Can't decide to keep my Anthem Amps or replace them - Suggestions?

boe

Hello,

I have an Anthem P2 and a P5 to power my speakers (Von Schweikert).   I bi-amp my fronts.   I'm thinking of putting in some height speakers so I have a choice, replace the P2 with another P5 or look at other amps.    I like the warm and accurate sound of the Anthem Amps but they do heat up my apartment.   If I were to replace them with similar amps I'd probably go ATI 600x.    I can't justify buying new unless I consider Class D amps.   The last time I went listening to them IMHO they sucked or maybe I'm just spoiled by my Anthems.   Perhaps they've gotten better since then.  I don't know what are the best but I'd probably want to consider the AT54XNC.   Strangely I can't find squat online with comparison of high end AB amps vs. Class D or any reviews on the AT54XNC amps.    Lastly I have no idea how well my Anthems would sell for even though they are fantastic amps it would probably have to be local pickup which limits who I could sell to.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
No helpful advice , but may be interested in the p2 if you decide to sell .

boe

Thanks!  I got a good laugh out of that.    Who knows if I decide to sell my stuff that might be helpful.   Only problem is I'm in Los Angeles and don't have the original boxes.

witchdoctor

I would suggest getting another P5  for your height speakers. What speakers are you considering for your height channels?

Doublej

Ever read or heard of a class D amplifier being characterized as warm sounding? I have not so unless you can hear one before buying or want to deal with a mail order return it does not seem like a class D amplifier would be good fit for you.

boe

I have some TS-150's I never installed.

Philistine

had a P5 years ago and regret selling it - it was very underrated.  I moved away from multi-channel to two-channel, and found the P5 held its own against highly rated two-channel amps.  I would find another P5...
If you want to know which amps it compared to please send me a PM.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I personally would stay with anthem. Turn the a.c. up a ticht if you have to. This is an occasional activity after all.

ATI makes a great amp - but class d are new so unlikely to find a review soon. Bel canto makes "warm" class d and many B&O icepower amps sound warmish to me. But can't beat a good class  AB anthem or ATI amp for home theater.

Oscillate

"Ever read or heard of a class D amplifier being characterized as warm sounding?"

I have a 4 channel SDS-470 from Class D Audio.
While I cannot say it sounds warm compared to tubes or a class AB from ATI,
in no way does it sound cold or analytical either. It is quite 'musical sounding'.
It is better sounding than the class D modules that Marantz uses in the recievers.
Being 4 channels it might be perfect for DTS-X or Dolby Atmos height channels.
It won't break the bank either ...just a thought.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
BTW : just came back from CES 2017 where I heard a demo of the new ATI class D amp. VERY impressive and musical!  Sure, the TOTL Theta Casablanca IV pre pro and a fleet of TOTL James speakers didn't hurt. Nonetheless - color me impressed. If you want the ATI sound at about half the chassis height - these are your amps! Be aware though that these are not going to be much lighter (still use hefty linear power supplies) or cheaper than the usual ATI home theater amps though!

bummrush

Never hestd Anthem. But im sure they are good.  Anyway i had  early class d ,say 10 yrs ago. The one thing i just couldnt tolerate  was the bass. Maybe its me,but there was way way to much. I hated it..I tried a little tripath amp. It wasnt that bad. But now i just bought a 30 yr old qed integrated ,which for my taste is so much more listenable.This is all for a second system  out in living room. 

ctviggen

Never hestd Anthem. But im sure they are good.  Anyway i had  early class d ,say 10 yrs ago. The one thing i just couldnt tolerate  was the bass. Maybe its me,but there was way way to much. I hated it..I tried a little tripath amp. It wasnt that bad. But now i just bought a 30 yr old qed integrated ,which for my taste is so much more listenable.This is all for a second system  out in living room.

There's such a thing as "too much bass"?   :lol:

Seriously, I'm about to put my 2-channel amp (now unused, in the basement) to run my main tv system, as the Marantz I'm currently using has no bass. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
There's such a thing as "too much bass"?   :lol:
"No".
Trust me. I'm a professional.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I say stick with Anthem - they are one of the few audiophile amps that stands the test of time.