Vitamin D Hormone

JoshK

Re: Vitamin D Hormone
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2014, 02:47 pm »
The first thing my doctor told me when I moved to Canada was start taking 1,000IU of Vit D(3).   I then got assigned my GP and they said up it to 6,000IU and he said that sometime he will go as high as 15,000IU on patients and that I could experiment within these bounds.  I take 6,000IU daily.  I do think it helps with my overall disposition.

RDavidson

« Reply #41 on: 18 Dec 2014, 03:50 pm »
Yes, we've got some Natural Calm here at the pad. My gf loves it. You are correct about magnesium to balance the calcium so I bought magnesium glycinate for better absorption. It also doesn't have the laxative qualities of the Natural Calm from my experience so far.

Yeah, Natural Calm can have a laxative effect. You're supposed to start with 4 grams, which is actually quite a bit of magnesium generally speaking. You up the dosage by a gram or two every day or two. If it helps soften your stool, great. But if it is too soft (ie basically liquid), then you've taken too much and should back it off to where you're normal / feeling good. Under normal circumstances, it seems that 6-8 grams is about right for me. Note, I use a food scale to carefully measure, which is much more helpful than trying to "accurately" use a measuring spoon.

That's good to know about the Epsom salt bath, EB. Never knew that. Definitely sounds relaxing, though maybe it wouldn't be something one could do daily.

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2014, 05:08 am »
The first thing my doctor told me when I moved to Canada was start taking 1,000IU of Vit D(3).   I then got assigned my GP and they said up it to 6,000IU and he said that sometime he will go as high as 15,000IU on patients and that I could experiment within these bounds.  I take 6,000IU daily.  I do think it helps with my overall disposition.

Glad to hear it. Canada has been a bit more aggressive than the U.S. when it comes to Vit. D education and dosage.

bummrush

« Reply #43 on: 3 Jan 2015, 05:46 pm »
I'll throw Freeda vitamins out there for what I feel are unbeatable products

wushuliu

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2015, 06:01 am »
As a followup, finally got levels tested and they came back 86 ng/ml. So just above the optimal level spread of 40-80, depending on who you believe. Potential toxicity is 200 ng/ml, so I've got LOTS of room. This is based on about 5 weeks of high daily dosage. I've dropped back down to 15-20k IU daily and will experiment with lower dosages. I'll take the test again in 4 months or so and adjust.

Still feeling great and still a much different person temperamentally than I was just a few months ago.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2015, 08:15 pm »
It certainly helps with your looks, if that's you in the photo.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2015, 10:52 pm »
It certainly helps with your looks, if that's you in the photo.

Yes I agree! It's worked a charm with your pectorals.

Rocket

« Reply #47 on: 25 Feb 2015, 10:35 am »
Hi Guys,

I had a persistent cold for over 3 months last winter and just could not recover from it.  I had a blood test which revealed low vitamin D and I have been on supplements ever since.  Winter commences in June (I live in Australia) and hopefully won't be unwell for so long this year.

Interesting thread.

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:58 am »
Hi Guys,

I had a persistent cold for over 3 months last winter and just could not recover from it.  I had a blood test which revealed low vitamin D and I have been on supplements ever since.  Winter commences in June (I live in Australia) and hopefully won't be unwell for so long this year.

Interesting thread.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod,
is that the same cold you had when you can to my house?

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #49 on: 25 Feb 2015, 02:21 pm »
Hi Guy,

Yes it was.  Found out I had low vitamin D.  Hoping that I don't have another winter cold like that.  Pity your leave 'Planet Vietnam' as I'm planning on a trip later in the year.

Happy for you though.

Cheers Rod

nickd

« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2015, 05:35 pm »
I've been on the Vitim D bandwagon (5000iu. from Costco) for a couple of years now and I live in Southern CA. Make sure to take it with your highest fat content meal of the day. You can't get enough sun in the office or in front of the Stereo at home. :|

On the magnesium subject, I have been taking ZMA that was patented by SNAC systems. it contains Zinc, magnesium and B6. It is less than $10.00 per month at Swanson and Prosource.net

Taken before bed, the ZMA really helps you sleep in that deep "REM" mode. Great for guys that want testosterone support naturally.
The new ZMA-5 is about $17.00 per mo. but adds some new stuff. Have not tried that yet.

If you exercise or just want a healthy heart and sound sleep both are really worth the money. IMOP

KLH007

« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2015, 06:53 pm »
I'm taking 20,000 IU/day for 6 years, not even a cold this winter and NO flu shot.

Early B.

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:35 pm »
On the magnesium subject, I have been taking ZMA that was patented by SNAC systems. it contains Zinc, magnesium and B6. It is less than $10.00 per month at Swanson and Prosource.net

Taken before bed, the ZMA really helps you sleep in that deep "REM" mode. Great for guys that want testosterone support naturally.
The new ZMA-5 is about $17.00 per mo. but adds some new stuff. Have not tried that yet.

If you exercise or just want a healthy heart and sound sleep both are really worth the money. IMOP

Just ordered some ZMA. Thanks.

sts9fan

« Reply #53 on: 25 Feb 2015, 09:17 pm »
I'm taking 20,000 IU/day for 6 years, not even a cold this winter and NO flu shot.

now thats what I call proof!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm »

I rarely get sick either, and I used to be "that guy" who caught everything that went around.  Multiple sick times per year.  Terrible.  Now I get something maybe once every 2 years or so.  I started taking Vitamin D, plus a 45 minute walk every day, and cut out all grain-based processed foods.  Those 3 simple things have really made an improvement in how I feel and how little I get sick nowadays.  Dropping extra weight effortlessly and getting better sleep is just gravy.

gregcss

« Reply #55 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:19 am »
Taken before bed, the ZMA really helps you sleep in that deep "REM" mode.

Back when I use to pick things up and put them down I took ZMA once (only 1 bottle worth) and recall my dreams were quite vivid.

KLH007

« Reply #56 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:01 am »
I rarely get sick either, and I used to be "that guy" who caught everything that went around.  Multiple sick times per year.  Terrible.  Now I get something maybe once every 2 years or so.  I started taking Vitamin D, plus a 45 minute walk every day, and cut out all grain-based processed foods.  Those 3 simple things have really made an improvement in how I feel and how little I get sick nowadays.  Dropping extra weight effortlessly and getting better sleep is just gravy.

Maybe if your buddy Pez was taking massive Vitamin D doses he wouldn't have gotten sick at 2014 RMAF?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:13 am »
Maybe if your buddy Pez was taking massive Vitamin D doses he wouldn't have gotten sick at 2014 RMAF?

That was me that got sick at RMAF.  My once every 2 years sickness, just incredibly bad timing.

KLH007

« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:50 pm »
Oops, Dyslexia- a horrible disease.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #59 on: 19 Mar 2015, 03:14 pm »
Came across a brief article on Berkley Health that helps to explain why it's important to exercise caution when supplementing your vitamin intake.

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supplements/vitamins/article/low-vitamin-d-cause-disease-or-effect