Which is for which ?

Guy 13

Which is for which ?
« on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm »

Hi.
A few years ago, I have purchased from Danny
a Majik Buss and now I want to use it.
I know, it's about time !
I wonder what outlet is better (Extra filtering) for the CD?
I have tube and solid state amplifiers,
two GR Research SA-1 plate amplifier
a walwart for my phono stage
a cassette deck
all 120V, but running on 50Hz.
(I am still in Vietnam.)
There are a and B and a B and A (Upside down)

Waiting for your answer. Thanks.

Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Which is for which ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:36 pm »
Doesn't make a difference.  Plug anything into anywhere.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2013, 12:53 pm »
Doesn't make a difference.  Plug anything into anywhere.
Hi jtwrace and all Audio Circle members.
When I bought it, I am positive that someone from PI
(Sorry, don't remember his name, maybe Dave ?)
told me that one of the receptacle had extra filtering for CD
or anything with an internal clock or something like that.
Therefore, I ask again, which outlet his different with extra filtering?
Excuse me, if I am a pain in the neck.

Guy 13

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:05 pm »
No damage will occur.  You need to use your ears to determine what combination will work best.  We typically think of digital sources as being offenders of a certain type of noise and amps can have a 'different' type of noise.  Even if Dave comes along and can say which is which, you'll need to try them out and see how it goes regardless.

You have more devices than outlets so are you going to combine some items into a outlet strip of some kind?  I would start with the amps and CD directly into the unit and combine the lower power stuff after the unit into a strip for a first try.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:12 pm »
No damage will occur.  You need to use your ears to determine what combination will work best.  We typically think of digital sources as being offenders of a certain type of noise and amps can have a 'different' type of noise.  Even if Dave comes along and can say which is which, you'll need to try them out and see how it goes regardless.

You have more devices than outlets so are you going to combine some items into a outlet strip of some kind?  I would start with the amps and CD directly into the unit and combine the lower power stuff after the unit into a strip for a first try.
Hi Big Red Machine and all Audio Circle members.
Not that I don't believe you or anyone else,
but I remember well that Dave (If it's Dave)
told me that an outlet was made specifically for the CD or the same.
I hope someone from PI will come in and confirm what I have been told
or tell be that I have dreamed that...
Yes, I will use a power strip.
My idea was to have the CD on one specialized outlet
and the amplifiers on two other outlets
and a power strip for the remaining stuff.

Guy 13

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:14 pm »
Well Dave is a few hours behind us so after he has his morning coffee and shook off the cobwebs he'll be along I am sure.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:22 pm »
Well Dave is a few hours behind us so after he has his morning coffee and shook off the cobwebs he'll be along I am sure.
Hi Big Red Machine and all Audio Circle members.
Here in Vietnam it's 8.30pm,
I will wait for him until bed time, which should be around 10pm
and I might get up in the middle of the night to check my messages.
I do that often when I can't sleep because I think about my (rotten) life here in Vietnam.

Guy 13

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:51 pm »
Guy,  the original MajikBUSS had additional filtering for digital in the 'B' receptacle pair.  This type of filtration is to keep the nasties from traveling back down the line and to ease the harshness.

That BUSS has been sitting a long time.  It will sound harsh in the upper mids and a tad thin on the bottom end for about three days.  Then it will all start to come together.  Just give it some time.

Dave

mamba315

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2013, 07:27 pm »
I purchased a used Majikbuss recently so this info is good to know.

Shortly after I also purchased a used Uberbuss.  It has a switch with a white dot which turns the PFC (?) on and off.  Which position is on?  And what does the PFC do?  Are there conditions under which it may not be useful, or even detrimental?

Guy 13, hope you don't mind me asking this here.  Just curious about this feature so I figured I'd ask while I'm here anyways.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:46 pm »
Guy,  the original MajikBUSS had additional filtering for digital in the 'B' receptacle pair.  This type of filtration is to keep the nasties from traveling back down the line and to ease the harshness.

That BUSS has been sitting a long time.  It will sound harsh in the upper mids and a tad thin on the bottom end for about three days.  Then it will all start to come together.  Just give it some time.

Dave
Hi Dave and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for the confirmation of an outlet having extra filtering.
I was not sure, but I knew you told me about it,
I'm sorry if I was not sure about your name, it's been a long time.
Thanks again.

Guy 13

P.S.
So, who's the Audio Circle members that said
it did not matter where I plug what?
Just joking, but I had to be sure that I did not dream
about a dedicated extra filtering outlet.

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm »

Shortly after I also purchased a used Uberbuss.  It has a switch with a white dot which turns the PFC (?) on and off.  Which position is on?  And what does the PFC do?  Are there conditions under which it may not be useful, or even detrimental?

Guy 13, hope you don't mind me asking this here.  Just curious about this feature so I figured I'd ask while I'm here anyways.
Hi mamba315 and all Audio Circle members.
No problemo...
I don't mind, as a matter of fact,
now I know that there is a unit with a PFC whatever PFC means.

Guy 13

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2013, 01:09 am »
Power Factor Correction

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:01 am »
Power Factor Correction
Hi BRM and all Audio Circle members.
Excuse my ignorance, but I might know what PFC means,
but under another designation,
can you explain a little more what it is (With simple words and no abreviations) ?
If it's not too much to ask.

Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:45 am »

Power factor correction of this type will improve the efficiency of any transformer attached to the BUSS.  PFC is ON when the white dot on the button is depressed.  Give it a listen.  you will hear the difference.

PFC may or may not be beneficial with a SMPS attached directly to it.  The BUSSes are designed for use with linear power supplies.  I have another product in development for use with SMPS.

Dave

Rouslanbel

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:10 am »
Power factor correction of this type will improve the efficiency of any transformer attached to the BUSS.  PFC is ON when the white dot on the button is depressed.  Give it a listen.  you will hear the difference.

PFC may or may not be beneficial with a SMPS attached directly to it.  The BUSSes are designed for use with linear power supplies.  I have another product in development for use with SMPS.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I do have linear PS in my Oppo, but two SMPS in Ncore 400 monoblocks. I hope UberBASS going to work well for my system.

In you future product would it be possible to have a modular system (maybe blades) to adjust configuration for customers particular system (some blades for SMPS, some for LPS).

I don't know if it is even possible :-)

Thanks,
        Rouslan