Korg DAC-DS-10

hddoc

Korg DAC-DS-10
« on: 12 Dec 2012, 08:09 pm »
Importable from Japan for ~ $600 including shipping, the Korg would appear to present the least $$ alternative for playback of DSD files.

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Audio/DS-DAC-10/

Mac DSD compatibility is coming in February http://www.korg.co.jp/News/2012/113003/

Does not appear to use asynchronous usb?

Anyone tried it out or have any further information to share?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Korg DAC-DS-10
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2012, 09:02 pm »
My friend, Todd Garfinkle, producer/founder of MA Recordings, is helping me get one to try soon.  He sees it as a possible entry into DSD for many folks.

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm »
My friend, Todd Garfinkle, producer/founder of MA Recordings, is helping me get one to try soon.  He sees it as a possible entry into DSD for many folks.
Is it Async?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2012, 10:50 pm »
No idea yet.

AdvoCat

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for keeping us posted!  I am leery of buying a DAC right now.  There are so many hi-rez formats, but none seem to be coming to the forefront in terms of mass marketing. 

I'm easy to please, though.  All I want is a high-quality DAC that will handle all formats and all inputs, using only the most advanced technology and best components.  And inexpensive.

AC

hddoc

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:49 am »
Review of the Korg website appears to indicate that the DAC-DS-10 does indeed use asynchronous USB... :D

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:54 am »
Link to the review???

Maxvla

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2013, 09:28 am »
I think he meant he looked (reviewed) at the site and found that it is asynchronous.

hddoc

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2013, 07:59 pm »
As of April25, the Korg is finally Mac compatible. It does use asynchronous USB and can be had for < $600...

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2013, 08:02 pm »
Interesting.  Has anyone tried this DAC?  I spoke with the guys from schiit and they said they would have a DSD native DAC coming soon.   Nothing on the website so I don't know how long it will take.  Perhaps it will be available as an upgrade to an existing design.   

scorpion

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2013, 08:54 pm »
I bought from Japan - Rakuten Global Market - from a shop that took Paypal and sent abroad.
Price inclusive of freight was round $500 and with added Swedish Import VAT it became $600 but still a very OK price.

It works like charm with Korgs own Audiogate player for me both in XP and Windows 7. JRiver is also working but a bit more tricky in Win 7, but that's me.
Foobar is so far no success, but eventually I think it will work also for me.

Qualitywise I think it is very good value for the money. I have the Behringer DCX2496 in combination with SRC2496 to compare PCM-performance up to 24/96 and I think that the Ds-Dac-10 is if anything perhaps better than the Behringers. The people at dsdfile.com offer a strong recommendation for the Korg and they have  Meitner MA-1 to compare with regarding DSD playing.

/Erling

scorpion

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2013, 02:35 pm »
Now I have mastered all the players: Audiogate, JRiver and Foobar with the Korg DS-DAC-10 in Win7 and XP.
The trick is to connect the hardware first and install drivers from the directory where you have them.
In Win XP you will be prompted a couple of times for new hardware connected, then repeat the procedure and new drivers will be installed.

After that you can run the Setup program that will install the program for Korg USB Audio Device Panel and you are through.  :)

/Erling
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 06:40 pm by scorpion »

KGREK

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:29 am »
It works like charm with Korgs own Audiogate player for me both in XP and Windows 7.

Sure it does. With one small exception: annoying clicks when switching modes (2.8/5.6) under both Audiogate for Win7 and MacOS...

this_is_vv

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2013, 07:52 am »
How's this dac seems I can get one wanted to ask people revie in this