Nakamichi CA-5 Preamp: Just acquired and new member thanks!

Sparky15

I just purchased a Nak CA-5 preamp as I was looking for a "best bang for the buck" phono pre, new or vintage below $350 or so. The posts I read here by Delta Wave, Timind, and a few others was helpful in my deciding on the CA-5.  Here and many other audio based sites had many positive comments on this wonderful vintage preamp. Comments from Delta Wave were spot on.  The phono section in this guy kicks some serious butt!

I had a Cambridge Audio 640P for 3 years, and a Creek OBH-8SE before that. Most recently I was using the phono section in my PIoneer Elite A-71 Integrated ( a very over-looked and hard to find unit of superb sound and build quality ). IMHO, the Pioneer Elites phono was better than the Cambridge on most recordings and with my Denon DL-103, Signet MK120HE, and recently purchased Denon DL-110 cartridges.   But the Nak CA-5 is a whole different league.  Incredible soundstage, micro dynamics, superb bass, and smooth highs.  It is dead quiet and as smooth as glass.  I could not be any happier with the $300 I laid out to buy it.  I did purchase from a reliable re-seller with a brick & motor location that tests it's used equipment.

The inside of this piece shows it's well designed Nelson Pass circuit design and Nakamichi at it's very best. I included a pic of the internals.

Thanks again to all here for your comments.

rcag_ils

Re: Nakamichi CA-5 Preamp: Just acquired and new member thanks!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2014, 04:25 pm »
I don't know too much about the Nak, I just heard that they were supposed to be the high end of the Japanese made audio eq. I have a PA-7II that I bought at the Rhine Mien Air Base back in 1991, they shipped it back for me in a C-5, I hardly ever use it and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I want to sell it, but that thing is so dang heavy, the shipping scare most people away. Damn near broke my back moving it around.

Nice looking inside of the CA-5 though.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2014, 05:50 pm »
Congrats on a nice find. I took the cover off of mine to take pics before I sold it and the beauty of the design and layout made want to keep it. Unfortunately I lost my pics with a hard drive crash.
You know you'll be able to enjoy that preamp for a long time.

Sparky15

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:34 pm »
Thanks timind. Your posts helped lead me to this audio bargain.  I know well designed internals with quality parts does not always equal great sound, but in this case the guts speak of the end result!  :wink:

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 08:00 pm »
Go ahead, post a pic of the outside, too!

Paul

Sparky15

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm »
orthobiz:

Here are a few exterior photos.  Nothing to write home about - real plain jane, but functional. The beauty of this preamp lies inside. The controls do have a nice solid feel and action.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2014, 03:10 pm »
The simplicity of the design layout is one of the reasons I bought one of these way back when. And I was wowwed when I took the top off. Yours is a particularly clean looking unit.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2014, 10:24 pm »
I don't know too much about the Nak, I just heard that they were supposed to be the high end of the Japanese made audio eq. I have a PA-7II that I bought at the Rhine Mien Air Base back in 1991, they shipped it back for me in a C-5, I hardly ever use it and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I want to sell it, but that thing is so dang heavy, the shipping scare most people away. Damn near broke my back moving it around.

I assume you've already tried craigslist and local pick-up only ebay, AC, Audiogon.   :scratch:

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm »
Yes, I tried. The shipping was very challenging. I don't know how many of those that sold and made it to the buyers undamaged.  I moved it around today, and holy $%^&, I will not do it again any time soon.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2014, 11:53 am »
Thx for posting pics.

Paul

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:29 pm »
Yes, I tried. The shipping was very challenging. I don't know how many of those that sold and made it to the buyers undamaged.  I moved it around today, and holy $%^&, I will not do it again any time soon.

Might help to update your profile to include your location.  You never know who is skimming through the thread (unfortunately I don't have the funds even if you are nearby). But they certainly are nice looking equipment.