$3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: $3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Apr 2012, 06:10 am »
I thought my 2 way speakers have nice looking stands.   :dunno:

Nope, ugly, ugly, ugly.  But I've heard how awesome Gedlee speakers are, so probably a worthwhile trade off.

fredgarvin

« Reply #61 on: 2 May 2012, 11:57 pm »

I suggest the VMPS RM30II. They are an extraordinary speaker, if I ever sell my VMPS 626R's it will be to get these. They are also within your price range. Lovely planar mids and solid tuneful bass, well integrated. With the plus of no pesky stands.

cujobob

« Reply #62 on: 3 May 2012, 01:03 am »
Nope, ugly, ugly, ugly.  But I've heard how awesome Gedlee speakers are, so probably a worthwhile trade off.
I disagree, his stands are nice looking, are you sure you aren't referring to the speakers?

wilsynet

« Reply #63 on: 3 May 2012, 10:13 am »
Both the stands and the speakers look pretty ugly to me.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #64 on: 3 May 2012, 11:28 am »
jtwrace,  I wouldn't take offense from any of these comments.  Most of these guys probably have to ask there wife if their tie matches their shirt  :roll:...  The same ones  who think that if their speaker looks like the love child of an exotic tree and the robot from lost in space it is art...  :)

saeyedoc

« Reply #65 on: 16 May 2012, 01:08 am »

Anyone heard any of the Pioneer EX series?
These S2-EXs look really good.
They list for $7k/pr, but I've seen them advertised for $5k including the stands.

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 16 May 2012, 01:38 am »

I dunno, to me they're ugly the same way an Ariel Atom V8 could be considered ugly. Probably a similar performance comparison to other speakers, from what I've heard.

And I'm genuinely curious about the above post. The concept of mainstream brand, expensive speakers, Pioneers even, is almost an alien concept on these boards. I wonder what they're like. Can't be that good. These are the types of speakers ID companies set out to beat.

saeyedoc

« Reply #67 on: 16 May 2012, 01:57 am »

I dunno, to me they're ugly the same way an Ariel Atom V8 could be considered ugly. Probably a similar performance comparison to other speakers, from what I've heard.

And I'm genuinely curious about the above post. The concept of mainstream brand, expensive speakers, Pioneers even, is almost an alien concept on these boards. I wonder what they're like. Can't be that good. These are the types of speakers ID companies set out to beat.
They're actually an off-shoot of TAD. Andrew Jones helped developed these as an affordable alternative to the TAD.
They use a magnesium mid instead of the beryllium one in the TAD, but the tweeter is the same.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #68 on: 16 May 2012, 02:07 am »

i think the ariel atom is freaking beautiful!   :thumb:  while i don't think the gedlee speakers are ugly, they're far from beautiful, imo.  but perfectly acceptable if their performance is what folks say it is...

i am not sure how you can say the pioneer/tad speakers "can't be that good".  while i have not heard them, it would surprise me if they were not spectacular.  they're designed by a master, and their more expensive monitors were almost uniwersally praised as "best at show", or near best, at last fall's rmaf...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #69 on: 16 May 2012, 02:22 am »
Huh.. just that outside of home theater receiver talk I just never hear about Pioneer as an alternative, especially for speakers.

saeyedoc

« Reply #70 on: 16 May 2012, 02:47 am »
Huh.. just that outside of home theater receiver talk I just never hear about Pioneer as an alternative, especially for speakers.
Me neither, ran into a few comments on some threads on another forum and looked up some reviews.
At over 40% off list, may be a good value. The stands that come with them list for $1700.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #71 on: 16 May 2012, 02:56 am »
Thinking about replacing my '87 Vandersteen 2Cs at some point. 5.1 system with Vandersteen V2W sub in a 25x23' room with the listening position about 1/2 way back, speakers on the short side. Room is open to another room on one side. It's not a dedicated room, used most of the time for casual HDTV or Blu-ray watching, but I like to crank it when I'm listening to music. Tastes range from classic rock to jazz including multi-channel concerts.
Using an Oppo 93 into an Anthem MRX300 into a Parasound HCA-2205A.
I'm thinking that since I'm using a sub for the real low end, it may be a better value to go with a stand-mounted monitor vs a floorstander. Less money into cabinetry and more into drivers. Also makes for easier placement.
Any opinions and recommendations?
Considering Salk (Songtower RT up to Soundscape M7 possibly), Selah Tempestra, Cirrus Vapor, Ascend Sierra Tower with Raal, Phils, but open to other suggestions.

As previously noted by others, Fritz Speakers (Carbon 7s) should be added to your short list. Fritz is a great guy, and offers in-home demos. I'm sure you could cross your sub with them really very well. I've never heard the Vandys you have, but I have listened at length to the Carbon 7s and they are a great speaker that is unusually underpriced. You should give him a call.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #72 on: 16 May 2012, 03:33 am »

You really gotta get out more.  The fastest way to get to hear things like TAD speakers and all kinds of kewl stuff is to attend an audio show in your part of the country.  You have such a curiosity for all things audio and, please forgive, I really mean for this to sound positive, such a large well to empty that knowledge into.  You won't get the best sound in every room, but the sheer volume of information will get you exposed to at least of couple setups that are magical.

TAD is an outgrowth of Pioneer, whose first product was a speaker in 1937 (thank you Wiki).  They have the capitol and market presence to make whatever they choose to and their Elite line has been well received in high end circles for many years.  The TAD bookshelf speakers are something over $35k a pair, the Reference One is about $60k if I recall correctly.  Something north of Gedlee's wonderful product line and perhaps also north of the OP's price limits, but the Pioneer S2-EX's might be worth a listen for him if they come even close to the TAD products.

wilsynet

« Reply #73 on: 16 May 2012, 05:50 am »
I heard the Pioneer S1-EX speakers in show conditions a number of months ago.  Not enough to have a strong opinion, but they sounded good and weren't objectionable in any way.  If I were buying speakers today in their price range, I'd likely seriously audition the the EX line.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #74 on: 16 May 2012, 12:04 pm »

Pioneer seems to be changing their tune and taking hifi seriously again.  There was a glowing major review recently of their cheap monitors (I think they were ~$120 pair).  I bet these new monitors sound killer but they could be overpriced.  Seems to often be the case when mid-fi dabbles in hi-fi.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #75 on: 16 May 2012, 03:06 pm »
I bet these new monitors sound killer but they could be overpriced.  Seems to often be the case when mid-fi dabbles in hi-fi.

i don't think over-priced hi-fi is confined to any particular group.   :lol:  not saying this particular speaker is over-priced or not - unless i hear it, i have no way of knowing...

doug s.

pslate

« Reply #76 on: 16 May 2012, 05:49 pm »
While not TAD, the Soundfield Monitor 1 could give you a great coaxial experience. Save you a few dollars too :thumb: Mine will be coming soon.

saeyedoc

« Reply #77 on: 16 May 2012, 07:40 pm »
Well the EX idea is out, they only come in pairs. Defeats what I'm trying to do, the idea is to make the best of getting stuck with my plasma over the fireplace by going with 3 identical speakers.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #78 on: 16 May 2012, 10:29 pm »
Well the EX idea is out, they only come in pairs. Defeats what I'm trying to do, the idea is to make the best of getting stuck with my plasma over the fireplace by going with 3 identical speakers.

unless you know this is your "final" set-up, you may wanna consider getting two pairs of whatever you get, anyway.  especially if you go for something custom, like from vapor or selah - it is much easier to sell a pair than 3...

doug s.

saeyedoc

« Reply #79 on: 17 May 2012, 12:14 am »
unless you know this is your "final" set-up, you may wanna consider getting two pairs of whatever you get, anyway.  especially if you go for something custom, like from vapor or selah - it is much easier to sell a pair than 3...

doug s.
I'm not real worried about reasale, I'm not one to change things very often, especially speakers. My Vandys have cost me <$50/yr so far. Not worth spending an extra $2k for something I'll never use.