Grace Mondo Red

Guy 13

Grace Mondo Red
« on: 15 Feb 2014, 01:51 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I bought two months ago a Grace Mondo (Table) Radio Internet or
Should it sound better to say: A Internet table radio?
Anyway, it as reach it’s destination on planet Vietnam.
The red on this radio look cool as the younger generation says.
Now, what, no instruction manual?
Of course not, it’s all on the Grace’s website and there is a lot of it with 52 pages.
Now, let’s see if I can go around the nightmare of reading 52 pages of bla, bla, bla…
I plugged the adaptor.
Don’t like wall wart, they are always on.
Anyway, the little or big screen came to life within 10 seconds, that’s acceptable.
Really nice color display.
Turn the main button to choose what I wanted, well; I did not know really what I wanted,
But I had to wait for the radio to find our wifi; but it never found it.
Of course it could not find the wifi, between the wifi and the radio there is a 12” reinforced concrete floor/ceiling.
So, I brought down the radio near the wifi and it found right way the signal. 
Then I went to genre, cities, etc…
I went to see under Classical Music and found, city, then scroll to find Montreal, then scroll again to find CJPX an FM station that I know very well.
After a few second of buffering it came to life, nice sound from the small built in speaker, but nothing Hi-Fi.
I went further in my search and found the built in equalizer and adjusted it manually to my liking.
Ahhhhh, now it sounds a lot better, still not Hi-Fi or Hi end stuff, but acceptable for ambient and back ground music, while I work.
Now I need to put more stations in the pre-set memory and that require reading the 52 pages.
My first preliminary findings are:
Inexpensive at 149USD.
Small in size, easily portable.
I did not buy the battery, because batteries are expensive and never last more than a year or two.
Nice color, I choose red,
but my second choice would have been white.
Nice color display, a little small for someone like me that must wear reading glasses for everything that not the size of a billboard.
Basic set up, without instruction manual, but if you want to benefit of all the features, reading the instruction manual is a must.
I’ve tried my Sennheiser HD-570 (30 Ohms) headphones and the sound is O.K.
Next time I will try my Sennheiser HD-650 and hear if it's sound better.
When I will have purchased my more powerful wifi I will then bring the radio into my penthouse/office/listening room and connect the radio to my sound system via the two RCA jacks in the back of the radio.
Will report on that later.
The volume control is on the top of the radio, for me that strange locations for a volume control.
Overall, I am satisfied.
More to come a little later when the radio is its final resting place.
Sorry for my lack of proper words to transmit my findings.

Guy 13