For Sale: Piano Black Unifield 3 MK1

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: For Sale: Piano Black Unifield 3 MK1
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:09 am »
HEAR, HEAR!  :thumb:

Mike11

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm »
What should be done to increase the bass response of the Unifield 3s?

JackD201

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2013, 03:23 am »
Hi Mike,

All you need to do is pull out some of the dacron stuffing through the bass module's QTL port. You can do this with a cote hanger. I recommend having a kitchen scale on hand so you can remove exactly the same amounts from each one. :)

Jack

PMAT

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2013, 04:27 am »
I'm thinkin a cork might be more appropriate.  :o

decal

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2013, 11:37 am »
Again, Albert takes the high-road with his gentlemanly reply. Bravo, sir.

JGlacken

« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:04 pm »
It is true that Albert has tried to take the high road.  And that  is a good thing.  And as I said, he builds great speakers.  However, a few more facts are in order here.  Mr Gary Lea wrote two wonderful reviews of VS speakers, the U3s and the VR4sr I believe.  When I contacted him, Gary recommended that I go the VR4 route as the U3 would not be enough for my room.  Albert disagreed with Gary's comment and suggested the U3s would have no trouble with my room.  Fact number two would be that I was advised to take some or all of the fill out through the bass port to add more to the bottom end.  In fact some of you here suggested using a hanger to do this task.  When I attempted to do this, I discovered that there was no fill in the bass module.  It was also suggested to move the speakers closer to the wall behind them.  All these things were done or attempted to no avail.  Another suggestion from this forum was to add solid state amplification to the bass - in other words bi amping with tubes on top and ss on bottom.  This I did not try, as I didn't feel I should have to go buy another set of amps to change the sounds of my system.  It has also been pointed out in several places that the U3s were designed for smaller spaces and city apartments.  I would agree and would support the fact that these speakers would do very well in smaller spaces.
I hope this sheds some more light on the issue.

Jeff

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2013, 10:11 pm »
what about the 90 day return policy?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm »
This is a classic example of why one shouldn't rely on other peoples opinions.  ALWAYS trust one's own ears FIRST!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2013, 01:24 pm »
If you happen to have the opportunity to hear the speaker that you're interested in, yes.  There was no way for me to audition that first pair of VR4 MkIIs before buying them but SN is correct if you can use your own ears then by all means, do so.