Any Affordable DAC/Renderer?

sts9fan

Any Affordable DAC/Renderer?
« on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:14 pm »
I am looking for an affordable DAC/Renderer for hirez that can connect directly to a USB HDD.
Any suggestions?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Any Affordable DAC/Renderer?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:44 pm »
Yes, I suggest you define "affordable"  :)  and also remind us of the rest of your system (and maybe listening preferences).  The DACs under $3k are all very good and mainly either a feature set difference or some slight tonality differences that would make system synergy the biggest variable.  Do you care about formats like DSD or ability to go above 24/192 in PCM?  When you say "renderer" do you mean ability to stream UPnP?? Is that a show stopper?   Definitions and standards....as the old software joke goes.....ah, and so many to choose from!

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:03 pm »
Ah yes. This time I mean "real world" affordable, so under $700 or so.
This is not for me. A friend is looking for a solution that removes the computer. DSD would be sweet. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:20 pm »
At that price point you are limited to the latest home theater processors/receivers or network video streamers with USB storage capabilities and SPDIF output.  Most should play up to 24/96 PCM.  A few may do 24/192.  DSD will probably need to be converted to PCM files with Korg Audiogate.

Computer and USB DAC is still the minimum necessary configuration to play hi-rez.  The Sony ES unit looks like a nice all-in-one solution but that's $2k.

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:29 pm »
Sony HAP-S1/B
$999
Features: Playback of DSD and DSD128, up to 24/192 PCM, 40W x 2 Class AB amplifier, 500GB hard drive for local music playback and storage, Analog FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters, HDMI out (2 channel).  No computer needed.

holzohr

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:39 pm »
What about an Oppo BDP-103? It has a DAC, is a renderer with some limitations (still no native gapless playback) but can play hirez files and DSD from an USB drive (and with help of a CUE sheet even gapless). Besides it plays BDs, SACDs and DVD-A. And of course CDs  8)

The Sony HAP-S1/B looks nice! Though... I can not detect any HDMI output?
http://store.sony.com/500gb-hi-res-music-player-system-zid27-HAPS1//cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?vva_ColorCode=000000