thanks!

Single ended about 11 oclock.  The BHA-1 runs pure Class A so even at full rotation of the volume control would not be an issue.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #586 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:19 pm »
Single ended about 11 oclock.  The BHA-1 runs pure Class A so even at full rotation of the volume control would not be an issue.

james

For what it is worth, by comparison, I run my Schiit Lyr amp, which has 6 watts of power, at 9:00 o'clock and the headphone jack of my BP26 at 10, using my LCD-2 headphones. In each case, higher volumes would be close to being dangerously high.

LCD-2s are 50 ohms, and HE500s are 38 ohms. So my guess is that the BHA-1 power might be closer to that of my preamp jack than to my Lyr.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #587 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:37 pm »
BHA-1 at CES

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #588 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm »
Hey James,

While the LCD's can handle up to 15 watts they can also play 90dB with 1mw.
We usually recommend 1 watt although from the specs of your BHA-1 you should be more than fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Alexander Rosson
www.audeze.com

DaveNote

« Reply #589 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:46 pm »
Hey James,

We usually recommend 1 watt although from the specs of your BHA-1 you should be more than fine.

Thank you,

Alexander Rosson
www.audeze.com

Many thanks, James, for getting this information from Audeze. As an LCD user, I found this to be one of the most useful pieces of information about the BHA-1 to date.

Dave

myview

« Reply #590 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm »
Hi James,

Will you kindly pose a similar question to Hifiman/Head-Direct regarding the HE-6 please?

Thank you very much

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #591 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm »
Hi James,

Will you kindly pose a similar question to Hifiman/Head-Direct regarding the HE-6 please?

Thank you very much

I did many moons ago - no answer :scratch:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #592 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm »
Well I have 4 different headphones now and I thought speakers sounded different :duh:

James

DaveNote

« Reply #593 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:12 am »
I did many moons ago - no answer :scratch:

James

Maybe HiFiMan, which builds headphone amps as well as headphones, may be a little reluctant to help a competitor, especially since it, too, is introducing a new SS amp in a few weeks at about the same price as the BHA-1. BTW, its new EF-6 will produce 5 watts of power.

Dave

MellowVelo

« Reply #594 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm »
Well I have 4 different headphones now and I thought speakers sounded different :duh:

James

Yeah, it's kinda crazy just how radically different some headphones can sound from each other, but that's also why headphone listening can be such a fun hobby. It's much easier to swap out headphones than speakers; you can easily build up an arsenal of headphones for various types of listening.

MellowVelo

« Reply #595 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm »
Hey James,

Thank you,

Alexander Rosson
www.audeze.com

This is really helpful to know. Thanks, Alexander and James.

MellowVelo

« Reply #596 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:37 pm »
HI-Z load: 20 Volts into 600 ohms (667mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K

Low-Z load: 4 volts into 32 ohms (500 mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K

Hi James,

I'm curious as to why the power output drops as the impedance of the headphone decreases. I thought that power output is supposed to increase as impedance decreases. Are headphones different than speakers in this regard?

srb

« Reply #597 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:54 pm »
I thought that power output is supposed to increase as impedance decreases. Are headphones different than speakers in this regard?

The thing different about headphones is the extremely wide variation in impedances between them, that is much narrower with speakers.  If the amplifier voltage was constant, then the lower impedance would have more power, but my guess is that a design that can accommodate the wide variation between 32 ohms and 600 ohms impedance might require two different circuits that could explain the difference in voltage output.

Is there a low/high impedance switch on the BHA-1?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #598 on: 17 Jan 2012, 07:13 pm »

The thing different about headphones is the extremely wide variation in impedances between them, that is much narrower with speakers.  If the amplifier voltage was constant, then the lower impedance would have more power, but my guess is that a design that can accommodate the wide variation between 32 ohms and 600 ohms impedance might require two different circuits that could explain the difference in voltage output.

Is there a low/high impedance switch on the BHA-1?

Steve

Hi Steve - yes there is a high/low impedance switch.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #599 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:06 pm »
A useful article on how headphone listening differs from listening to speakers:

http://audiophilereview.com/headphones/how-headphone-listening-is-different.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AudiophileReview+%28Audiophile+Review%29

Dave

Dave, read this and found it interesting.  Though I have a decent pair of cans i.e. Grado SR80's, they would only be mid-head-fi level, at best.  This has always left me wondering how much more could be got by moving to something twice the price or so?  For me, stereo imaging, both depth and bredth is an essential part of my attraction to critical listening through in-room speakers...I've never had a realistic / believeable room space from my headphones and wondered if that was primarily limited by my cans and/or headphone amp.  This article suggests that there are clear limits based on the inherent nature of headphones.  Interesting.