Hi-Rez XTC!

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Hi-Rez XTC!
« on: 5 Aug 2013, 05:32 pm »
Burning Shed just announced DVD-A and BluRay releases of XTC's Nonsuch album in October with hi-rez stereo and 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson.  I don't know how this guy finds the time to do all this remix work, but I'm glad he does.  He just finished a N & S American tour (I saw the L.A. show).

Nonsuch is a good place to start with the XTC catalog.  The rich arrangements point to lots of elements in the multi-track to work into the surround mix.  I hope Skylarking is next on the docket.  But before SW gets too deep into the XTC catalog, he needs to wrap up the King Crimson project and deliver Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair in hi-rez 5.1.  Get busy buddy!

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Hi-Rez XTC!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2013, 06:11 pm »
Russ,
Thanks for posting this.  I forgot to when I heard about it awhile ago (along with Steve doing Close To The Edge 5.1).  I'm glad we have a release date, now.  I can't imagine English Settlement in 5.1 hirez.  :)   I've been a fanatic for Andy and XTC since the late 70's.

sauerball

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2013, 09:42 pm »
Hooray for Peter Pumpkinhead!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2013, 12:27 am »
This is what I was referring to, which I perused back in June....and then totally forgot about.  Thanks Russ for reigniting this excitement for XTC in hirez!  :)

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/06/24/steven-wilson-prepping-surround-mixes-for-yes-and-xtc-more-king-crimson-on-the-way/

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2013, 12:58 am »
That's great news. XTC is one of my favorite bands.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:03 pm »
I got my copy of Nonsuch in the mail yesterday.  This disc may never hit my Oppo player.  The DVD went directly into the PC and DVD Audio Extractor was used to create stereo and multi-channel 24/96 FLAC files.

The album was originally recorded on a Mistubishi digital multi-track.  Even with the new hi-rez mixes by Steven Wilson, there's no way to completely scrub away the digital zing and grain from that awful sounding 16 bit machine.  The new stereo mixes mask it pretty well and come off sounding round, smooth and punchy.  Definitely a worthy upgrade over the pretty good sounding original CD.

The multi-channel mixes are what I'm most interested in.  Multi-channel gives the mixer the opportunity to spread out the instruments and set the songs in a bigger space.  The downside in this case is the grittiness of the digital source is more prominent here than in the stereo mixes.  Given my brief listen, I'd say the results are mixed.  I'm not a fan of drums in the rear while the rest of the band is up front, so Peter Pumpkinhead is a fail as far as the MC mix goes.  But some of the more pop & ballad-ish tunes like Humble Daisy and Rook sound very open and spacious and deliver that MC wow that I'm looking for.

That's it for now.  I'll dig into it more as I have time.

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:08 pm »
Thanks Russ.  I wish Elliot Scheiner had done the mc mix.  I'm beginning to not be a fan of Wilson's mixing ideas.  But..hirez (for what its worth) Andy, Colin and David MUST be bought..if for no other reason than to hear English Settlement in hirez.  :)

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:14 pm »
I have the original, 2LP record of this album (from England) and the original 44.1 CD. The vinyl offering is vastly superior to the CD, in terms of sonics such as cymbal crash. So I know the original recording certainly must be awesome. Glad you guys like your hirez versions. I certainly like my LP version.

I also like The Big Express, English Settlement and Oranges and Lemons.

Certainly a great band in my mind.

Wayner

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2013, 12:50 am »
Thanks for the reminder everyone. I just placed my order at the Burning Shed website for the DVD-Audio version. I'll probably see it in about 10 days. Can't wait!