RM40 Center channel build

Brax

RM40 Center channel build
« on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:29 pm »
I am planning to build an RM40 center channel speaker to mate with my RM40s to complete the front end of my 5.1 system. I run a set of RM2s for surround speakers and have a set of DIY 18” sealed subwoofers.

I will basically match the dimensions of my existing RM40s for the cabinet with the exception of the down firing PR. I will extend the cabinet height to compensate for the bottom slot base. I’ll be building the cabinet from 11 layer Birch plywood with a 1-1/2” thick face and braced 3/4 “ sides and back. This speaker will sit behind my audio transparent theater screen so I will be finishing the whole speaker with a painted satin black finish.

I already have 4 neo panels and an AC G3 ribbon tweeter for this build. I am still trying to decide on the woofer and mid woofer I should use. My first thought was to go with a set of Acustic Elegance woofers. A TD10H (Fs of 27.6) for the bottom woofer and a TD10M (Fs of 40.1) for the top mid base woofer. By all reviews, these are excellent drivers but a bit pricey running $290 each. The other option would be to use a TC Sounds Epic 10” (Fs of 24.3) but this is more of a subwoofer driver with a top end of only 150hz. I guess running the TC Sounds driver and the TD10M may be an option. Still need to do some research on this. I was also planning on using two 15” side firing PRs in this build. They would be mounted on opposite sides of the cabinet to offset any vibration or rocking these would create in such a tall and narrow speaker like the RM40.

My RM40s have the TRT caps and to match this crossover, I’m looking at a few hundred dollars. I was thinking this may be a good fit to use a MiniDSP as a two way crossover. I would still need to build a passive crossover for the tweeter but I could run the Neo panels and the woofers directly from the MiniDSP. This would give me a feel for using an active crossover and if all went well, I could convert the RM40s somewhere down the line. I have the amplification to do so since I abandoned my plan for a 7.1 system and will just go with a 5.1 system. I have 8 channels of amplification from my Earthquake Cinenova 5 and 3 amps (not including the 2 Crown CE4000s for the subwoofers).

Like I said, I am slowly picking up the pieces for this build and would like to hear any comments or advice from the people on this board that know way more about speaker building than me. I can handle the woodworking part of the build, I’m just a little ignorant when it comes to the finer details of driver integration and crossovers that will be needed to make this build a success.

/mp

Re: RM40 Center channel build
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm »
[A] RM40 center channel...RM40...front end...RM2... surround speakers and...a set of DIY 18” sealed subwoofers.

Sweet

I am still trying to decide on the woofer and mid woofer I should use.

Wouldn't one get the most similar sound from the center channel by cloning a main speaker?

[G]ive me a feel for using an active crossover and if all went well,

BC's digital edition used a Behringer DEQ2496 (~$350) as a crossover according to the old website IIRC. Can't help you with the correct settings. Good luck on the project.

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2014, 01:57 pm »
Good to hear that you have panels and tweeters in hand.  That's always a hurdle; finding the correct drivers, for a 'clone' project.  While I don't know how close you want to match a RM-40, and I'm not sure what woofers are listed in the substitute parts thread, I 'believe' Brian at one time used these woofers, from MCM Electronics, in several designs:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3550

Maybe they'll work out better.  They might not need as big of an enclosure as standard 40 woofers.

If my memory is correct, Brian usually mentioned crossover frequencies of around 280Hz for the low pass/band pass point, and 7KHz for the tweeter.  These frequencies varied up and down a few Hz, as Brian tweaked designs, but I 'think' they're close enough to start with.  Also, drivers were wired in-phase, using series crossovers, usually starting at a 6DB per octave roll off.  The roll off was sometimes increased to 12DB further out of band. 

If using a Behringer DEQ2496, you can experiment with much steeper slopes, along with crossover type: Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley,. etc. 

Plus, I like your idea of a passive crossover for the tweeter.  A cap on the tweeter not only creates the crossover, but also offers some protection from amp turn on 'thumps', and DC offset.

Otherwise, this sounds like a fun project.  Keep us updated, and post build pictures, if possible.

Like I said, I am slowly picking up the pieces for this build and would like to hear any comments or advice from the people on this board that know way more about speaker building than me. I can handle the woodworking part of the build, I’m just a little ignorant when it comes to the finer details of driver integration and crossovers that will be needed to make this build a success.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:15 am »
Brax,

If you want an Analog OXO, you could go with Kat Krossovers.  He can build you a single OXO that would match your driver set.  He is familiar with using the AC G3 instead of the G2, which makes a difference in the hinge.

Then all you'd have to do is wire all the drivers to 3 pr of binding posts. 

Kat is also familiar with the D-OXO and Digilog Bridge if you like that option.

He is currently building 3 pr of RM v60's with the G3 for the tweeter.

Hemy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:45 pm »
I used him for my LRC and he did a great job.

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2014, 04:11 pm »
Hey Hemy,

I was just rereading the thread, where you sent your LCR speaker to Kat Krossovers.  I was wondering how that worked out? 
Sounding good?  The whole VMPS surround set-up meeting your expectations?

Thanks,

Stewart

I used him for my LRC and he did a great job.