Why does my turntable hum? Hopefully, we can get down to some real causes.......

JuanR

no, I double check.

Wayner

Now I suspect your phono preamp.

Wayner

JuanR

I changed the IC from mc to mm , and still with the hum ( in mm)

avahifi

Go to Radio Shack, get a set of shorting RCA plugs, and make the test I suggested earlier.

The easy way to isolate your hum issue.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

ARCom problem got solved today. I had a very faint residual hum, entering the picture at about 2 o'clock on the volume control. Of course, my ego got in the way and I thought that everyone else was the problem. Today I moved ARCom to a different spot in the studio, plugged it into the preamp and advanced the volume control, to find that it was dead silent. I thought it must have been one of the amps magnetic fields, kind of thinking that the AR-ES1 tonearm has a slight shielding problem (which it still may have). However, after I connected the motor module, the hum came back.  :duh: It's the motor! I replaced the switch make/break capacitor with a .022 mfd/600 volt cap that I got from an AR turntable. This knocked the noise down, but grounding the motor itself to the ground point to preamp completely (for all practical purposes) killed it.

Lessen learned, next motor assembly will have a 3-prong cord with a grounded motor. I think I'm my own worst enemy.

Now back to some serious vinyl.

Hope you all have a nice Friday nite.

Wayner