For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Photon46

Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #280 on: 4 Aug 2017, 11:14 am »
There are some decent knives with excellent steel at Japan Woodworker.  I've used this inexpensive knife for several years and gotten good service from it. https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/7-1-2-satsuma-knife-tosagata?via=58923198617070231a000047%2C5893b7ac617070454900f966%2C5894aee06170706c3c038f6f
It is rustic, blade heavy, and not the greatest fit, but the steel is superb. I think I gave $27 for it. 
The damascus knife we have been discussing in another level in refinement, and is a quality professional tool.

You are so right about the Tosagata knives. They are not aesthetically refined and beautiful knives, but their steel is excellent, especially so for the price. IMO they've got to be one of the best value knives going. They're easy to sharpen and really hold their edge. It's been my experience that their steel doesn't stain as easily as many other carbon steel knives too.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #281 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:27 pm »
Scott sent me this link.
They're $80, but are currently sold out.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makudawh2sa.html

Thanks Bob.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #282 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm »
I've sent an email to ChefKnivesToGo asking if they expect any more in the near future.

There are some decent knives with excellent steel at Japan Woodworker.  I've used this inexpensive knife for several years and gotten good service from it. https://www.japanwoodworker.com/products/7-1-2-satsuma-knife-tosagata?via=58923198617070231a000047%2C5893b7ac617070454900f966%2C5894aee06170706c3c038f6f
It is rustic, blade heavy, and not the greatest fit, but the steel is superb. I think I gave $27 for it. 
The damascus knife we have been discussing in another level in refinement, and is a quality professional tool.

Thanks Scott.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #283 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:42 pm »
You're welcome Hugh.
We're trying to spend your money.
Is it working?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #284 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:47 pm »
We're getting there Bob.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #285 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:07 pm »
 8)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #286 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:10 pm »
The owner of ChefKnivesToGo emailed to say he expects another order in about a month.  I signed up to be notified when they arrive.  He also said the word is getting out about them and they are moving pretty quickly.  If they are like the first batch, they'll sell out in a week or two. 
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2017, 06:27 pm by S Clark »

S Clark

« Reply #287 on: 18 Sep 2017, 05:18 pm »
For anyone interested, the knife that Bob and I have been bragging on is back in stock... for hours or days- I doubt weeks.  For $80 you can't beat it... high quality at an intro level. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #288 on: 18 Sep 2017, 05:26 pm »
For anyone interested, the knife that Bob and I have been bragging on is back in stock... for hours or days- I doubt weeks.  For $80 you can't beat it... high quality at an intro level. 

:thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #289 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:58 am »
Sold out.  Again.

asliarun

« Reply #290 on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:53 am »
I have the Dojo Hayashi AS Nakiri 165 that I purchased from CKTG a while ago. It is very much an entry level Japanese knife, but the steel (Aogami Super) is absolutely excellent and because it is a laminate sandwich steel construction, I really do not have to be that careful in cleaning up after or keeping it dry right away.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojousuba165mm.html

S Clark

« Reply #291 on: 28 Sep 2017, 01:45 pm »
I have the Dojo Hayashi AS Nakiri 165 that I purchased from CKTG a while ago. It is very much an entry level Japanese knife, but the steel (Aogami Super) is absolutely excellent and because it is a laminate sandwich steel construction, I really do not have to be that careful in cleaning up after or keeping it dry right away.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojousuba165mm.html
That looks like a nice knife for the cash, and with stainless cladding I'm not surprised it's easy maintenance.  Always wanted to try an AS steel knife to compare edge retention to my Shirogami blades. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #292 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:50 pm »
Sold out.  Again.
Looks like it may be back in stock. Tempted. May get it as a wedding gift for a nephew.

****Edit****
Went ahead and ordered it. I'll decide if it's a gift or a keeper when it gets here.  :icon_twisted:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #293 on: 17 Oct 2017, 05:26 pm »
Nice, keep us posted  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #294 on: 17 Oct 2017, 07:56 pm »
They've also got a Makoto damascus White#2 210mm gyuto for $99 that looks like a great deal and doesn't stay in stock for long.  I've been telling myself I don't need another knife, but  :icon_twisted: someone keeps whispering in my ear.    https://www.chefknivestogo.com/madaw2gy21.html
I really don't need it.  I've got old Altecs to rebuild, my favorite Classical record store is liquidating at 1/2 off, getting crossover work done next week... money seems to be evaporating from my wallet. 

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #295 on: 28 Nov 2017, 05:56 pm »
I've just received my JCK Original Kagayaki CarboNext Series Gyuto! This is officially my first Japanese kitchen knife. I can't wait to lop off a chunk of a finger with this thing! Boy...is this thing S...H...A...R...P!!!!! The hair just boiled off my forearm when I slid this blade ever so carefully over it. Impressive, Grasshopper!!!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #296 on: 28 Nov 2017, 05:59 pm »
It's a 240 mm. length blade. It has a very solid feel and great workmanship. Many thanks to Rob Babcock for his suggestions. He's seen a Japanese knife or two in his day.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #297 on: 28 Nov 2017, 06:05 pm »
I can't wait to lop off a chunk of a finger with this thing!
Take pictures!  :thumb:
Nice knife Ed, very cool!

S Clark

« Reply #298 on: 28 Nov 2017, 06:46 pm »
Hi. My name is Scott, and I'm a Japanese knife user.  Welcome to the users support group. 
Your knife seems to be a nice high chromium semi stainless, a step up from the typical VG-10 knives in it's price range.  It might be a bit harder to sharpen than what's currently in the kitchen.  I read the blade is asymmetrically sharpened.  If so, you will have a decision to make the first time you put it on a stone.  Probably around 15* is a good angle per side, but I can't find much info on that steel.  There are lots of us here that can give plenty of useless free advice.  :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #299 on: 28 Nov 2017, 10:55 pm »
When purchasing this knife I noticed an ES (extra sharp) option. I checked that box. Then, I was asked if I were right handed or left? I'm a righty. The knife I received has a very shallow grind on the right side. My Lanski sharpening "system" (works great on my Benchmade Adamas 275B) goes to a 17degree angle, and that isn't even close. I might have to invest in some Japanese whetstones!