Universal Music Group Blu-Ray Pure Audio discs?

OgOgilby

Universal Music Group Blu-Ray Pure Audio discs?
« on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:08 pm »
Has anyone heard about these Blu-Ray Pure Audio discs? http://www.musicdirect.com/m-1501-UNIVERSAL-MUSIC-GROUP.aspx Sounds interesting, although I would be more interested in the FLAC download - if it was also 24-96. Or is it possible to rip files from a Blu-Ray audio disc like this?

The ad:

Blu-Ray Pure Audio Discs: No Compression, No Compromise

True High-Resolution 24bit/96k Audiophile Sound

Playable in Three Audio Formats: PCM, Dolby Pure HD, or DTS
Universal Music Group has gone back to the original master tapes to deliver fully uncompressed, high-resolution versions of many of your favorite albums. Mastered at 24bit/96k, the label’s Blu-Ray Pure Audio Discs deliver the sound the artists heard in the studio when these classic albums were recorded.

Features:
• Audio is taken from the original master tapes and delivered in 24bit/96 khz with 3 choices of sound format: PSM, Dolby True HD or DTS - enjoy music as it was meant to be heard in the studio
• Package includes a digital download of the album in FLAC Lossless and MP3 format via an accompanying voucher

Operating Instructions:
• Simply load the disc into any Blu-Ray device and it starts to play, just like a CD
• No video needed: Blu-Ray remote allows track selection and preferred audio format
• Alternately, use your onscreen display to select tracks and preferred audio format

WC

Re: Universal Music Group Blu-Ray Pure Audio discs?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:48 pm »
A lot will depend on what albums they make available including new release titles. Looks like they have made some older bestselling albums available, but at $29.99 I will probably pass on purchasing them. The price gap between a CD priced at $10 and a Blu-ray at $30 is a non starter for most people.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:56 pm »
I welcome it.  A lot more in Multichannel is definitely welcomed.  Now to find each albums provenance and is it really Hi-Rez.

Yes you can rip the PCM layer off of a Blu-Ray

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:00 pm »
A lot will depend on what albums they make available including new release titles. Looks like they have made some older bestselling albums available, but at $29.99 I will probably pass on purchasing them. The price gap between a CD priced at $10 and a Blu-ray at $30 is a non starter for most people.

Agree.  I can find most NEW SACD titles in classical music for about the same price as CD.  That is worth it to me, but 30 to 40 year old recordings re-mastered for top dollar is not.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:07 pm »
Don't forget fellas that if we are comparing from the same original master tape source, that DSD and DXD should be inherently a superior format than this 'Pure Audio' Blue Ray (which has NO video btw). However,  Blue Ray has multi-channel capability so keep that in mind, if that is important to you.

I do welcome the fact that we have more choices, just be careful about how you spend your money, if you want the highest fidelity  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:16 pm »
Don't forget fellas that if we are comparing from the same original master tape source, that DSD and DXD should be inherently a superior format than this 'Pure Audio' Blue Ray (which has NO video btw). However,  Blue Ray has multi-channel capability so keep that in mind, if that is important to you.

I do welcome the fact that we have more choices, just be careful about how you spend your money, if you want the highest fidelity  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Well stated.  For me, I have found the highest fidelity so far is from a pair of Stax SR 507 Headphones, driven by a Stax SRM 007tA.  I don't think I've heard a audio system that can compete with that setup.  The hi-res input is "icing on the cake"   :lol:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:02 pm »
If this provides a delivery vehicle for a fresh round of hi-rez multi-channel mixes, I'm all for it.

Many of the titles shown at music direct have already been issued as SACDs or DVD-As and are likely all out of print by now.  Releasing them in a blu-ray container is better than nothing.  And as golfugh mentioned, they can be ripped to FLAC for server playback. 

I want to see how these Universal BR titles parallel the Universal DSD titles that are supposed to become available through Acoustic Sounds' Superhirez download shop.

Russ

OgOgilby

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2013, 01:58 am »
I welcome it.  A lot more in Multichannel is definitely welcomed.  Now to find each albums provenance and is it really Hi-Rez.

Yes you can rip the PCM layer off of a Blu-Ray

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/

Thanks for the link!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:45 pm »
It'll be interesting to see what the word is on these - specifically the Supertramp and Queen releases. For the price, I'll wait until I see some end-user comments before I pull the trigger. I finally obtained a decent master of CotC on CD, but my copies of BiA (including MFSL) leave much to be desired. Can you say BRIGHT?

Will probably pick up Night at the Opera regardless (for the 5.1)  :green:

Brandon

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2013, 11:19 pm »
A little warning about these: they have a sticker on the wrap that says "Ultra High Definition Audio" and "Includes Free Download". Just so you know, these sentences aren't related! The free download is an MP3... for the latest in that 1990s compressed sound.

These discs are selling for only $20 at HMV in Canada, and they sound quite good, but I'm not sure about buying more. A proper hi-res download will cost about the same and sound better. Unless there's an easy way to rip the 24/96 off these discs - and I don't see how to do that without buying a blu-ray drive for my computer.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2013, 11:59 pm »
Well, I'm not surprised. I've been waiting for this since the Blu-ray vs. HDVD war was resolved...

The concession to Sony is that Blu-ray will be used for the delivery system, and resolution is capped at 24/96.

The concession to the Home Theater Mafia is the inclusion of DTS and Dolby Pure HD.

The "concession" to consumers is that they won't have to purchase an SACD, DVD-A, or some other format capable box.

Big surprise Ambisonics, Meridian, and Classic Records were right after all [/sarcasm].

The swindle does indeed continue.

That means there is no hope of any future, deluxe edition of Pink Floyd titles to have anything more than the lame resolution (24/96) previously used.

I am looking forward to comparing titles from this new format to SACD, DVD-A, etc. titles I own.

Johlke

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:18 am »
I'm loving it!  As someone has already  stated, it's going to ultimately depend on the titles available.  I've pre-ordered "Exile on Main Street" from Music Direct and if the sound is suitable (i.e., comparable to really good vinyl) then I'll buy as many as titles as I like.  Blu-Ray is a great, potentially commercially viable, media for hi-res music: no converter, no additional cables, just plug it in to your existing player and crank it up.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2013, 06:27 am »
Title availability is indeed a big part of it. That's one of the methods used by Sony when they tried to kill SACD. They started the Miles Davis & Bob Dylan catalogs, and never went beyond a couple of handfuls of titles. Of the other two obvious catalogs (Ellington and Springsteen) they did less than a handful of the former, and none of the latter).

Interesting that you mentioned Exile On Main Street. That is one of the titles I will be purchasing, as I have the SHM-SACD for comparison.

Not that I am expecting much. I mentioned Pink Floyd previously... I have Wish You Were Here on SACD (Analogue Productions) and on Blu-ray (Immersion Edition, which is only a 24/96 transfer). At first blush, they seemed pretty close, with the Blu-ray losing. After repeated listening and increased familiarity, the inferiority of the Blu-ray became annoyingly obvious. Close? Maybe. Definitely no cigar.

I'm loving it!  As someone has already  stated, it's going to ultimately depend on the titles available.  I've pre-ordered "Exile on Main Street" from Music Direct and if the sound is suitable (i.e., comparable to really good vinyl) then I'll buy as many as titles as I like.  Blu-Ray is a great, potentially commercially viable, media for hi-res music: no converter, no additional cables, just plug it in to your existing player and crank it up.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work.

strat95

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2013, 09:07 am »
Not that I am expecting much. I mentioned Pink Floyd previously... I have Wish You Were Here on SACD (Analogue Productions) and on Blu-ray (Immersion Edition, which is only a 24/96 transfer). At first blush, they seemed pretty close, with the Blu-ray losing. After repeated listening and increased familiarity, the inferiority of the Blu-ray became annoyingly obvious. Close? Maybe. Definitely no cigar.

Are you listening to both the SACD and Blu-Ray versions using your BDP-93 listed in your profile?

T

k6davis

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2013, 06:40 am »
I sure hope we see some of these titles on HDTracks, SuperHiRez or other download sites.

I'm in for the Amy Winehouse, but I don't want it in disc form and I'd much prefer DSD to PCM.

Is there any word on when these will actually ship?

Mike Nomad

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:55 pm »
Yes I am.

Are you listening to both the SACD and Blu-Ray versions using your BDP-93 listed in your profile?

T