another jazz module thread

Berndt

another jazz module thread
« on: 24 Mar 2011, 05:13 pm »
Hi Duke, and all my fellow jazz module lovers/owners.
Recently had a get together at my house and the feedback was very complimentary.
Great clean representation of cymbals and high frequency information without sounding grain or etched.
I've recently made some more modifications and wantted to report.
I replaced the 3.9uf sonicap in the waveguide XO network with a Deulund vsf 3.9. Noticed a cleaner smoother and more detailed presentation immediately. I also buttresed the waveguide on the backside with a 3" long piece of 8" pvc schedule 80 pipe. I radiused the ends of the tubing, centered the tubes on the backside of the waveguide then filled them with silicone. The idea came from a friends suggestion to dampen the waveguides more.
These are still really great performers and people get a real earful of macrodynamics along with their ability to convey subtlety.
Thanks again Duke for the great time I've had being a part of your audio family.

ncdrawl

Re: another jazz module thread
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:39 am »
Still loving mine. Had many speakers in here, listened to a lot of other systems. The Jazz Modules still reign supreme in my house.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2011, 01:25 am »
Thanks guys.

Ncdrawl, as I recally you've done some recording work using the Jazz Modules.  Well not too long ago I shipped my first pair of purpose-built studio speakers.  They're going in soffits, which normally would not be my first choice, but it does mean they'll be getting generous boundary reinforcement - which is beneficial in this particular application.

When I have some time I'll post more info, probably in a dedicated thread.  But basically it's parts you've seen before, just in a different wrapper. 

matt.w

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2011, 01:12 pm »
Ooo...this has the wheels turning in my head...

Given that you had walls oriented to provide the 45 degree toe-in (like say half of an octagon), how would these compare to a conventional pair of your speakers parked in conventional room corners? Would the in-wall application hurt soundstage?