Mye Stands

berni

Re: Mye Stands
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »
How good or necessary are Mye stands for MG 20.1? Do they improve the lower section a lot?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm »
Those 20.1s still have those same silly little feet, do they not? 
That's a hell of a big, heavy panel with some really small supports.
I've tried to interest Magnepan in addressing this issue but that's not going to change anytime soon.

andyr

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:47 am »

How good or necessary are Mye stands for MG 20.1? Do they improve the lower section a lot?

IMO Mye stands improve any Maggie ... and the bigger the bass panels they have, the more improvement is achieved.  :)

Regards,

Andy

berni

« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2011, 04:58 pm »
I own the 20.1 for some 2 months now, very suprised about the great sound and wide stage, but I think there is lot of music  still hidden in them. I was thinking what a small rigid tube(different profiles can be chosen) would do, if screwed to the back side, all the lenght of the panel. This would also give a lot of rigidity , maybe even more then the Mye stands which support only one point in the middle of the panel.
Sorry for my bad english. I'm from Slovenia.
Bernard
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2011, 08:24 am by berni »

andyr

« Reply #24 on: 8 Apr 2011, 10:59 pm »
I own the 20.1 for some 2 months now, very suprised about the great sound and wide stage, but I think there is lot of music  still hidden in them. I was thinking what a small rigid tube (different profile can be chosen) would do, if screwed to the back side, all the lenght of the panel. This would also give a lot of rigidity , maybe even more then the Mye stands which support only one point in the middle of the panel.
Sorry for my bad english. I'm from Slovenia.
Bernard

Hey Bernard,

You lucky man, owning some 20.1s.  :)  Your thinking is correct - supporting the (floppy) MDF frame with just a single strut in the middle is not ideal; adding a square tube each side, behind the panel, is a better thing to do.  So yes, you need to stiffen the MDF frame but you also need to stop the panels swaying back and forth.

Have a look in the gallery here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=user;id=323

... to see the stands which I developed for my IIIas.  The pic on the left is my original stands - as you can see, the steel "arms" bolt to the back of the frames in 3 places, each side.  The pic on the right shows what I subsequently had made up ... the front part of each A-frame strut screws to the back of the frame.

BTW, your written English is fine!   :)

Good luck,

Andy

berni

« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2011, 07:27 am »
Hey Andy,
great work!
Only I was thinking to use some aluminium profile which doesn't adds so mouch weight, can be almost invisible from the side . You really  dont want to do a mash on the backside, this can and will interact with the sound.
I was thinking to use one that is wider but not so high, aluminium profiles can get pretty more stiff then regular stell tubes.You also have the possibility of connecting them with system bolts, no welding required., that means they can be pretty coll.
here some examples of profiles, did not really made up my mind which to use
http://www.minitec.si/izdelki.php

these was also done by me , a hifi rack made with adjustable tables on aluminium bars(but I don't use it any more)

http://www.audio-kontakt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1135

Thanks Andy!

With regards
Bernard

berni

« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2011, 04:47 pm »
I was listening to some music with more low fq power and recognized some movement of the frame . When I pressed my ear to the frame I could clearly hear which part of the frame moved with the music mostly.
I think that givinmg more rigidity to the frame, without adding mass will lead to more precise middle and low end , also increasing the low end power.
I am really thinking about doing it out of milled aluminum to get the most rigidity and little mass.
A sort like on the picture but not the same form.
I also have a question! Can I unscrew all the screws in the line of the handle without worry that the 20.1 will fall apart. Then I will use the same screws to tighten the milled aluminium strut.

« Last Edit: 1 May 2011, 08:11 am by berni »

berni

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2011, 01:59 pm »
All measurements are done, the sketches made, aluminum ordered. I think in a week they will be ready, black anodized and assembled. Will send photos of the process.