Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1720 on: 21 Jul 2014, 11:03 am »
Hi James,

Hope you are doing well. The tweeters seemed to have passed the break-in period. I was expecting more or better treble, and instead witnessed a significant personality change of the speakers. It's like another dimension was added. The added sense of air, reality, clarity, space, and definition is really incredible - both in stereo and surround sound.

You and your team have exceeded expectations again - thank you, well done!

Respectfully,
Marc

Thanks Marc,

The new tweeter is much better at producing energy on and off axis and the resonance point has been lowered substantially so I agree it manifests itself on a much more dimensional sonic presentation.  Enjoy!!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1721 on: 21 Jul 2014, 06:48 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peek:

Sound and Vision magazine in the USA did a review on a complete Bryston Speaker Surround System. Mini T's (L.R.),  AC-1 Mini Center,  Mini A's (Surrounds) and Mini T Sub.

COMMENT:

With final placement settled, what I encountered was exceptionally neutral, uncolored reproduction, with as complete an absence of discrete response anomalies as I’ve ever heard.

spinner

« Reply #1722 on: 21 Jul 2014, 11:10 pm »
 Has there been a new tweeter? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1723 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:21 am »
Hi Folks,

Over the last year we have been developing a new tweeter for the Model T and Model A Series speakers.

Model A Speakers currently in the market already incorporate this new design.

The new tweeter has 4 major changes:

1. A die-cast aluminum face plate for both better rigidity and for cooling. It functions as a heat sink for the tweeter.

2. A new horn design to provide smoother off-axis response above 12 kHz,

3. A larger rear chamber that lowers the resonance frequency further below the crossover region.

4. The new tweeter can also handle significantly more power than the older version.

The new tweeter is retro-fit-able to all existing Model T’s in the field and are being utilized in all current production.

Price of the new replacement tweeter is $90.00 Each.

james

spinner

« Reply #1724 on: 23 Jul 2014, 01:57 pm »
Sounds great (no pun sorry  lol) Is it still a Titanium diaphram? :thumb:  Are there pictures of it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1725 on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:27 pm »
Sounds great (no pun sorry  lol) Is it still a Titanium diaphram? :thumb:  Are there pictures of it?

Yes still Titanium.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1726 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:41 pm »
 Nice tweeter, many issues addressed here. It reminds me of my JBL o44Ti tweeters. Well built ,good materials and design  :thumb: :thumb:

[img]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=102681

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1727 on: 23 Jul 2014, 11:43 pm »
DEALER FEEDBACK:

Hi James,

We have the Bryston A1 speakers hooked up to the 28 monos and they are incredible. 

The dynamics and visceral impact is first class.  Right out of the box we knew they're special and they've improved noticeably over the week. 

We definitely have a winner on our hands : )

Best Regards,
Robert
Audio Eden

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1728 on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peek - Review on Bryston A3 Speaker from Secrets of Home Theater coming soon:

Teaser Text

The Model A3 is the smallest floor-standing speaker in the new A series from Bryston.

It is well suited for a two-channel system that requires a compact floor-standing speaker. It is capable on its own of full range music playback without a subwoofer. The Model A3’s sound is neutral and it can be driven to high SPLs without sounding strained. The Model A3 is detailed and accurate. Its sound quality will satisfy regardless of listening preferences.

Travis

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1729 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:44 am »
James, is there anywhere in Northern California where I could listen to the Model T Signatures? I'm very interested in these as the core of a Bryston 7.2 speaker system.

I realize that my local dealers may not stock these, but has Bryston given any thought to a user-to-user network for auditioning the speakers? While there may be downsides, this option might be at least a way to get a taste of what the speakers offer. Perhaps there could be a Bryston-certified user group for such demos and a set of standards to help achieve at least a consistent and helpful experience (the demo is everything, eh?). Frankly, knowledgeable users might provide a far better experience than my San Francisco Bay Area dealers, who for many brands have devolved into glorified order takers.

Another option might be an organized set of regional demos (perhaps coincident with audio shows which admit the public) for highly motivated prospective purchasers, perhaps a fee-based experience (and, if necessary to motivate buyers, with a portion of expenses refunded with the purchase of the speakers).

Bryston is certainly an industry leader, and creative marketing in this area might be beneficial to the company and the end users. While my strong confidence in Bryston led me to purchase my SP3, BDA2, BDP2, 6BSST, and 4BSSTs "sight unheard," speakers demand auditioning.

Thanks for your consideration, James. And thanks to the AudioCircle forum participants for your thoughts on this topic.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1730 on: 27 Jul 2014, 11:45 am »
Hi Rich,

Yes those are good ideas and I agree that there is difficulty these days getting new speakers on a dealers floor.  I have to say that much of the success of the Model T speakers is directly connected to the customer like yourself hearing the speaker at a friends or an audio show and passing on their opinions - and I have to mention the exposure of the audio magazines worldwide as their acceptance to review the speakers has been extremely helpful.  I will see if there are any options available for you to hear the speakers near your area.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1731 on: 27 Jul 2014, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for the speedy and helpful reply, James. I saw on another thread that you're on holiday. It's very Brystonistic of you to take your personal time to reply, but please go back to enjoying a well-deserved break.

Best,

Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1732 on: 27 Jul 2014, 03:03 pm »
Thanks for the speedy and helpful reply, James. I saw on another thread that you're on holiday. It's very Brystonistic of you to take your personal time to reply, but please go back to enjoying a well-deserved break.

Best,

Rich

I spoke with our Rep in California and he asked if you can send me your email address and he will see what he can do.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1733 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:35 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New Bryston Speaker Dealer

We would like to welcome ‘SIMCOE SOUND’ in Barrie Ontario as our latest Bryston Speaker Dealer.

411 Bayfield St, Barrie, Ontario L4M 6E5

Phone: (705) 737 - 1195
Email: info@simcoeav.ca

Web: www.simcoeav.ca

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1734 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:54 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston Speaker Presentation

Hi Folks,

Attached is a link to a presentation and overview on Bryston Speakers.

Hope you find it informative.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbouhuc96umylis/Loudspeaker%20Presentation-Draft%20A.pdf

NOTE:

It is a large 43 MB file.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1735 on: 2 Aug 2014, 04:54 pm »
SUBJECT: Comments on The Bryston Mini T

Hi James, what a treat it was to listen to your Mini T speaker system for the first time.

Although it is physically much smaller than most high performance speaker systems, it clearly plays in their league and outperforms many of them. As sound colouration from cabinet and other structural components was inaudible, one could easily focus on the music and the recording environment.

The large dynamic range was very impressive and could easily satisfy the needs of most home audiophile applications. Perhaps the key to winning my heart was the linearity of the dynamics. It seemed that the dynamic range of all drivers was so well matched that the frequency and impulse responses remained uniform regardless of level.

It brought the music to life! I could have listened to it for hours.

The bass response was most impressive. Ever since I played string bass in my high school orchestra (in the 50s), I have always been sensitive to accurate bass reproduction. The Mini T passed with flying colours as it produced solid, deep fundamentals with none of the boomy, poorly damped, uncontrolled dynamics associated with virtually all small speaker systems. What a difference a 3-Way makes! A midrange speaker must be dedicated to reproducing critically important voice and instrumental information without experiencing the Doppler and intermodulation distortion inherent in a 2-Way that is forced to make large cone excursions in response to the bass. The excellent imaging and sonic accuracy of the Mini T's attest to the importance of a 3-Way design.

The listening position was not critically important while the sonic depth of field and stage width of musical performances seemed very natural. The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very high too! ....but of course Maria has lived with some speaker monstrosities in our house for years. :)

You definitely have a winner on your hands, James. It is clearly the best sounding small speaker system I have ever heard!

Congratulations!
James H. Hayward

« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2014, 07:21 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1736 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:39 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston Mini T Speaker – Customer Feedback

August  2014

Hi James – From Singapore

Ivy your dealer in Singapore was kind enough to lend me a pair of Bryston Mini T's while my (EDIT) are being repaired...totally forgot I need speaker cables as they are passive. I will get some on Monday...anyway. Pat is very impressed regarding the looks...she fell in love immediately even without hearing them..so great "wife factor" !

I just got the cables and set them up...superb sir...same tonal balance and natural sound character as the big T's!  And the bass is exactly what I was missing before...played some high quality vinyl...and the detail and pace is beautiful....now we must choose the amp...and try to find a buyer for the (EDIT).
Ivy gave me the lovely 4B for loan.....it has indeed good power and its not too much power for the Mini Ts. 

James I feel the Bryston Mini T’s provide a very natural and  seamless soundstage also...I think a 2- way just can't match that, no matter how expensive... Plus It's nice and slim...which an active speaker can't match usually...I honestly had the (EDIT) speakers under consideration as well...but not anymore. I blasted a few live concert bluerays...and the soundstage is amazing..most of all, no compression even at "life" levels. and the bass has real punch..eg the basedrum kick.. .which is so crucial to us drummer boys! Also most of all, I am surprised at the resolution of the top end too...I don't miss anything even compared to my active speakers!

To summarize, I would say the Bryston Mini Ts sound like a "big speaker'...and have exactly the same attributes of the model T's - natural and seamless soundstage..and accuracy across all listening levels...it even sounds right while listening from outside the room..which is always my personal "test" !

Congrats to you James!

Tom Forester- Singapore

lycia

« Reply #1737 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:02 pm »
For some time I have been contemplating purchasing a pair of Model T Signature speakers. However, I am in Australia and the mark-ups are so huge that the retail price is AUD$17000 (about US$15500) which is more than twice the retail price in North America, and not for any good reason. Consequently, they are not competitive in terms of value. I will just have to continue to be envious. :evil:

Mag

« Reply #1738 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:54 pm »
For some time I have been contemplating purchasing a pair of Model T Signature speakers. However, I am in Australia and the mark-ups are so huge that the retail price is AUD$17000 (about US$15500) which is more than twice the retail price in North America, and not for any good reason. Consequently, they are not competitive in terms of value. I will just have to continue to be envious. :evil:

IMO, it terms of sound you would be getting speakers equivalent to speakers two or three times the price, but then I haven't heard a lot of speakers.

I am however still impressed with how the phantom image seems to project off the front wall. Hence I no longer need a center channel listening in 4.1 Neo:6. :smoke:

FireGuy

« Reply #1739 on: 13 Aug 2014, 12:11 am »

Have you considered Axiom Audio?  They are an internet direct company which has worldwide shipping.   Due to the their working relationship, Bryston's line up posses Axiom DNA.  Axiom's M80 is closest to the Model T and is even available in a High Power Version.  Not sure if this mark up you mention is because of a dealership setup , but if you can bypass it by purchasing direct it could be an option.