Olive One music player

HT cOz

Olive One music player
« on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:37 pm »
Has anyone seen the development of the Olive One music player? http://www.indiegogo.com/oliveone

Looks intersting, perhaps an open source device like this could fill the future voild that Logitech has created with Squeezebox line.

saeyedoc

Re: Olive One music player
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:43 pm »
From what I've seen, it initially won't have an analog or digital output, just two 30W or so amps to drive speakers.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:11 pm »
It's a really sleek and beautiful piece in aluminum and glass, but as saeyedoc notes, it is lacking analog line outs or digital audio outputs.  It seems to be more a lifestyle piece than an audiophile player fufilling the "other rooms" less stringent requirements but not the main system.

Has anybody come across any photos detailing the connection from it to the Olive Pac! power supply/cable spool?  It sounds like you may be limited to the built-in 10' speaker cables which are terminated how?

Steve

jhm731

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2012, 09:48 am »
I like the concept (especially for a 2nd system), but my hesitation would be with the power amps (quality/power).  Hopefully that's part of the customization mentioned (with good quality digital amps so inexpensive/small/cool running, why not?).  Maybe they could even design each DAC/pre, memory, and each power channel to be on a separate pop in/out module/board (like adding memory or swapping HD's in a computer).

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:11 pm »
If it was just a controller I would be all over it.

harley52

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2012, 08:31 pm »
Hey guys,

I had a 45 minute post on this subject to answer everyones questions and some how I did something that erased it.
 Maybe later I'll try again,ok.

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:25 pm »
From what I've seen, it initially won't have an analog or digital output, just two 30W or so amps to drive speakers.

Looks like this changed!

srb

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:40 pm »
Looks like this changed!

From the Olive One website:

We are in the process of designing an additional connector box* that provides analog out (RCA), digital out (Coax) and USB so you can connect ONE to your amplifier, receiver, or USB DAC. Ethernet connectivity might also be added and we will provide an update soon.

*sold seperately, price to be determined

http://www.myoliveone.com/Designs

Steve

totoro

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:47 pm »
Looks like if you go in for it now, you get that box for free. My big couple of questions about it have to do with genre->album->artist browsing and whether it will support multiple tag values. IMHO not being able to browse by genre (as in subsonic) is so crippling as to make a music server suboptimal enough for me that I would never pay for it.

The multiple tags thing sounds funny, but I use it for things like making a track "Baroque:Viola da Gamba:Chamber Music" and being able to find it from any of those. I know the tag spec doesn't support it, but I don't really care: making each tag unique like that is IMHO a severe malfeature. Sonos just chooses the first tag value it sees. I got a sonos play for my bedroom, made a copy of my music with one genre per track, and find it really crappy to browse.

Sent them an email, it will be interesting to see what they say. If these things are done, could be a pretty cool thing for me.