January 21st SMAC meeting at Salk Sound

ricardojoa

Re: January 21st SMAC meeting at Salk Sound
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jan 2012, 04:38 pm »
Anyone noticed anything unusual in this pics?

Big Red Machine

Saturn94

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:28 pm »
Anyone noticed anything unusual in this pics?

The light colored speaker in front of the guy in the dark shirt.  Looks like some version of a SoundScape using a side firing passive radiator?

ricardojoa

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:54 pm »
The light colored speaker in front of the guy in the dark shirt.  Looks like some version of a SoundScape using a side firing passive radiator?

Yes, it looks like to be in between the M7 and SS10.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:10 pm »
Thanks for the pics Pete. Nice to see where the magic happens. Good to see you are fire-safe Jim, though the Fire Marshal won't like the wires hanging from the sprinkler pipe. That's a :nono:

Keep up the great work   :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2012, 07:33 pm »

Another new little gem.  The number of folks who looked to see if a subwoofer was playing really made me chuckle.  Awesome little speaker and I mean awesome.

Thanks for the pics. Looked like fun.

When do we get news about this one?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:05 pm »
I bet folks were looking for the subwoofer when these little speakers were being played because it was being driven by Jim's Fet Valve 600R amplifier.  :D

Best regards and I am glad you had such a nice open house.  We don't have enough room here to try anything like that, but our entire staff, wifes and all, got together recently at the Little Oven in St. Paul for a Pizza party.

I will have Mary post photos of the whole crew together.

Frank Van Alstine

bummrush

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2012, 08:29 pm »
No Cosettas Frank?

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:07 pm »
It sounds like you all had a great time - wish I could have made it.  Thanks for the updates fellas!

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:24 pm »
Wow!  Jim Salk has a very impressive workshop.  It is so clean and organized.  He makes the best looking speakers I have ever seen and it's very cool to see where they are made. 

Years ago, I remember Jim saying he wanted his business to be like a custom guitar manufacturer with high quality, high performing and beautifully crafted products.  It's safe to say he has achieved this goal.  It's great to see people making state of the art speakers in the USA. 

Thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions.  Wish I could have been there!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:28 pm »
I completely missed the cutting and routing room and the veneering and sanding rooms.  Too busy flapping my gums.  You should see their saws and routers!  I've been in the shop a zillion times so I forgot you folks had not seen it. :duh:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:46 pm »
Thanks for the pics.  Just a few miles from my house but I wasn't able to make it  :duh:

One of these days I'll get to a SMAC meeting beyond AKFest.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2012, 08:18 pm »
So Big Red,

What was that awesome 2-way standmount??

And how about some details (drivers, specs, cost)???

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2012, 08:48 pm »
When do we get news about this one?

What was that awesome 2-way standmount??

And how about some details (drivers, specs, cost)???

The individual who commissioned this project referred to it as the WOW1 (W14/OW1).  We thought that had a nice ring to it.  I will post info on it in a separate thread.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2012, 01:38 pm by jsalk »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:51 am »
Thanks Jim.

You're piling up on the number of nice standmounts.  How about a really nice TL powered sub?

In my experience a 6 inch woofer would be plenty in even a larger room, maybe do them as stands for your standmounts to save some coin and space.

rick240

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2012, 03:02 am »
The individual who commissioned this project referred to it as the WOW1 (W14/OW1).  We thought that had a nice ring to it.  I will post info on it in a separate thread.

- Jim

They join Jim's other great small book shelves with the OW1 tweeter, the CAOW1 andMBOW1.

But, if we change the OW for a RAAL ribbon, they would become Veracity HT-Surround Is...

...and, if we took those Song Towers on steroids, shrunk them down to SongSurround II size (and made them front-ported with the neat little slots from the WOW1) they'd become HT-Surround IIs.

So, my current dream HomeTheatre upgrade is 3 HT-Surround IIs across the front, 2 HT-Surround Is for the rear and a pair of Rythmik F12s (in custom Salk cabinets of course), fronted by an Outlaw 978 and powered by a Parasound 5250  :drool:
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2012, 12:44 am by rick240 »

martyo

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:27 pm »
Any SalkStream updates?

jsalk

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:55 pm »
Any SalkStream updates?

The StreamPlayer is now shipping.  We have a few units out in the field now and they are performing very well. 

- Jim

PS:  I should note that we have created a forum for SalkStream owners or potential owners (so as not to bog this forum down).  There are only a few posts there to date, but its a start.  You can see it at www.salksound.com/forum

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2012, 09:34 pm by jsalk »