PS3 Freezes While Ripping

Bobschneider

PS3 Freezes While Ripping
« on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:24 am »
I've just started ripping my SACD collection, using Ted's excellent instructions and an early PS3 with early FW I bought on the auction site.  While with most discs I've tried the process has gone smoothly, I encountered an odd problem with 2 SACDs.  When I rip those, everything goes as normal up to the screen which identifies the disc in the drive and asks if I want to rip it.  When I say yes by pressing the X key, the screen locks up rather than going to the screen showing how much has been ripped, and all the controls go dead.  The only way out of this is to power down the PS3.  This is consistent with certain SACDs - one I tried 6 times with the same result.  But I eventually found that, if I let the PS3 run for a while like this before powering down, it still creates an ISO of the disk, despite the display and controls being frozen.  This has all been ripping to a USB thumb drive - I haven't tried ripping over the network.

Is this normal behavior, a flaw in the v 0.37 ripping program, something wrong with my PS3, or something I'm doing wrong?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: PS3 Freezes While Ripping
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:11 am »
It is a well known bug and not been fixed as of this point.  I have advised that you use a thumb drive with a light on it (most do) and simply watch the light until it stops activity (blinking).  This is usually around 20 min or so.

holzohr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:53 pm »
It was the same here. Uninstalling and reinstalling of the sacd_ripper.pkg did help. So far at least  :)

Auxetophone

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2013, 11:26 am »
I've just started ripping my SACD collection, using Ted's excellent instructions and an early PS3 with early FW I bought on the auction site . . .

I'm just getting started, but I can't seem to find Teds' excellent instructions. Could someone please provide a link?
Thanks!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2013, 05:55 pm »
PM sent.  Welcome to Audio Circle.