Sony not only ups the nate, they go "all in" with new DSD products

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
As most of you know, Sony announced, in the past 48 hours, that they are no gonna sell some portion of their freaking vast DSD catalog (remember, they are co-inventors and rumor says most of their catalog is archived to DSD anyway) via Chad Kassem's Acoustic Sounds sister site, SuperHirez.

Then today they put out this website:
http://discover.store.sony.com/High-Resolution-Audio/

which not only has a decent explanation of hirez music, setup and playback, but announce THREE DSD-capable units.
* The HAPS1/B, a "DSD-in-a-box" solution that includes a 500GB hdd, DSD64 and DSD128 playback, an ipad app, and a 32 watt/channel amplifier.
* The HAP-Z1ES, a subset of the above, less amplifier, but likely better parts (part of the ES line) and a 1 TB hdd.
* The UDA-1B USB DAC/amplifier that includes computer audio USB playback of DSD64 and DSD128 (not sure if DoP or native DSD yet), and a 23 watt/channel amplifier.

All of the above do up 24/192 PCM too.

Sony has the most to gain, here, as they have a boatload invested in DSD .....and their SACD projects were anywhere from mildly successful to a total dud (depending on needs and perspective).   Personally I love SACD and especially its multichannel capability (cursory reading of the website above even hints that mutlichannel content can HDMI-out to a ready receiver/pre/pro.).

As a DSD fan I am overjoyed at these moves.  We'll see what happens.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Support from Sony and TEAC certainly shows that DSD is pushing past the lunatic fringe crowd (to which I proudly belong) into mainstream hi-fi.  DSD is carving out a significant role in the marketplace that is complementary to PCM, not in competition with it.

I think DSD's most important role is as a delivery medium for the back catalog of great analog recordings.  So I'm stoked Sony is doing it's part, though the market for reselling yet another version Kind Of Blue or Stardust is somewhat limited. 

New DSD releases will probably remain in the realm of botique classical, jazz and folk labels that are committed to DSD as a production medium as well as a delivery medium.  This is a good thing, but again it's a limited market.

Most new mainstream releases are probably best delivered in the native 24 bit PCM they were recorded and mastered in.  The new Sam Phillips release can be purchased as 24/96 WAV "source files" for the same price as 16/44 FLAC and MP3 files.  The NIN "audiophile" master is another example of this.

BTW, those Sony bookshelf speakers look interesting.  The dual tweeters indicate some trickle down technology from their more expensive and well-received offerings.

Russ

mav52

Some FYI on the early spec's on Sony's equipment list to support this DSD offereing

Technical specifications http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=8820&NewsAreaId=2

HAP-Z1ES HDD audio player

Internal hard drive capacity: 1TB (expandable with external HDD via USB)
    Playback codec support: DSDIFF(DSD), DSF, MP3, WAV (LPCM), WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, ATRAC (non DRM), AIFF (LPCM)
    Audio settings: DSD Re-Mastering Engine, DSEE
    Wi-Fi: IEEE802.11b/g/n
    Internet Service: vTuner
    Balanced Line out/Audio Line out
    Frequency response: 2Hz-80KHz
    Total Harmonic Distortion: < 0.0015%
    Dynamic Range: >105dB
    LCD display: 10.9cm (4.3 inch)
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 130 x 390mm

TA-A1ES Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Output power: 80W+80W (20-20kHz, 4ohm/8ohm)
    Frequency response: 20Hz-100KHz
    Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008% (@1KHz, 10W / 8ohm)
    Signal to Noise ratio: 96dB (EQ/Surround Off)
    Balanced Line in/Audio Line in, Speaker out/Headphone out
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 130 x 420 mm

HAP-S1 compact HDD audio player system

Internal hard drive capacity: 500GB (expandable with external HDD via USB)
    Playback codec support: DSDIFF(DSD), DSF, MP3, WAV (LPCM), WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, ATRAC (non DRM), AIFF (LPCM)
    Audio settings: DSEE
    Wi-Fi: IEEE802.11b/g/n
    Output power: 40W+40W (1kHz, 4ohm)
    Frequency response: 10Hz-100KHz
    Signal to Noise ratio: 100dB (EQ/surround Off)
    Optical digital in/Coaxial digital in/Audio Line in, Audio Line out/Speaker out/Headphone out
    LCD display: 10.9cm (4.3 inch)
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 265 x 88 x 304 mm

UDA-1 USB DAC amplifier

Audio settings: DSEE
    Output power: 23W+23W (1kHz, 4ohm)
    Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.9% (1kHz, 4ohm)
    Frequency response: 10Hz-100KHz
    Signal to Noise ratio: 100dB (EQ/surround Off)
    Optical digital in/Coaxial digital in/Audio Line in, Audio Line out/Speaker out/Headphone out
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 225 x 74 x 262 mm

Anything Sony makes me skeptical,

Napalm

Support from Sony and TEAC certainly shows that DSD is pushing past the lunatic fringe crowd (to which I proudly belong) into mainstream hi-fi. 

Anyone in the know of which, if any, DRM schemes did Sony embed into their player?

Also, can anyone comment on why the specs of the Teac ( http://tascam.com/product/da-3000/ ) seem to be better on LPCM than DSD?

geowak

I have always liked Sony products, the ES stuff is on par with top quality and performance. But I have not been happy with how Sony makes decisions on new and proprietary technology (ie Beta machine, SACD, PCM, ). They are very unpredictable as to how much they invest and often do not let the technology thrive by allowing other manufacturers to market their technology.

rw@cn

I have always liked Sony products, the ES stuff is on par with top quality and performance. But I have not been happy with how Sony makes decisions on new and proprietary technology (ie Beta machine, SACD, PCM, ). They are very unpredictable as to how much they invest and often do not let the technology thrive by allowing other manufacturers to market their technology.

My very first thought when I heard the news was about the ElCassette and failures you mentioned.  :nono: Will Sony let this succeed? Or will they find a way to kill a budding but promising segment of the audio market. Most of the players in the audiophile download market aren't big companies. A sneeze or hiccup from Sony could do irreparable damage.

ted_b

• Facilitator
I agree about many of Sony's "innovations" they introduced, and their parochial attitudes.  However, in this particular case, they are getting onboard a burgeoning bandwagon.  It's not like they are asking us to embrace this new "DSD' stuff.  We already are, to some extent, and Sony is simply trying to squeeze some more out of this DSD investment they made 25 years ago.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
What I like about the Sony stuff is that it brings DSD playback to a component-like form factor.  I have a couple of friends who would like to get into DSD file playback but have no interest in setting up a computer playback system.  The Sony ES box gets them into the game.

Russ

Brandon

Has anybody actually seen any of these yet?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I wonder if the PS4 will have the capability.

A fellow could hook a HDD to the PS4 and "bam", there you go...... Instant DSD and everything else the unit has to offer in one little black box.

ted_b

• Facilitator
Has anybody actually seen any of these yet?

Yes, saw the ES unit at RMAF today.  Will go back tmrw to listen.  The unit looks very nice, though.

clang

Ted, are you going to give us your impressions of the Sony unit?

ted_b

• Facilitator
I heard the system, and it sounded good...but no idea what the DAC/player sounded like in all that, sorry.  Not sure what I was expecting, but hoped that they would have had a couple sources so I could tell.

geowak

I have no doubt in my mind (without first hand listening) that the new DSD devices by Sony will sound world class. I feel Sony has been at the forefront and ..tip of the spear when it relates to digital sound. Usually they will charge a premium price , at the time. I have a Sony fixed lens CD player and it sounds better than one I paid three times more money for. It is also built like an Abrams tank. But I don't like the limited number of SACDs Sony has produced over the years.

ted_b

• Facilitator
There are 8000 SACDs but if you are a pop music lover they don't cover much there...mostly classical and jazz.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
8000 SACD's!  I'm such a slacker, I only have 3000!  Ha :D

Brad

8000 SACD's!  I'm such a slacker, I only have 3000!  Ha :D

That's a pretty healthy music budget you have there!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
A lot of them are japanese imports and shm discs, too!  Along with all the usual suspects from Mofi, analog productions, esoteric, etc...

Ric Schultz

There is also the Sony PHA-2 DAC/headphone amp that will be released early next year....does double DSD too!

The HAP-Z1ES looks like a good candidate for some serious mods.  My soldering iron is hot and ready!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
How much would it have added to the HAP-Z1ES $2k cost to add SPDIF input for rare occasion of playing one of those ancient silver disc CD thingys from a CDP?

Only the $1k HAP-S1/b has both SPDIF input and line level output (unbalanced only...HAP-Z1ES has balanced and unbalanced line outputs...the least costly of these three Hi-Rez players ($800) has SPDIF input but speaker outputs only, no line output).

This series has an intriguing mix of cost and features.  The S1/b rated only 100dB S/N, mediocre among HR components (some costly DSD DACs rated 130+dB). 

I'm a dunce with computer audio.  What is "HDD" Bob referred to?

Anxiously waiting for user comments vs. well known DAC benchmarks.  This new Sony HR series might put some hurt on the boutique DAC companies in their respective price ranges. 

Re. Sony's past product quality, their current $20k speaker sounded good at RMAF.  The 80s PSX-800 TT with servo controlled straight line tracking arm is possibly the most sophisticated TT ever designed, and outperformed every table/arm I know of except in acoustic isolation.  Servo's expired and no parts/service...too bad.