Genelec Speakers

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Genelec Speakers
« on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:12 pm »
The specs are very impressive and of course being CD with a Waveguide my interest is piqued.  Anybody here have any input on them?  I'm more interested in the larger models like the 8260.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Genelec Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:26 pm »
A pro studio eng informed me the bass transients was amazing on the Genelec active 1024 model.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:15 am »
Jason - I've taken an interest in active studio monitors and read quite a lot about pros and cons and preferences. Generally, the feeling about Genelec is not very positive. ATC and PMC seem to be considered the creme de la creme. Close behind come Focal and Neumann. All are 3 ways. Another that has elicited raves is the Event Opal, a 2 way.

targa02

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:25 am »
I owned the ATC 50ASLs.  Spectacular dynamics.  Very, very balanced.  I miss them in many ways.  I do, ultimately, prefer dipole speakers.

I've auditioned the Genelec 1037Cs (I think that was the model).  Not side-by-side with the ATCs BTW.  Dynamics were scary good.  I did not feel their mid-range was a musical as the ATCs.  The ATCs are more expensive.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:36 am »
Active design has multiple advantages that logically (and more importantly by ear) are hard to deny. 

In general studio monitors are working speakers (draft horses).  They are no nonsense tools, designed for near-field listening (on a studio bridge), image well, but have a dry/often fatiguing presentation (the better to reveal all the warts).  Genelec are some of the best at all the above attributes.  Of course Scandinavian speakers tend to be on the dry side (and expensive) to start with.

Contrast that with home speakers that are more like our pets, meant primarily to provide emotional satisfaction.  If audiophiles were completely honest, we'd admit wanting speakers that flavored to suit our tastes.  The real question is: can you handle the truth?

Active monitors that bridge the gap include:

Adam A3X ($650/pair, 2-way, ribbon tweeter, nicely sized for desk top use, F3=60Hz, single/front volume control, highly resolving/can fill a room)

Avi ADM9RS ($2700/pair, 2-way, compact, F3=60Hz, remote, DAC, non-fatiguing, plays well at high or low volumes)

Focal CMS 40 ($900/pair, 2-way, also compact, F3=60Hz, front volume control (each), fuller bass, more dynamic but less airy than the A3X)

Neuman KH120 ($1500/pair, 2-way, also compact, F3=54Hz, rear volume control (each), very clean/neutral/transparent, adding sub better than going 3-way)

Quad 9AS ($1500/pair, 2-way, compact, cherry finish, front controls and remote, includes DAC, questionable availability)

Serene Pebble ($500/pair, single driver, very compact, F3=70Hz, leather/bamboo cabinet, sweet/engaging/natural/uncolored/dynamic/non-fatiguing, design premise - low non-linear distortion)