Kickstarter project for DSD128 recording from Grammy winner

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I am posting this from Jesse Lewis, Grammy-winning recording engineer/producer.  It was originally written for sa-cd.net but I  told him I'd do it here too... Folks, you guys mention how much you like native HiRez recordings,  Here's a chance to vote with your wallet.  And the included free downloads contain EIGHT samples..........

Dear all,

I have followed (SACD-related) forums for years, but as yet haven't posted to these delightful forums. I have personally worked as producer or engineer on many of your albums.

Here now, in all humility, I have decided not only to post to the forum, but to ANNOUNCE A NEW DSD128 RECORDING and kickstarter campaign. In true 21st century form, we are raising money for the post-production and SA-CD release through http://www.afarcry.org/kickstarter. If we raise $25,000, the album will be released on CD and in DSD 2.0 and binaural download. If we sufficiently exceed our goal, we will release a Hybrid-SACD with 5.0 surround as well!

Please enjoy a sample of Beethoven's beautiful Heiliger Dankgesang, op. 132 performed in one raw session take by A Far Cry (in DSD128-5.6Mhz, DSD64-2.8MHz, 192kHz-24bit and 96kHz-24bit):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lhnzs9qcdcynujl/6uguMdF_rr

To pre-order and participate in the Kickstarter: http://www.afarcry.org/kickstarter

RECORDING SPECIFICATIONS:
Native resolution: DSD128-5.6MHz
5.0 Surround, Stereo and Binaural

Engineering: Soundmirror, Inc. (Jesse Brayman)
Producer: Jesse Lewis

Dreams and Prayers
A Far Cry with David Krakauer
Recorded at Sacred Heart Church in Fall River, MA October 21-23, 2013
Hildegard von Bingen: The Origin of Fire
Mehmet Ali Sanlıkol: Vecd
Osvaldo Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind
Ludwig van Beethoven: Heiliger Dankgesang, op. 132
Dreams and Prayers explores music as a passageway between man and the divine, as experienced through religious mysticism. The album, which was born last year as a vividly moving and spectacularly-reviewed live concert, is comprised of music spanning nearly 1000 years from deeply rich and varied spiritual traditions.

A Far Cry has teamed up with the amazing David Krakauer to perform and record the world premiere of Osvaldo Golijov's The Dreams and Prayers of Issac the Blind in its new version for clarinet and string orchestra. We have re-imagined a work of Hildegard von Bingen, written for monophonic voice, here played by violins in unison. Beethoven's Song of Thanksgiving from his string quartet op. 132 is his cry of gratitude to the heavens after being healed from illness, and a new commission from Turkish composer Mehmet Sanlıkoldrawn from the Sufi tradition completes the program.

Thank you SA-CD.net (and related forums) for the incredible enthusiasm you have inspired around DSD and Super-Audio CD! Let's keep it up!

Jesse

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 04:27 am by ted_b »

mgalusha

Re: Kickstarter project for DSD128 recording from Grammy winner
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:09 pm »
Thanks for posting this Ted. Backed. :)

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:15 pm »
Thanks for posting this Ted. Backed. :)

Thanks Mike.  Me too.  Also didn't realize Jesse is a Cleveland Institute of Music graduate.  Yeah!

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm »
Nice!  I'm in.   Ted, Thx for posting this!  :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:05 pm »
Am I correct that it's $50 to get DSD?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm »
Am I correct that it's $50 to get DSD?

Jesse sent me an email..
"Made a mistake with the initial prize price. Prizes are now $30 for an advance DSD album download in either Binaural or Stereo, or $45 for both."

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm »
Jesse sent me an email..
"Made a mistake with the initial prize price. Prizes are now $30 for an advance DSD album download in either Binaural or Stereo, or $45 for both."
Ah OK.  I'm in now!

wstam

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2013, 03:57 pm »
Hi, I am interested in backing this. I was wondering what is Binaural and googled it. My question is what will be the real differences in playback effect between this and stereo? Is binaural better? In what way?

Thanks.