Embedded jitter

PhilipAC

Embedded jitter
« on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:44 pm »
Hi all

I have a question about jitter. Somebody on another forum used the phrase "embedded jitter". My understanding is that jitter represents timing errors in a digital signal. In other words, when a digital file is being sent from a computer to a DAC, jitter would occur when the bits arrive at the DAC with inaccurate timing gaps between them. But I assumed that if a digital file is sent from, say, an external HD to a computer's RAM, then whilst there may be timing errors in the arrival of the bits, once the file is sitting in RAM there can be no "embedded jitter". In other words, I thought jitter was a function of the passage of a file from A to B, not something that existed within a file as it sits at either A orB!

Am I right or wrong please?

wisnon

Re: Embedded jitter
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2013, 10:54 pm »
Hi Phillip,

I am in the US for the next 2 weeks. Happy holidays.

2 or 3 top audio designers ascribe to this notion, and unless there is a powerful hypothesis to the contrary, I accept this concept.

PhilipAC

Re: Embedded jitter
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:30 pm »
Hi Norman, my friend!

Happy holidays to you too. Greg has collected my Lampi and before Xmas I'll have Duelunds!

I didn't want to name you without your agreement- and of course you may well be right. But nobody responded to my question on CA, and
so far no one has on AC. Is it really such a hard question? And if it is, it just shows how little we all understand!

Slange va

Philip