perfect and cheap Power amp for sub?

espressif

perfect and cheap Power amp for sub?
« on: 21 Jan 2015, 04:24 pm »
Hi all,

I saw this amp today:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU1000DSP.aspx

Seems perfectly suited for a biamped setup: enough Power (150 w /ch),  integrated, USB controlable DSP (yes!) and ridiculously cheap...

I'm playing with this lovely setup since a couple of months and think of replacing the Bryston/MiniDSP combo:

- Bass: Alpha 15A in H frame powered by a Bryston 60 w integrated amp via minDSP. Active xover at 120 Hz

- Medium/high: Mark audio Alpair 12P OB powered by a SE2A3 (full range)

Any opinion?

brad944911

Re: perfect and cheap Power amp for sub?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:06 pm »
  I just ordered the exact amp for my subs.  I originally started with sealed boxes under the original "Hestia" build from this site and they just did not sound right with the openness of the midbass and bass.  So I converted them to U-frame subs, since the enclosure was nearly perfect for that config, and powered them with a Crown XLS 1000 using the built in low pass x-over.  The problem: I need EQ to get appreciable response any where near the lower end.  I looked at miniDSP but thought I could do better.  Currently I'm using Crown CDI amps with DSP onboard and I love it!! So I do a search for amps with DSP and find the Behringer.  It seemed to have great reviews EXCEPT for fan noise, but that's an $11 fix.  I should have mine mid next week and if no one chimes in, I'll let ya know what my impressions are.
Good luck,
Brad

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:58 pm »
Sounds like a good match.

In the past, when playing around with OB subs, my go to amps were used Yamaha Pro amps.  Bulletproof and plenty of juice for the $.

I even used a graphic EQ to help me tune the bass.  The ability to "see" and hear, all for $0 since I had it lying around was ideal.

espressif

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:22 pm »
Hi Brad,

Please, keep us informed about the sonic quality of the amp.

I also heard about the fan issue... Another user said that he deconnected it without other problem than occasionnal self power off on long duration loud signals. I listen myself at very very raisonnable levels, so I guess that simply keeping the top of the case removed could suffice.

On the other hand, the miniDSP kit works very well with a sub and is a wonderfull developpement tool, but I can't say i ways thrilled with the sound on full range. I tried also the MiniDSP board (NanoDigi) with spdif in/out and higher resolution but it was also a deception in term of sonic. Thin and harmonicaly poor rendition. I have yet to make another test with my new DAC I really love (Grant fidelity Tube DAc 11).

Bastien

notany

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:35 pm »
Hi,
  Just throwing this in.  I haven't heard it and no DSP or X-over but gobs of power and $250!!!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-x3000-stereo-2x750w-power-amp

brad944911

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:04 pm »
  Well guys, here's what I'm thinking about the inuke so far....GET RID OF THE FACTORY FAN!!!  Holy cow that thing is noisy!  My amps are mounted low in a rack and I could still hear it...from power up on...droning away.  I've already ordered a replacement for $13.  I'll let ya know if it's the trick like others say it is.
  Besides that the DSP works great.  The interface is intuitive and easy to use, but it is a bit clunky if you're used to System Architect used in Crown amps.  All in all, it's fine though.  I used a LP shelf filter at 20Hz, 12dB to get more out of my subs and it is perfect!  There seems to be plenty of power and headroom left, so a total win.  For $200 or less, I don't think it can be beat for a NEW amp. 
  If there's any specific questions, fire away and I'll guinea pig for y'all  :wink:
Brad

brad944911

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:00 pm »
Noisy fan problem....SOLVED. I ordered the Noctua NF-R8 fan and it is perfect. You will not need any of the resistors supplied...the ULNoise one won't even let the fan run. At full speed it's almost dead silent with the amp on a bench and at the lowest of listening levels it's inaudible at 8 feet away. I did remove the factory shroud, but I'd really doesn't seem to make a difference with this fan. All around a thumbs up for a sub amp. Reading the spec sheet, it may not be the cleanest for mids or highs, but I may try one if one of the Crowns dies.  Good luck guys.
Brad

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2015, 04:30 pm »
I've been using a single Dayton APA-150 to drive two OB Alphas per side in stereo. There's plenty of power on tap with the Alphas connected in parallel.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2015, 02:14 pm »
I tried the Behringer and the fan drove me nuts. I couldn't be bothered replacing it.

I suggest picking up a used Crown Xti or Cdi. Gobs of power, very comprehensive built-in EQ (you can do dipole EQ with it), warranty regardless of ownership.

Mine cost me $150 and is good enough to drive my mains as well as the subs I bought it for.

matevana

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2015, 06:47 pm »
I tried the Behringer and the fan drove me nuts. I couldn't be bothered replacing it.

I suggest picking up a used Crown Xti or Cdi. Gobs of power, very comprehensive built-in EQ (you can do dipole EQ with it), warranty regardless of ownership.

Mine cost me $150 and is good enough to drive my mains as well as the subs I bought it for.

+1

And the Crown CTS line has a damping factor of > 3000 between 10-100Hz which in my opinion, is one of the more useful stats when assessing an amp for open baffle woofers. If you aren't using a servo sub, its helpful to have the motor control that the higher damping factor provides.  And the CTS line can be had on the cheap 2nd hand!