Re: How to rip Hi-Res

jamesg11

« Reply #60 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:00 am »
& working well for me, in OSX.

Anyone got some tips? - specifically with dvdae, is it enough to just select dvd disc & let it summarise the audio offerings, OR is it always best to look at each file, to see if there's a 24/96 lurking?

Marius

« Reply #61 on: 29 Aug 2011, 02:08 pm »
+1 here, working great.

Only thing that could be better is a translation from chapter to track title. Have to manually edit all chapters now to be meaningful in the resulting rip.
Like to hear tips for that too!

Marius

& working well for me, in OSX.

Anyone got some tips? - specifically with dvdae, is it enough to just select dvd disc & let it summarise the audio offerings, OR is it always best to look at each file, to see if there's a 24/96 lurking?

klao

« Reply #62 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:33 am »
To retrieve DSD information from an SACD you will need 3 things. A transport, converter and workstation.

Transport - We use the Playback Designs MPS-5 ($15k) or the EMM Labs CDSD-SE ($10k) to play an SACD. These machines use a proprietary ST-optical output that streams a DSD signal.

We use 2 methods to capture this DSD stream.

An EMM Labs ADC8-IV ($8500) will capture the ST-optical stream and convert it to SDIF-3, staying in the DSD format.

Then a Pyramix DSD/DXD workstation ($20k) captures in real-time, the DSD data stream.

Instead of the Pyramix, sometimes we use a Sony Sonoma  workstation ($15k) that captures the ST-optical signal from the transport.

Once we have the DSD data, we have to convert it to PCM for HDtracks using a SRC software called Saracon ($2k).

As you can see this is expensive and time consuming to do.

We belive this is the only way to extract DSD data from an SACD. We spent a couple of years trying everything else.

I came across this article.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/features/939-editorials/1497-editorial-notes-on-converting-sacd-music-tracks-to-pcm-in-disc-players.html

Wonder if I should continue downloading from HDTracks for files higher than 88/24?  Thanks in advance for everyone's comment.

Subhunter

« Reply #63 on: 26 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm »
Good thread , thanks !

Don_S

« Reply #64 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:26 pm »
I have only read the first two pages of this thread.  It seems complicated and I fear I am doomed before I start.

DVD Audio Extractor requirements include a Pentium IV or better CPU. I have a Pentium D 3GHZ with 3GB RAM.  Has anyone run DVD Audio Extractor on such a lowly, dated CPU?

I only have 3 DVD-As and two DADs to extract and I am not sure they are worth the trouble.  My impetus for trying extraction is music that I want which is not affordable on CD (OOP) but is available new on DVD-A. That would be Lorna Hunt.  I am not going to buy the DVD-A unless I am sure I can extract it.

Thanks, Don

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #65 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:32 pm »
Don, You can send them to me and I;'ll extract for you if ya want.  Need hard drive or USB thumb drive or something.  But DVDAExplorer or DVD Audio extractor should run ok.

Don_S

« Reply #66 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:50 pm »
Ted,

Thank you for the offer.  I will PM you later. 

Don, You can send them to me and I;'ll extract for you if ya want.  Need hard drive or USB thumb drive or something.  But DVDAExplorer or DVD Audio extractor should run ok.

slingshot

« Reply #67 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm »
As we mentioned, there are two specific tools to rip DVD-based HiRez to your hard rive for later playback via software players, Squeeze Center (up to 24/96) etc.  They address two distinct DVD signal paths.

1)  For those standard DVD's and DAD's that have 2 channel PCM HiRez layers (Neil Young Live at Massey Hall, Classic DAD's like Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else or Muddy Waters Folk Singer...or the DVD-V side of the HDAD of same) the best and easiest tool I've found is called DVD Audio Extractor.  It can be found easily on the Web and has free trials. Here's one link:
http://www.castudio.org/download.php

It rips up to 24/96 (the highest Rez on standard DVD's).

2) As mentioned in the thread above, to rip the "other white meat" of DVD audio lore, the very proprietary Meridian Lossless Packed (MLP) HiREz of DVD-Audio discs (up to 24/192) a piece of software called DVDAExplorer is used.  The link is attached above.  This software looks in the Audio_TS folder (as opposed to the Video_TS folder in DVD-Video discs) and presents the user with the option of ripping the dedicated 2 channel title (name of layer in DVD-Audio world) or the multichannel title (which usually looks like 2 streams, one is labeled lf-rf-ls-rs, the other labeled c-lfe).  You want to rip the 2 channel layer (title) for 2 channel playback.
(Note: multichannel ripping is possible but a subject for another day...wayyyy too much work IMO).

On some DVD-Audio discs (or the DVD-Audio side of the less popular two-sided HDAD's) there is no 2 channel title, only multichannel.  Fear not, for in most of these situations there is a hidden table (called SMART) embedded within the disc that maps the multichannels into a downmix that is quite good and still quite HiRez 924/96 usually).  Discs like Beatles-Love, Natalie Merchant-Tigerlily are examples.  In these cases the later versions of DVDAExplorer has a simple check box called "get stereo donwmix" that will read the SMART table and do the rip properly.  Here is a screenshot from Version 2008.7.21(beta 3)

Let me know if any questions.  Enjoy.

Ted, just saw the info on DVD Audio Explorer (Explorer) and it is great. Thank you for your diligence in putting this and all the other info on the site. (Looking into ripping SACD next, looks pretty formidable.) Do you live near MA? I will be your new best friend.  I had been using DVD Audio Extractor (Extractor) but it wouldn't show 192Hz/24-bit as one of the options. In fact, although there are boxes to click on the left hand side with different time periods only one seems to work. I have the Rat Pack, Live at the Venice Villa in 192Hz/24-bit and as I type this it is being extracted in the Explorer program.  I noticed on all of the tracks the Copy Control states 48Khz/16. Not sure what that means.

I also have the Tommy DVD-Audio. Disc 1 kept showing as 6 channel in the Extractor program although it seems to copied it as two channel. I just ripped it with the Explorer. There are 25 tracks on Disc 1. Extractor ripped 21 and Explorer could only rip 20 tracks. Is there a limit on lenght of time that can be ripped?  Live at the Venice has 29 tracks and the Explorer ripped all of them. I am going to compare all the versions and see if I can hear any difference.  :D

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #68 on: 28 Nov 2014, 07:19 am »
Can DVD-A Extractor rip Blu ray Audio discs such as the recent HFPA ones and others such as The Division Bell and Endless River blu ray disc? I've got a PS3 for SACDs and use DVDAE to rip DVD-A, but my PC doesn't have a blu ray drive, so before I buy an external blu ray drive, I'd like to be sure I can use it to rip my blu ray audio discs.

windhoek

« Reply #69 on: 28 Nov 2014, 11:31 am »
I just remembered I don't really need to rip my blu ray audio discs because I've only got about 10, so for those discs, I can spin them on my OPPO and bitstream the audio to an Exasound E28 or similar via RCA Coaxial. This was one of the reasons I thought I might need an analogue multichannel preamp because I thought I might need to accommodate two m/c sources, but I now realise I don't, doh!

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 28 Nov 2014, 02:26 pm »
Great Info here - I have about 50-60 DVD-As and DADs that I will be ripping over the winter - thanks

windhoek

« Reply #71 on: 14 Mar 2015, 09:41 pm »
I've almost got blu ray audio ripping sorted, but need help with the last part and hope someone here can help out.

I use MakeMKV to rip and decrypt BDA content to my PC's HD then DVD-Audio Extractor to extract the audio content I want e.g. 24/96 multichannel, but DVD-A Extractor extracts audio as one huge file rather than the number of tracks on the album. For instance, I ripped Supertramp's Crime of the Century and now have one very large file rather than eight tracks. What software can I use to split the tracks, preferably done automatically? Or, should I use an alternative method upstream which will produce individual tracks to begin with, if yes, what?

strat95

« Reply #72 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:17 pm »
I've almost got blu ray audio ripping sorted, but need help with the last part and hope someone here can help out.

I use MakeMKV to rip and decrypt BDA content to my PC's HD then DVD-Audio Extractor to extract the audio content I want e.g. 24/96 multichannel, but DVD-A Extractor extracts audio as one huge file rather than the number of tracks on the album. For instance, I ripped Supertramp's Crime of the Century and now have one very large file rather than eight tracks. What software can I use to split the tracks, preferably done automatically? Or, should I use an alternative method upstream which will produce individual tracks to begin with, if yes, what?

I have never tried this out as I don't yet have a Blu-Ray computer drive but the guides put together over at ComputerAudiophile.com are always very good and in depth.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/

TV

windhoek

« Reply #73 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:58 pm »
Thanks for the link strat :) At a glimpse, it looks like using an alternative programme to MakeMKV will allow me to extract individual tracks from blu ray discs and I'll be sure to check the thread out in greater detail ;)

windhoek

« Reply #74 on: 29 Oct 2015, 07:19 pm »
I've ripped everything except some DTS-CDs and wonder how you guys have done it because all I get is white noise.

I had a look on the web and some suggest ripping in WAV (which I did via Dbpoweramp), but when I tried to play via JRiver, nada. Some also said to change the extension from .wav to .dts, but I can't see to do that. How do you guys rips multichannel DTS-CDs? I've only got a few, but Joe Cocker's Night Calls is one of them and I want to rip it for sure. cheers :)

UPDATE: It turns out, all I had to do to get the multichannel DTS tracks to play was turn off some processing in Jriver; as Homer might say: 'Doh!'  :slap:
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2015, 09:39 pm by windhoek »

windhoek

« Reply #75 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:45 am »
I've been ripping BDAs with MKV for a while and last night night decided to try out Passkey so I can rip with DVD Audio Extractor, thereby producing individual tracks rather than a copy of whole albums. It works well and I'm almost certainly going to pay for the full product, but I wonder what the typical rip speeds are as mine are typically 0.5MBps, which means some rips can take over two hours to complete. Is this normal?

Fwiw, my hardware is a 2014 Mac Mini (running Windows 7 via Bootcamp) and a Samsung external Blu ray reader.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slim-3D-External-Blu-ray/dp/B00INGA7ZG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471855472&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+external+blu+ray+drive

p.s. Thanks to Ted and everyone else who made ripping via OPPO possible - the perfect cure for my YLOD PS3 :D

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 22 Aug 2016, 12:20 pm »
As long as you check the box to decrypt (in MKV) then DVDA-Extractor works fine.  I see no need for Passkey, but I might be missing something.  I rip BD's with DVDAE in like 20 min.

windhoek

« Reply #77 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:52 pm »
Using MKV produces one large and lengthy video file rather than individual tracks, which after using DVDAE to extract the multichannel option for example, remains one long audio file rather than individual tracks - albeit the file is much smaller in size. Passkey when used in conjunction with DVDAE produces individual tracks however, but is painfully slow at typically 0.5MBps. And 'Decrypt' is always checked.

Ah I just realised you said you rip BDs using DVDAE; how do you do that? That would make sense as using MKV to rip then DVDAE to extract the particular audio option is a long way for a shortcut seemingly...

... I just tried one possible method: inserting a disc, launching MKV and clicking backup (with decrypt checked) but not executing, then launching DVDAE to rip, but it crashed. Mmmm

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 22 Aug 2016, 03:52 pm »
Backup with decrypt checked is the way to do it, as I documented earlier (somewhere  :) ).  If DVDAE crashed then the decrypt didn't work (DVDAE crashes when presented an encrypted BD file).

windhoek

« Reply #79 on: 22 Aug 2016, 05:17 pm »
It turns out I've been doing it wrong all along - hence the long, single audio files I've been getting after using DVDAE to extract audio from MKV rips. I've been navigating to a particular file in the MKV rip folder and choosing that as a single AOB/VOB file rather than selecting 'DVD folder' as source and navigating DVDAE to that folder - doh!

Unfortunately I didn't keep a back up of those folders once I'd ripped them, so will need to re-rip so I can do it right and have individual tracks rather than long, single audio files. I've only got about 20 BDs, so it won't take too long, but damn, I wish I'd got it right first time lol

I can now forget about Passkey and you're right Ted, it only takes about 20 minutes to extract the audio files from the MKV rip :)