Rectifier Dampening?

AB

Rectifier Dampening?
« on: 3 Jun 2009, 08:54 pm »
Has anyone tried using Herbies or equivalent tube dampeners on their rectifiers?

Seems to me with as much difference in SQ different rectifiers provide, they might benefit from some dampening. I have also noticed that some of the best sounding rectifiers seem to have thick glass envelopes. I could be wrong about this but maybe the thick glass plays a role in minimizing vibration.

JG2

Re: Rectifier Dampening?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »
I use Herbies titanium on my GZ34's. They have a very tight grip & are a huge improvment over his earlier version.

Just my 2 cents.............

AB

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2009, 12:15 am »
I use Herbies titanium on my GZ34's. They have a very tight grip & are a huge improvment over his earlier version.

Just my 2 cents.............

Do they make a difference?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2009, 12:29 am »
No, he likes the looks.  :)

Yes, the make a nice difference; tighter bass control, less hash, less noise (i.e lower noise floor).  Get Herbie's Ultrasonic ones (the only ones he currently sells); they come in all sizes.  We have several threads here already discussing them.

AB

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:08 am »
No, he likes the looks.  :)

Yes, the make a nice difference; tighter bass control, less hash, less noise (i.e lower noise floor).  Get Herbie's Ultrasonic ones (the only ones he currently sells); they come in all sizes.  We have several threads here already discussing them.

Did a search for tube dampeners Herbies rectifiers gz34 5ar4. Found one post asking the same question but no solid answers.

Ted, do you use any on your rectifier tubes?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:32 am »
Yes, Herbie's Ultrasonics.

AB

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:27 am »
Yes, Herbie's Ultrasonics.

Cool. I'll give them a try.

I was looking at Herbies site for 6SN7 dampeners and noticed he sold them for rectifiers - including the EML 5U4G.

I just have never noticed a pic here of a Transporter with a tube dampener on the rectifier so I thought I would ask about them.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:32 am »
Yes, I posted earlier in the Modwright forum about this.  The Ultrasonic 70 is what i use for the EML.  I have a picture I posted, that's in my gallery.  Here:

JG2

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:33 am »
Hi Alan,

We're so busy and our gear changes so much around here it's hard to do A/B with and w/o Herbie's Ultrasonics on the rectifiers. I use them in my personal system & believe that they indeed do make a difference. I may take a cue from Philistine and use the subtractive method when I make a change and see what I hear AFTER the item is removed to see if it is a worthwhile change.

hmen

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:33 am »
I'd definitely try Herbies. They've worked for me me everywhere I've used them.

AB

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:48 am »
Yes, I posted earlier in the Modwright forum about this.  The Ultrasonic 70 is what i use for the EML.  I have a picture I posted, that's in my gallery. 

Aha. I hadn't seen that pic before...and I thought I had seen them all. :wink:

I have Herbies on all my little tubes now but had never thought about the rectifiers. I am trying to sort out a bit of midbass bloom that has crept into my system after the upgrades to my PS 9.0 power supply and PS 36.5. Dampening the rectifiers might help. It's worth a try. I have a few other ideas too.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:52 am »
AB,
Once I had the hyperdrive mod done (similar sonic change to the PS 9.0 and PS 36.5 upgrades) a midbass hump from my metal bases crept in.  I alleviated it by moving the dual mb's from my SP 36.5 to my TP (one of the two tubes, of course) and repalced them with TS 5U4GB's and then ultimately the EML's (borrowing one, own one).  What is your tube compliment?

AB

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:54 am »
Hi Alan,

We're so busy and our gear changes so much around here it's hard to do A/B with and w/o Herbie's Ultrasonics on the rectifiers. I use them in my personal system & believe that they indeed do make a difference. I may take a cue from Philistine and use the subtractive method when I make a change and see what I hear AFTER the item is removed to see if it is a worthwhile change.

John,
I'd be interested know what you find if you do the A/B. I'll be trying them in the mean time. The midbass bloom I'm hearing may be an artifact of the interminable break in on my rebuilt 36.5. I think I've got around 250 hours on it now - 2/3 of the way there.  :thumb:
Thanks

AB

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2009, 05:06 am »
AB,
Once I had the hyperdrive mod done (similar sonic change to the PS 9.0 and PS 36.5 upgrades) a midbass hump from my metal bases crept in.  I alleviated it by moving the dual mb's from my SP 36.5 to my TP (one of the two tubes, of course) and repalced them with TS 5U4GB's and then ultimately the EML's (borrowing one, own one).  What is your tube compliment?

Right now I have in the 36.5 two standard 4 notch Mullard 5AR4. In the Sony 9100 I have a fat base Mullard. I have metal bases and have used them in the past in the 36.5. I know the exaggerated midbass they can produce.This is less pronounced and mostly effects male vocals and close miked female vocals. It's more of a bloom or a halo-ish veil.
It wasn't there last week so I am thinking/hoping it's a break in artifact that will work its way away eventually.
But if it's not and it doesn't, I want to be sure I can eliminate it somehow.

One of the changes I was thinking of trying was the TS5U4GB tubes. These have proven to be the leanest in my set up too. But they might be too lean and I'd lose more than I'd gain there.

Plus...I do have the EMLs waiting.  aa

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:18 pm »
Ted, I need to send you a set of Black Holes to demo and share your feedback.  I sent a set to Zybar and another customer who doesn't post here.  I am not sure if Zybar has had a chance to work with them yet, but our other customer wanted another pair and asked for an invoice.

I believe that you will be quite pleased.  I have asked Peter for photos to post on our site and I will simply ask for feedback from those who I send the 'Black Holes' to.  There are no professional reviews to date, so I will also work on this.

BTW, the MWI site has been updated and I can now add and change content any time.  You will find fresher content and more updates, including customer PF, reviews, and more product pix.

Thanks guys!

Dan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:31 pm »
Ted, I need to send you a set of Black Holes to demo and share your feedback.  I sent a set to Zybar and another customer who doesn't post here.  I am not sure if Zybar has had a chance to work with them yet, but our other customer wanted another pair and asked for an invoice.

I believe that you will be quite pleased.  I have asked Peter for photos to post on our site and I will simply ask for feedback from those who I send the 'Black Holes' to.  There are no professional reviews to date, so I will also work on this.

BTW, the MWI site has been updated and I can now add and change content any time.  You will find fresher content and more updates, including customer PF, reviews, and more product pix.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Dan,

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to play with the Black Holes much before spending last week in India on business.  Next week I have to go to away again (only to Colorado Springs) so I it might be one more week before I can post any thoughts or comments.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:46 pm »
Dan,
My problem with any isolation/damping device is that I have the Sistrum rack system and ascribe to the Sistrum theory of letting the equipment vibrate naturally into and out of the Sistrum rack...i.e i don't place anything in the way of that energy transfer.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:49 pm »
Dan,
My problem with any isolation/damping device is that I have the Sistrum rack system and ascribe to the Sistrum theory of letting the equipment vibrate naturally into and out of the Sistrum rack...i.e i don't place anything in the way of that energy transfer.

Ted,

I will be trying the Black Holes in place of my Sistrum SP-101 that I normally have the Modwright TP on.

I know it is getting funky, but what about placing the Black Holes on top of the SP-101 and having the TP on top of the Black Holes instead of the Sistrum spikes that come with the SP-101?

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:52 pm »
Dan,

Ted,

I will be trying the Black Holes in place of my Sistrum SP-101 that I normally have the Modwright TP on.

I know it is getting funky, but what about placing the Black Holes on top of the SP-101 and having the TP on top of the Black Holes instead of the Sistrum spikes that come with the SP-101?

George

My TP is on a set of SIX SP-101's called an SP-6.  It would entail breaking down the whole stack.  Plus the whole idea behind Sistrum technology is to create a simple clean unobstructed path for the energy to leave the rack and go directly to ground.  I don't want the black holes "in the way". 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:54 pm »
I don't have that issue Ted.   aa

George