Looking to add a Grado to my collection

SET Man

Re: Looking to add a Grado to my collection
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
Hey!

Wow! eh?  :lol: This is why I've been using Grado headphone since 1996. :D

Just give them more hours to settling in. Grado headphones are easy to drive and you can plug them in computer, iPod and etc.

Hmmm... not a bad way to spend tax refund. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:35 am »
Milford3,
Dude you have a serious illness!
So cool you are picking up some really nice equipment.
Hope they make you happy but I'm anxious to see what you go after next!
Enjoy man!
Bob2

FireGuy

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:13 am »
Milford3,
Dude you have a serious illness!
So cool you are picking up some really nice equipment.
Hope they make you happy but I'm anxious to see what you go after next!
Enjoy man!
Bob2

Yikes...Milford3 is on a roll.  Looking forward to hearing the T1's and now the new Grados next week.   We'll pair them up with Pioneer SX-850 SS amp and the small but mighty NuFore Udac2 knowing the 600 ohm is tough to do on this unit.

To quote a song title from Opeth - "To Rid the Disease"

Heard this seasonal Saranac goes well with Beyers, Grados and Axioms.  Confirmation then is a must.

milford3

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm »
Spent all day on the Grados yesterday.  Just one incredible headphone.  One thing Fireguy,  I will be bringing this with me:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2013, 08:02 pm »
...so like 4 hours ago I read through this thread and decided to listen to my Grado's (modded sr125's-limba wood etc). I instantly remembered why I love the sound so much, it was like time stopped!! I just woke up from my Grado goner nap!!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2013, 05:26 pm »
Welcome to the Grado/Beyer club, Milford!  :thumb:

I love the way my T1s complement the Grados and vice versa....I could very happily live with either, but it's so much more fun having both  :lol:

milford3

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:29 pm »
The WOW factor with the Grado RS1i is just WOW!!!  BTW, the Makers Mark is all gone.  Not surprising.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2013, 08:30 pm »
the Makers Mark is all gone
Mercy!

milford3

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2013, 09:05 pm »
We had a great weekend with Grados and the Beyer T1's.  Best part of the trip to Buffalo was the Opeth concert.  If one is into this type of music that Opeth plays I highly recommend Opeth.

FireGuy

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2013, 12:41 am »
Great weekend Milford3 for sure.  If this is what retirement is going to be like...look out.   I too bow to the Grado/Beyer combo.  Best amp/phone marriage I found was the Pioneer SX-850 SS with the T1's.  So transparent, like riding in a Duesenberg hitting on all cylinders with your best girlfriend of your life next to you.  That good.   With the limited time we did not get the Schitt Vahalla up and running but I know it's similar to the Pioneer SS amp and we'll get to that later this year.  Let's not forget the performance of the Axiom M2V3's, more on that later.  I'm still tired!!

milford3

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:01 am »
The Axiom M2v3's were almost lost with all the headphone listening.  The M2's floored me with the soundstage.  A bookshelf with this size and the bass it provides is amazing to say the least.  I still say "don't sub these out." :finger: :finger: :finger:

milford3

« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:04 pm »
Next up on my headphone radar is the AKG 702.  Looks like a winner with a winner of a price tag to boot.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-702-black.php

Bostown

• BASS CLUB [Boston Audio Stereo & Social Club]
    • Second Time Sound - Audio Gear Re-Purposed
« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2013, 11:51 am »
Mod vs. Upgrade.   -  I modded a set of 225's for the project aspect of modding , not expecting anything significant soundwise and did it more for personalization.  when I finally compared the mods to stock units there was a noticeable difference. Not a "better/worse" but just different. I like them both.  I recently acquired a pair of RS2 and the modded SR225s sound and look as good.  Cost were about the same.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2013, 01:52 pm »
Bostown I have the same situation here, I took a pair of 125's and modded them for the fun of it and found that they ended up sounding really good to me. We basically cutomize the sound to our individual taste when we do that so I'm afraid if I buy a new pair I will be slightly let down.
 I love the look and all of the PS500's but will they be worth the $550 I would need to put out to get them?? How close will they sound to my current ones?? I would have to be amazed and totally blown away to be OK with that kind of cash outlay knowing how much I like what I have so I'm just holding off until they age or I get/find an unbelievable deal somewhere.

:thumb:

milford3

« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2013, 11:26 am »
I've been enjoying my Grados for about four weeks now.  After thirty plus hours the are sounding fantastic.  One little bug I have is about the uncomfortable ear pads.  Does anyone know where to buy replace pads that are more comfortable than the original?

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2013, 05:26 pm »
I've been enjoying my Grados for about four weeks now.  After thirty plus hours the are sounding fantastic.  One little bug I have is about the uncomfortable ear pads.  Does anyone know where to buy replace pads that are more comfortable than the original?

Try this first...

1) take off pads while admiring beauty of Grado phones
2) toss pads in with laundry
3) Add fabric softener
4) Toss in dryer with laundry
5) Replace pads while admiring beauty of Grado headphones and anticipating your next joyous listening session with greater comfort
6) Repeat if desired for extra softness

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2013, 06:07 pm »
Agree with the recommendation about washing them.  I simply washed them in dish soap a few times, it helped.

I also moved to the giant pads (like the GS1000's) once I modded the drivers.  Lots of ideas on Head Fi about what can be done.  I think there was some kind of Senn or Beyer pad you could use too.

milford3

« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2013, 06:29 pm »
Yea I did read about the Senn 414 pads fit on the Grado RS's.  But first I'll try the washing machine.  I hope my boxers enjoy the company with the ear pads. :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2013, 06:32 pm »
I've done it with all four pairs of my Grados and it worked great each time. The stiffest ones were the pads on the 325s for some reason, and even those came out great after two cycles. The comfies on the SR80s are like "buttah"...I can't even tell they're on my head after hours of listening. Even the big bagels on the GS1000s came out great. All the scratchy-ness is gone.

Hope they get along with the boxers  :lol:

milford3

« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2013, 02:45 pm »
Ajzepp,  took your advice and had the ear pads swimming with the boxers.   They came out of the dryer softer than I would have expected.  I do believe one more dip in the ocean should soften the pads up even more.  Great advice!