Rectifier Dampening?

modwright

Re: Rectifier Dampening?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:28 am »
I understand Ted.  I won't send them if you don't feel that they would fit your system.  I subscribe to the theory of vibration ABSORPTION rather than transmission, unless it is a matter of infinite mass, like the Redpoint TT's.  This is just the mechanical engineer in me I suppose.

I feel that any thing that rigidly couples a vibrating object to another, may reflect vibrations back, or if properly done, can transmit the vibrations to another source that will alleviate the mechanical energy.  Sometimes I believe that what people ascribe as 'added energy' in their system with the use of certain cones, is simply vibration induced distortion, etc.

There is no one right approach obvioulsly.  I do know however, that the Black Holes, on a rigid shelf, WILL very effectively absorb the vibration energy and give back significant sonic returns.  I find the effect VERY apparent under my phono stage, which is probably one of the most sensitive pieces in my system.

Thanks,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:47 am »
Dan,
Don't get me wrong: I'm sure they work great!  There is more than one way to skin this cat, but I'm committed to the energy dissipation theory from Sistrum (a kind of all or nothing approach), and anything I do on that rack that prohibits or tries to dampen seems to fly in the face of the "system".  On a rigid rack I'd love to try them; anything you've discovered has unanimously been effective in my system, as you know.   :)

HumanMedia

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:41 am »
Erm, pardon my ignorance but what are these "Black Holes"?

jazzcourier

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2009, 07:19 pm »
The Black Holes are carbon Fiber based and are 45.00 each from Elusive disc.These two little bits of information i gleaned from a brief web search and are not to be taken as gospel, but hopefully,a bump in the right direction.
Carbon Fiber is very strong and very expensive.you can buy a tiny gusset for 95.00.This, i imagine, would be used as a hinge in your super hero suit to attach the arms to the body,but would serve no apparent application to audio.Seeing that one would want 4 of these "holes",at 180.00 buckaroo's total  to lift your phono amp into new found bliss we might start talking about less expensive,though expansive alternatives.My MW Phono amp sits contently on a Bright Star sand filled "Big Rock" on a Bright Star "Rack of silence".I personally invite the incredible Hulk in his carbon fiber jockstrap, to come over and jump up and down in front of the thing.Please tell me what i am missing....? Did i not dig the bomb shelter deep enough to save the family? How much is enough ??   Seriously,i put wheels on this rack and we take Baghdad.We are talking strength here,we are talking isolation,we are talking no vibration.Must be build the fence around the fence to secure our peace of mind?
Please enlighten me for fear of a damp rectifier!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2009, 07:30 pm »
The Black Holes are carbon Fiber based and are 45.00 each from Elusive disc.These two little bits of information i gleaned from a brief web search and are not to be taken as gospel, but hopefully,a bump in the right direction.
Carbon Fiber is very strong and very expensive.you can buy a tiny gusset for 95.00.This, i imagine, would be used as a hinge in your super hero suit to attach the arms to the body,but would serve no apparent application to audio.Seeing that one would want 4 of these "holes",at 180.00 buckaroo's total  to lift your phono amp into new found bliss we might start talking about less expensive,though expansive alternatives.My MW Phono amp sits contently on a Bright Star sand filled "Big Rock" on a Bright Star "Rack of silence".I personally invite the incredible Hulk in his carbon fiber jockstrap, to come over and jump up and down in front of the thing.Please tell me what i am missing....? Did i not dig the bomb shelter deep enough to save the family? How much is enough ??   Seriously,i put wheels on this rack and we take Baghdad.We are talking strength here,we are talking isolation,we are talking no vibration.Must be build the fence around the fence to secure our peace of mind?
Please enlighten me for fear of a damp rectifier!

Jazzcourier,

You have the wrong product.

The Black Holes Dan has been talking about aren't made by Black Diamond Racing.

Here is some info and a pic from Dan:

Retail price for the product is $299/set of three.  I will be offering them for $250 - set, including shipping.  I would be interested in a comparison between these and the rollerballs also.  Conceptually, they are very different products.  They are also different than Herby's Audio Labs product, but look conceptually similar.  The black holes are vibration ABSORBERS, not vibration transmitters or couplers.  In my opinion, vibration should be dissipated in the form of heat.  As a Mechanical Engineer who closely studied vibration analysis in my last year of school, I can say that this is typically the best way to handle unwanted vibration.

George

jazzcourier

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2009, 01:24 am »
The product name is BlaKhole,as in BlaKhole's.  No relation to Black Hole's,although a similar product.