Bryston Bit 15 Power Conditioner

Phil

Bryston Bit 15 Power Conditioner
« on: 24 Mar 2012, 07:37 pm »
A Bryston Bit 15 power conditioner now sits next to an equi=tech unit, powering, respectively, amp and source components.    Each conditioner is plugged into its own dedicated outlet. 

Is this total overkill? 

Not from the perspective of performance and protecting equipment.  My system never sounded this musical, and that is with a I’m-between-amps amp.  Folks who have considered this kind of setup, and want to make this kind of investment, might give this a try (clearly, many have already). 

What was in my head when I went this route?  Well, the logic went like this:

More juice needed -- The equi=tech wasn’t designed to power whole systems but it does a great job with sources. 

More isolation is better -- IMO, isolation transformers/balance power units are great at separating gear from grunge, but, when digital gear is involved, not always great at separating individual pieces of equipment from each other, so two conditioners are better than one, epecially when powered by different dedicated lines.

Future-proof is desirable -- These kind of conditioners last a very long time.  I don’t know how my system or requirements might change, so a conditioner that would ultimately power any amp and drive any complete future total system (battery powered dac, for example, would allow this), is the way to go.

Power conditioning is fundamental -- I’ve tried lots of kinds of conditioners and they have all made a positive change.  If tI had a dedicated listening room, I’d be playing with the other fundamental -- room conditioning.  Luckily, open architecture and cathedral ceilings work very well - no complaints.

Surge protection and voltage regulation are desirable -- annual monsoons reliably bring lighting, blackouts and brownouts.  I’ve spent too much money (ask my wife  :icon_surprised:) to not protect my equipment.  Had this not been the case, Bryston has less expensive units without surge protection. 

This rationalization completed, the new conditioner had to be...

small (rack = heavy oak furniture, residing in the living room, not designed to fit audio behemoths.
      this little anvil weighs 44.5 pounds, with dimensions of 17”w x 11.3”d x 4”h

audiophile grade (Bryston uses similar transformers in its three top models, nuff said)

cosmetically fit with other gear (matches the BDP-1 and same height and width as equi=tech)

Anyway, long post, but thought it might be helpful to someone trying to maximize their gear but who has limited space and/or other constraints.   Bryston does it right.   

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Bryston Bit 15 Power Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 08:41 pm »

I don’t know how my system or requirements might change, so a conditioner that would ultimately power any amp and drive any complete future total system (battery powered dac, for example, would allow this), is the way to go.

Hi Phil :  Thanks for the review! I just wanted to mention that, from my experience, the BIT 15 may not actually supply power to any amp without incident. I had a BIT 15 for a while and plugging both of my 7B's into it made it buzz like an apiary. After having the BIT 15 checked out resulted in less-than-satisfactory improvement, I ended up going to a BIT 20 which got rid of the problem completely.

Glad to hear you're happy with your BIT. I sure do like mine.  :thumb:

D.D.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2012, 09:22 pm »
Hi DD,
Thanks for the clarification. 

Two of those beautiful behemoths would never fit in my living room, but I'm glad they work out for you.  Must be awesome, you lucky dog.   :D 

Which reminds me:  I should have mentioned that, as used, there is no noise at all.  The "lono" technology works.  Pretty cool given the size of that toroid!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:15 am »
Hi DD,
Two of those beautiful behemoths would never fit in my living room, but I'm glad they work out for you. 

Nonsense, my man - 7B's are like Jell-O...there's always room for them ! :green:
Have fun!

D.D.