Planning on going disc less but need help!

billmcc

Planning on going disc less but need help!
« on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:34 pm »
I'm planning on going disc less in the near future and I need help. I would like to have all my SACDs (close to 400) on a hard drive(s) but lack the knowledge and skills to do it. I am planning on upgrading from my Oppo 103 to a 105 in order to play files from the HDs. I'm also considering a DSD capable DAC just for stereo DSD playback. Of course my other objective is to get possibly better SQ out of my system than by spinning SACDs.

My system consists of:

Denon 4311 for multichannel SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray audio playback.
Parasound 2100 for stereo SACD, DVD-A and CD playback
Oppo 103
Boston Acoustics A7200 amp
Salk SongTowers, Song Center and ADS 300C surrounds

I have so many questions for those that are using HDs for audio playback. Below are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

If you using a 105 for playback and you have multiple HDs does one have to connect one at a time or is there a way to connect multiple HDs to the 105?

If I went the stand alone DSD DAC for stereo playback what is the best way for playback of files on a HD? I'll be honest in that I'm totally new to computer based audio.

I PM'd both ted_b and Tyson awhile back and they were both very helpful. I dropped the ball and did not move forward as I was overwhelmed with the whole process. But now I'd like to get serious about going disc less and freeing up some space and cash by selling off a majority of my SACD collection. Doing that I could invest the money into better speakers (Salks of course :)), a quality DSD DAC and the 105.

I would appreciate and advice on how to setup a proper system for going disc less. An "idiots guide to computer audio" would definitely apply here as many of the terms I see used in these threads go right over my head :duh:. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Planning on going disc less but need help!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:02 pm »
I have another PM into you.

I can't answer Oppo 105 hard drives issues, but I can for DSD-capable DACs. 

A DSD-capable DAC will connect to either a Windows pc or MAC via USB, then your computer will have storage hanging off of it in one of three ways typically:
*  an internal hard drive
* an external USB, eSATA or firewire hard drive
* a NAS sitting on your home network via ethernet

Since DSD files (and larger 24 bit sample rates like 24/192) produce large files, you are unlikely to want to put a 1TB or larger disc in your computer (plus the internal computer environment is noisy).  Go with external storage or NAS.  Then buy a software license for something like JRIver (PC and MAC), Pure Music or Audiroivana Plus (both mac only).  Me, I'm a JRiver and PC guy, and have on this Circle a series of videos to get the new user started in JRiver.

DSD and hirez PCM files are obtainable via download sites, or via ripping your SACDs (DSD) and DVD-Audio hirez PCM) and some DVD-Video discs.  For SACDs you'll need a hacked PS3 or find someone to do it for you (hence my PM). 

My own personal; opinion is this:
* keep your Oppo 103 for movies and surround sound music, and buy a dedicated DSD-capable DAC.  It will be better than the DAC in the Oppo 105, and can be had from $500+.  But that is purely my $.02

holzohr

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2013, 07:32 pm »
Hi Bill,
about the Oppo, do you know this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/4560
When I remember right from the AVS forum, multiple HDs work with a powered USB hub but I am not sure. Well, there are already 4TB USB HDs. That' s more than enough for 400 SACDs  :)

I have an Oppo 103 (downgraded from 105) and agree with Ted about keeping the Oppo 103 for multi-channel and buying a DSD-ready DAC for stereo. Or wait for the next "Oppo 105" generation with an USB DAC that will be DSD-ready, hopefully. But waiting one year, two years(?) is not really an option, I guess.

For DSD/PCM playback with an USB DAC, I use http://www.daphile.com/ It is a kind of "Playback OS" for free, based on Gentoo Linux and the Logitech Media Server. To me, it seems to be the easiest way to realize a DSD/PCM playback system together with an USB DAC. The installation takes 5-10min, rather less. It offers DSD128 playback and converts DSD to DoP on-the-fly. All you need is some hardware, for example a small (maybe fanless) nettop or a (not too old) laptop that you don' t need anymore.

Well, as they say: all roads lead to Rome  :)

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:32 pm »
I have another PM into you.

I can't answer Oppo 105 hard drives issues, but I can for DSD-capable DACs. 

A DSD-capable DAC will connect to either a Windows pc or MAC via USB, then your computer will have storage hanging off of it in one of three ways typically:
*  an internal hard drive
* an external USB, eSATA or firewire hard drive
* a NAS sitting on your home network via ethernet

Since DSD files (and larger 24 bit sample rates like 24/192) produce large files, you are unlikely to want to put a 1TB or larger disc in your computer (plus the internal computer environment is noisy).  Go with external storage or NAS.  Then buy a software license for something like JRIver (PC and MAC), Pure Music or Audiroivana Plus (both mac only).  Me, I'm a JRiver and PC guy, and have on this Circle a series of videos to get the new user started in JRiver.

DSD and hirez PCM files are obtainable via download sites, or via ripping your SACDs (DSD) and DVD-Audio hirez PCM) and some DVD-Video discs.  For SACDs you'll need a hacked PS3 or find someone to do it for you (hence my PM). 

My own personal; opinion is this:
* keep your Oppo 103 for movies and surround sound music, and buy a dedicated DSD-capable DAC.  It will be better than the DAC in the Oppo 105, and can be had from $500+.  But that is purely my $.02

Ted,

Thank you for your thoughts and advice :). Two replies and both suggesting to stay with the 103 and get a DSD DAC. Sounds good to me. Any suggestions in the $500-$750 range for a DSD DAC? I would say your $.02 is worth quite a bit more than that!

Bill

billmcc

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:40 pm »
Hi Bill,
about the Oppo, do you know this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/4560
When I remember right from the AVS forum, multiple HDs work with a powered USB hub but I am not sure. Well, there are already 4TB USB HDs. That' s more than enough for 400 SACDs  :)

I have an Oppo 103 (downgraded from 105) and agree with Ted about keeping the Oppo 103 for multi-channel and buying a DSD-ready DAC for stereo. Or wait for the next "Oppo 105" generation with an USB DAC that will be DSD-ready, hopefully. But waiting one year, two years(?) is not really an option, I guess.

For DSD/PCM playback with an USB DAC, I use http://www.daphile.com/ It is a kind of "Playback OS" for free, based on Gentoo Linux and the Logitech Media Server. To me, it seems to be the easiest way to realize a DSD/PCM playback system together with an USB DAC. The installation takes 5-10min, rather less. It offers DSD128 playback and converts DSD to DoP on-the-fly. All you need is some hardware, for example a small (maybe fanless) nettop or a (not too old) laptop that you don' t need anymore.

Well, as they say: all roads lead to Rome  :)

Hi holzohr,

Thank you as well for your thoughts and advice :). I took a quick look at daphile and it looks very interesting. I liked that it mentioned making the process "easy" as I'll need that with my limited computer knowledge. What are you using for a DSD DAC? This probably a stupid question but how does one switch between using the 103 for multichannel files and using the DSD DAC for stereo files? Do you have to move cables around?

Bill

holzohr

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm »
I am using the Matrix X-Sabre. Here you find a nice review and the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/650686/matrix-x-sabre-dac-review-and-impression-thread
Btw, it uses the same Sabre DAC as the Oppo 105. If you just want to play your DSD files, maybe the Schiit Loki is something for you http://schiit.com/products/loki It was already mentioned by some forum members here.

I only have a stereo system since I said "adieu" to my AVR and rear + center speakers two years ago. Multi-channel music... maybe I will have this in the future again  :) But at the moment, I don't miss it.

To control the music playback with this Daphile, you can use the Squeezebox apps for Android or iOS. I use iPeng, it wakes up my "Daphile Box" by Wake-On-LAN (WOL).

Mario

JerryLove

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:02 am »
Since DSD files (and larger 24 bit sample rates like 24/192) produce large files, you are unlikely to want to put a 1TB or larger disc in your computer (plus the internal computer environment is noisy).
You lost me at "noisy internal environment". While I agree that there can be signifigant EM problems in there, and I've heard interference on internal DAC/amps from it; once the DAC has converted to 1s and 0s, it's a non issue. A computer that couldn't accurately move binary data would not function as a computer.

That said: Why I'd ever move a SACD into the analog domain before moving it back is beyond me (I guess it might be necessary if there's nothing that will output the binary DSD and the physical format is unreadable by a computer optical drive).

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:17 am »
You lost me at "noisy internal environment". While I agree that there can be signifigant EM problems in there, and I've heard interference on internal DAC/amps from it; once the DAC has converted to 1s and 0s, it's a non issue. A computer that couldn't accurately move binary data would not function as a computer.

PCs are noisy! DC-dc converters, EMI/RF, spinning disc noise, poor SMPS power supplies sitting on top of cpus, are all noisy!  You choose to debate this?  And "bits are bits" is an old debate; not a "non issue". Please don;t reduce everything we've commented on to "bits are bits" so nothing else (Cables, noise filtering, jitter, timing, bandwidth) matters.

What does this mean?:
Why I'd ever move a SACD into the analog domain before moving it back is beyond me (I guess it might be necessary if there's nothing that will output the binary DSD and the physical format is unreadable by a computer optical drive).
Ripping SACDs is a digital process, nothing is "moved in the analog domain, then moved back."  How else would you play them to a DSD-capable DAC (outside of a SACD/universal player)??

JerryLove

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2014, 08:39 pm »
PCs are noisy! DC-dc converters, EMI/RF, spinning disc noise, poor SMPS power supplies sitting on top of cpus, are all noisy!  You choose to debate this?  And "bits are bits" is an old debate; not a "non issue". Please don;t reduce everything we've commented on to "bits are bits" so nothing else (Cables, noise filtering, jitter, timing, bandwidth) matters.
While I agree that there can be signifigant EM problems in there, and I've heard interference on internal DAC/amps from it; once the DAC has converted to 1s and 0s, it's a non issue.

In the digital realm you move from "no loss" to "correctable loss" to "unrecoverable loss". The results are "perfect", "perfect but with lower max transmission rates" and "you can easily see the differences with a CRC check".

Nothing you've listed matters in the digital domain until it actually stops accurate transmission of 1's and 0's. At that moment, your computer stops working because the operating system is 1's and 0's.

What does this mean?:Ripping SACDs is a digital process, nothing is "moved in the analog domain, then moved back."  How else would you play them to a DSD-capable DAC (outside of a SACD/universal player)??
Same way I convert a CD WAV file to a FLAC? Shine a laser at the pits and lands, read the 1's and 0's and then do software processing to change the format of the file.

I guess it might be necessary if there's nothing that will output the binary DSD and the physical format is unreadable by a computer optical drive

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2014, 09:41 pm »
Jerry, I am going to bow out of your "bits is bits" argument.  You are allowed to have that stance, but I vehemently disagree.  Let's not hijack this learning thread.

Again, no idea what you are trying to say in the last paragraph.  DSD files formats are here; they are aren't at all akin to the "Wav to flac" comments.  DSD is a protected format on SACDs and requires some very custom firmware and hacked PS3 models to even start the process...believe me I know.