New Review of IDA-16 Integrated Digital Amp and DAC

John Casler

« on: 30 Dec 2014, 08:33 am »

CLICK HERE for the link to the New Review (Jan 1 2015)

« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2014, 04:37 pm by John Casler »

dr.sah

Re: New Review of IDA-16 Integrated Digital Amp and DAC
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2015, 12:52 pm »
Would be good, if you can make same amp with more power, let's say IDA-20.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2015, 05:41 pm »
Would be good, if you can make same amp with more power, let's say IDA-20.

I can't say what is "coming down the line", but having lived with the IDA-16 for some time with some rather power hungry speaker (VMPS RM-40) I can say it "seems" to be more powerful, than 200wpc. (before this I was running 335wpc on my Mid/Tweet section and 525wpc on the woofers, and didn't notice much sonic difference at normal listening levels)

That said, the current potential alternatives, would be to go with the DAC-10 or DAC-10H and a pair of ST-10 (150wpc x 2) if your speakers have the ability to bi-amp.

Then of course there is always the REF-18 (335wpc) and REF-20 (420wpc)

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2015, 05:47 pm »
This sure reads like a rave review to me.
Can't understand why it wasn't made a 'recommended component' after apositive review like this?!

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
John,
After living with the IDA16 for some time, what are your longer term  user impressions?
I'm thinking you use this as your main rig?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2015, 06:45 pm »
John,
After living with the IDA16 for some time, what are your longer term  user impressions?
I'm thinking you use this as your main rig?

Hi Bill,

Long term has not changed and I continue to marvel at the amp section and its power with my speakers.

I think the only way to maybe get an improvement, is to go with separates, which is what I am doing shortly, with the DAC-10 and a pair of Monoblocs.

That said, if anyone missed it, and I will make an announcement soon, the MSRP of the IDA-16, which is currently still at the introductory $2350 will be going to $2500 shortly.

dr.sah

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2015, 07:12 pm »
So, ref 18 is more powerful than IDA. I was looking only Watts.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2015, 08:30 pm »

Eugene2

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2015, 08:33 pm »
i agree with John and the reviewer in there assessment of the IDA 16.  I think I got mine sometime in August and initially used it with Goldenear Triton Sevens which together IMHO performed way beyond their price point.  Very clean sound with excellent imaging and bass control.  Recently I received my main speakers back from Vapor audio with extensive upgrades.  They were originally the Cirrus, now they have an upgraded midrange from Audio Technology and bass cabinet with a 11" audio tech woofer and we upgraded the caps to Dueland RS.  I also added two PS Audio components the DSD and Transport.  While the speakers are still breaking in the IDA 16 used as an amp controls this speaker extremely well. The bass is subterranean, imaging is absolutely unbelievable.  I did feel the sound was a little clinical at times, I was using an Ifi purifier and an IFi power in the chain.  Yesterday I removed the purifier and the sound became more musical and the soundstage opened up even more.  I believe the DSD may not like the Purifier.  I'm going to play with it a little more.  One of my favorite test CDs is a cd by Kip Hanrahan "The First and Last To Love Me" it is almost x rated in lyrics but it has some terrific interplay between vocals and instruments.  On a very good system it is almost spooky during quite passages.  The IDA 16 and PS DSD without the purifier sounded fantastic on the absolutely awesome Vapor speakers.  Finally for me the amp never sounded strained, power is ample and clean a bargain at the price.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 12:43 am by Eugene2 »

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2015, 09:02 pm »
So, ref 18 is more powerful than IDA. I was looking only Watts.

Yes the IDA-16 is a strong 200 wpc. the REF-18 is 335 wpc

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2015, 10:26 pm »
I am not certain, but I think there should be an IDA-16 review quite soon, in ABSOLUTE SOUND (maybe the next issue)

I know I was "in contact" with a reviewer a couple months ago regarding questions he had for the review.

bh46118

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2015, 01:27 am »
Can anyone read French text ? If so, can you read the IDA-16 review shown on pages 60 and 62 out of the December 2014 issue of Stereo Prestige & Image and tell us what it says ?  :green: If you scroll down, you will see the pages.

Thanks
Bruce

http://next-audio.blogspot.com/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:25 am »
John,

The IDA-16 looks pretty impressive. I just sent the link to the review to my buddy who is considering a competitor's similar (but considerably more expensive) product.

:thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2015, 07:34 pm »
John,

The IDA-16 looks pretty impressive. I just sent the link to the review to my buddy who is considering a competitor's similar (but considerably more expensive) product.

:thumb:

Yes, as a dealer for NuPRIME, I have a few who were looking at some very high priced alternatives and opted to go with the IDA-16 and are VERY HAPPY.  :thumb:

bh46118

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2015, 05:14 am »
For those of you thinking of possibly upgrading from the DDA-100 to the IDA-16, but not sure if the improvement is worth the extra cost, I believe it is well worth it and then some. I've been listening to the IDA-16 for the last three days and have been thrilled with the sound. The DDA is ultra resolving of low level detail at its price point, but the trade off is a somewhat cool, austere quality in the mids and treble. It is a great unit for the money, actually unbeatable I believe, but the IDA is oh so much better. Compared to the DDA-100, the IDA 16 is far more resolving while at the same time exhibiting zero grain or edge, has a huge 3D soundstage, has amazing bass control, still sounds fully fleshed out and engaging even at very low volume levels, it just has a rightness about the sound that draws you in and holds your attention. All buzzwords and descriptions aside, it just sounds a whole lot like real music. The true test of a good or bad system is simple, do you feel a sense or relief when you switch it off, or do you daydream about getting back home so you can turn it on ?  The IDA-16 is a winner. :thumb:

Bruce

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:57 pm »
That "rightness" to the sound that Bruce speaks of is due to its amazing balance and neutrality.

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
This sure reads like a rave review to me.
Can't understand why it wasn't made a 'recommended component' after apositive review like this?!

This review has just been published. I think there is a dateline for Recommended Component.

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:20 pm »
.. almost spooky during quite passages.  The IDA 16 and PS DSD without the purifier sounded fantastic on the absolutely awesome Vapor speakers.  Finally for me the amp never sounded strained, power is ample and clean a bargain at the price.

Why not just go with computer and IDA-16 only? It already has the DSD DAC.

DigitalDomain

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:18 am »
I’m the owner of modern sounds, a new on-line audio store dedicated to the computer audiophile and leading edge audio technologies. We recently launched our web store on December 12, 2014 and made our first sale the following day. It was for the NuPrime Audio IDA-16 digital integrated amplifier.

This integrated amplifier is an excellent example of what modern technology can bring to the world of audio. It has an integrated DAC that can decode anything I’m aware of, a built in preamp with a line input for another source, and a 200W class D amplifier that sounds far superior to separate components that far exceed it’s very reasonable price.

Our first customer replaced an Aesthetix preamplifier, a pair of Wyetech Labs mono block amplifiers and all associated cabling including interconnect and power products. In all, several thousand dollars worth of equipment. The NuPrime Audio IDA-16 simply sounds better and it does so at a fraction of the cost of traditional audiophile products.

Another customer replaced a Jolida tube amplifier and you can read his comments on our web site that can be found here - http://www.modernsounds.com/blogs/reviews-testimonials If you scroll to the very bottom you will find his comments just after the SoundStage review of the IDA-16.

We have three other customers who have yet to add their comments but by all accounts, everyone is clearly impressed with the sound of this new audio company and their impressive digital integrated amplifier.

Another curious thing to note are the speakers some people are using with it. Brian, my associate in Quebec, is using his IDA-16 to drive a pair of Martin Logan, Summit X speakers. That’s an electrostatic speaker that lists for $14,995 USD. The sound of the IDA-16 driving that speaker is the best sound he has heard and by a wide margin. That speaker should be fairly revealing and if there were any issues at all they would likely show up clearly yet he reports that he can find no fault with the sound quality of that unit.

I even experimented hooking it up to my Sound Lab A-1PX electrostatic loudspeakers just to hear what such a combination might deliver. That’s an integrated amplifier at $2,350 USD list driving a pair of statement speakers that list for $31,100 a pair. Although I did not push the amplifier hard, as the Sound Labs can dip to around 1 ohm, it delivered very impressive sound. I later found out that the Martin Logan speaker Brian is using drops down to 0.8 ohms and he can drive it to any volume so likely I was being timid when clearly I didn’t have to be. This amplifier can deliver and it can do so on a very impressive scale!

This is a formula I have been working through with a number of local audiophiles. Although it sometimes involves other components and sometimes involves separates like the NuPrime Audio DAC-10 and the NuForce Reference 20 amplifiers, we are using statement speakers on a pure digital system with remarkable results. Far superior to any analog playback I have yet encountered and I was using Studer A820 Master Recorders with reel-to-reel tape just a few short years ago. The sound of a modern digital system is simply far superior to any analog system and it accomplishes this at a fraction of the cost.

We now have three large scale installations using NuForce products within the first few weeks of the new year. Two feature the new NuForce Reference 20 amplifiers and one features the older NuForce Reference 9V3SE mono blocks. All are pure digital high-resolution systems using statement speakers. The IDA-16 is capable of producing remarkably realistic music and it represents a new family of products I’m sure we are going to be hearing more about. They are simple, elegant solutions that perform better than anything in the price range. For anyone looking to enter the world of computer audio, the IDA-16 is a great entry point and for anyone who has the opportunity to own one, they will have an extremely enjoyable system for years to come.

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 9 Feb 2015, 08:41 pm »
If John didn't post it on his Facebook, I almost missed this wonderful review:
http://totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_ida_16.html
Extract from the review:
So we have come to the conclusion (which we may well yet go further on), that much of what we are hearing when listening to digital sources through the IDA-16 is not in fact from the higher resolution promised by the specification of the DAC section, but from the attributes of the amplifier - both pre and power sections. And that the IDA-16 can't be pigeon-holed as a 'digital' product. Regardless of your most favoured format, this is a new amplifier that really demands your attention and offers remarkable value for those who appreciate the best of both analogue and digital.

The NuPrime IDA-16 delivers more sound quality, power and sophistication than any other DAC and amplifier combination, digital or analogue we've heard regardless of cost. This isn't a statement we make without a lot of consideration and listening. NuPrime have delivered a remarkable product at a better-than-fair price that you'll be thrilled to own, both now and for years to come.