DSD playback of all records

scorpion

DSD playback of all records
« on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:27 pm »
I wander how you rate DSD playback of all digital formats.
I have been hooked by the DSD possibilities and use this format for a lot of my playback now testing between formats.

To me, I get a less agressive sound this way, more analogue like. More earpleasing perhaps.
What do you think ?

/Erling

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DSD playback of all records
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
If your question is:  those of you upsampling everything to DSD (or DSD128) does it work for you...then the answer is likely VERY dependent on their DAC of choice.  Many DSD-capable DACs do DSD fine but excel at PCM (and we find that a subset of this category don't really ever process DSD, they internally convert to PCM before the chip...cuz that is what they do).  Some DSD-capable DACs are built for DSD and are, frankly, only ok for PCM.  Without getting long winded, it's in the architecture of the chip and digital design.

What is your DAC, Erling?

scorpion

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2013, 03:15 pm »
I don't have any fancy equipment. For DSD I use the Korg DS-DAC-10 bought from Japan quite early this year.
It is to me quite good also with PCM. I have used the Behringer SRC 2496 for many years which I think also
does a credible job up to its 24/96 limit. Playback with Audiogate, Foobar and JRiver in Windows. Evidently there is an Audiogate 3
coming which should be more versatile for playback.

/Erling

doctorcilantro

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2013, 12:24 pm »
I have been using PCM2DSD lately and it sounds quite good, but I have to wait for my passive LDR to do some real critical listening between PCM and DSD, and PCM2DSD.

I also picked up a PS Audio Nuwave Phono which can record .DFF (using VinylStudio) and plan to experiment with some DSD128 needledrops.

scorpion

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2013, 09:18 pm »
I suppose you mean the JRiver PCM2DSD feature. I have a too slow laptop to manage this. But here is a link that says it's praise: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677834/jriver-media-center-19-is-better/15#post_9778369 . I do have similar experience with Korg Audiogate HQ conversion to DSD64. I do like the results of such conversion.

/Erling