"Guitar Burst" finish in Silver Grey with Black trim over Fiddleback Sycamore

droht

This pic is from Jim's web site, sample custom veneers section.  Does anyone have this finish?  Any more pics?  I really like the black/grey tones.  Very unique.

Nuance

Is this the same one?

droht

Is this the same one?

Sure looks like it.  Thanks Nuance.  I must of missed that on salksound.

I'd be curious to see other pics of black/silver/grey finishes.

Nuance

Oh, here is the original thread and specifications, droht.  There's a closeup of the veneer too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48311.0

droht

Thanks again Nuance.  Jim mentions that they are tiger maple in that thread.  Definitely the same speakers though.  Crazy-beautiful.

vintagebob

Is this the same one?

Sure looks like it.  Thanks Nuance.  I must of missed that on salksound.

I'd be curious to see other pics of black/silver/grey finishes.

droht,

You can review Jim's Facebook page for additional photos.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salk-Signature-Sound/86706101669?ref=nf#/pages/Salk-Signature-Sound/86706101669?v=photos&viewas=1374426941&ref=nf

and you can also review the Veracity of the Month section of the main website for more photos.

http://www.salksound.com/vom_2007_apr_1.shtml

I hope that helps.  He sure makes some stunning enclosures!

P.S. You can look at raw veneers here: (thanks Jazzcat)

http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?products_id=7260
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm by vintagebob »

TJHUB

Mine are actual English Fiddleback Sycamore with the guitar finish in black.  I had Jim error on the side of too dark, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

Jim is building my HT2 Center right now.  I hope he gets a good match on the finish...  He says he will.  I guess if you can't trust Jim, who can you trust?  :wink:

evan1

TJHUB which Emotiva amp do you have and how does it sound

TJHUB

TJHUB which Emotiva amp do you have and how does it sound

I don't run Emotiva gear any more.  I switched to Parasound now running a 2100 preamp with a 2250 2-channel amp.  I had the MMC-1 pre/pro with the IPS-1 7-channel class H amp.  The amp was wonderful, but I didn't like the MMC-1.  The IPS-1 was a very neutral sounding amp with great separation.  I don't know I'd say my Parasound 2250 is anything less though.

Many Emotiva guys I respect felt the IPS-1 was one of the best amps Emotiva made.  This was comparing it to the likes of the XPA-3 and 5.  I think the XPA-2 may bring something to the table, but the real winner right now would be the XPA-1 mono-blocks.  If I were to ever go back to Emo, the XPA-1s are the only amp I'd consider over what I have now.

I know Jim Salk heard the XPA-2 and thought is was decent.  That has to mean something.  :wink:

droht

Very nice TJHUB.  Very nice.

TJHUB

Very nice TJHUB.  Very nice.

Thanks.  :)

jsalk

This effect can be done over almost any maple or sycamore veneer.  The figuring patterns can vary greatly from fiddleback to quilted to curly to tiger stripe, etc.  The challenge is to find the type of figuring pattern you want.

The particular pair shown in the first post was some extremely nice tiger maple (which is quite rare).  While we have never done this finish in quilted maple (and it would be quite expensive), I think that would be spectacular.

- Jim

TomQ

I am a similar finish with a complete home theatre H3/H2
 setup

Nuance

Very nice, TomQ!  I've always loved the Guitar Burst/Fire Burst look. 

TomQ

Also Jim made a unique set of H2's for  my surround setup to hang on the back walls

Brian Bunge

Jim,

How do you think this finish would look on ribbon mahogany?

jsalk

Brian -

Jim,

How do you think this finish would look on ribbon mahogany?

Well, I don't know if I would try this exact finish.  The problem is, the transparent gray would mix with the base color of the mahogany and you would probably end up with a very dirty looking color.

Gray works best with very white wood.

But you could use shades of brown to achieve a very similar look in colors that would complement the mahogany.  Here is an example of something we just did with sapele pommele which is in a similar color palette.

- Jim