Bugle power supply - Jack Gallagher to the rescue!

markus46

Bugle power supply - Jack Gallagher to the rescue!
« on: 13 Jun 2008, 11:41 pm »
I thought I'd share my experience of trying to get the parts for the bugle power supply.
I ordered the assembled bugle from Jim and would have got the assembled ps as well had it been available.  So I ordered the half kit and then headed on over to digikey to order the necessary components.

All went swimmingly until checkout.  Shipping and handling to Australia was over US$80!!!
I hit the local electronics parts suppliers, but sourcing the transformer was proving problematic.
In desperation, I did a search on Audiogon and found that Jack Gallagher sells full kits (PCB & all components) for both the bugle and bugle power supply.  AND shipping to Oz was a much more reasonable US$13!

The order was filled and shipped promptly.  All parts are present and accounted for.
Jim's documentation (with addendums) was supplied in colour hard copy.  In addition, Jack supplies his own documentation that I know will come in handy when I dust off the soldering iron.

So if want to save yourself the effort of a separate order from an electronics part supplier you can get a full kit from Jack.

Good luck all!
Mark

jcg0322

Re: Bugle power supply - Jack Gallagher to the rescue!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:18 am »
Mark,

You are too kind.
I am only one of many in this forum who is here to help.

Thanks,
Jack

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2008, 01:58 am »
Hi Jack,

I didnt order my Bugle power supply from you but would next time.  I spent more ordering the board directly from Hagtech and then sourcing the parts from DigiKey than if I had just purchased everything from you directly.

Maybe this will save someone else a few buck.

Take care,
Tom

jcg0322

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2008, 05:31 pm »
Jim Hagerman is the one to thank...........it is his design and engineering.

I am just a pee-on

keep the feedback going....

That's how we learn and get better.

Jack Gallagher

lssalmin

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2013, 10:25 am »
Hello everyone, it's my first post! Figured I could use this thread instead of making a new one. So my question is: Does Jack Gallagher (or anyone else for that matter) sell these full Power Supply kits, with LED's and power entries? I looked up farnell.com for the parts and the price was about +70 euros and i wasn't even sure about all the parts. DigiKey would be even more expensive since I would have to pay 22% VAT (to Finland) and few percents for the customs...

SO, anyone? Please? I also consired using two wall warts but that would just look plain ugly.

Thanks,
Lauri

poty

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2013, 05:07 pm »
Just to check: I made the set on farnell.com and it turned out to be only around $35. The only problem is the power transformer which is not PCB mounted (but can be fit in place and soldered by wires). The list is:
Spec      Num   P/N   Euro   Total Euro
4700uF 25V   4   1304301   1,32   5,28
470uF 25V   4   1822556   0,164   0,656
1 ohm      2   1601997   0,039   0,078
10 ohm      2   1602168   0,03   0,06
1k ohm      6   1601998   0,03   0,18
10k ohm      2   1602170   0,03   0,06
Diode MBR1100   8   4897432   0,22   1,76
Regulator, pos.   1   1147700   0,43   0,43
Regulator, neg.   1   1706049   0,38   0,38
Heat Sink      2   1611438   1,35   2,7
Transformer   1   9531530   14,47   14,47

But... I'd made the PS by myself. Since the invention of the PS there are many-many improvements in the parts' base.

reuben

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2013, 11:35 am »
Is the Bugle 2 wall wart a switcher?

poty

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2013, 04:00 pm »
Is the Bugle 2 wall wart a switcher?
I'm not sure I understood your question. If you mean: can the Bugle 2 be powered by switched power supply? - then the answer is "yes", but there are a lot of linear power supplies which are better in general. The kit does not contain a power supply.

reuben

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2013, 03:28 pm »
I thought the Bugle 2 is supplied with a wall wart.

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2013, 07:55 am »
The Bugle2 does come with a wall wart.  It is a switching type.  I put in some extra duty to make the design quiet.  Super quiet.  No hum or buzz.

jh

Batty

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm »
Damn quiet Jim :)

seventy1

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2014, 04:15 pm »
Just to check: I made the set on farnell.com and it turned out to be only around $35.

Poty, can you be more specific about the PS kit that you made and how quiet its been?  Thanks!

poty

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2014, 02:29 pm »
Well, my message above is just a statement that there are a lot of power supplies (kits, just PCBs or even fully ready) which use modern parts' base, available for buying and are able to suit every taste.
I usually make my own decision about every device: what must be the most useful things in the power supply that brings good to the device's outcome. I can't even remember the number of different power supplies, their layouts and schematic I have used in my DIY things, beginning from 1980s...
I doubt I can suggest any product here in the forum, especially mine as soon as sometimes I sell them (alone or in some devices).

autospec

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2014, 04:16 am »
I thought I'd share my experience of trying to get the parts for the bugle power supply.
I ordered the assembled bugle from Jim and would have got the assembled ps as well had it been available.  So I ordered the half kit and then headed on over to digikey to order the necessary components.

All went swimmingly until checkout.  Shipping and handling to Australia was over US$80!!!
I hit the local electronics parts suppliers, but sourcing the transformer was proving problematic.
In desperation, I did a search on Audiogon and found that Jack Gallagher sells full kits (PCB & all components) for both the bugle and bugle power supply.  AND shipping to Oz was a much more reasonable US$13!

The order was filled and shipped promptly.  All parts are present and accounted for.
Jim's documentation (with addendums) was supplied in colour hard copy.  In addition, Jack supplies his own documentation that I know will come in handy when I dust off the soldering iron.

So if want to save yourself the effort of a separate order from an electronics part supplier you can get a full kit from Jack.

Good luck all!
Mark

autospec