Suggestions for Eric Clapton recordings

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Suggestions for Eric Clapton recordings
« on: 16 Aug 2014, 04:20 pm »
Last night I stumbled on some YouTube vids of Eric Clapton, and I particularly like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LcuNhoZcY.

Looking for suggestions of great sounding Clapton recordings, preferably in LP.  I like the slow, understated style, which at first listen I thought was Dire Straits.

Thanks!

'brick

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Suggestions for Eric Clapton recordings
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2014, 04:27 pm »
This has become one of my favorites and the recent reissue sounds pretty good. It was payback by Clapton to Cale for writing "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" for him. It won Cale his only Grammy.

Doc

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2014, 04:56 pm »
The Cream Reunion Tour from 2005 on Blu Ray has it all:  Outstanding sonic quality and some of his best playing in recent years.  The Hi-Res DTS recording is simply breath taking, and sounds closer to real than any vinyl playback rig I've ever heard (and I have heard a lot of them over the years).

Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker are at another level in ability compared to most any rock musician, and they push Clapton to step up his performance like no one else can.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm »
Eric Clapton Unplugged.

NB

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:42 pm »
For a broad spectrum of his early work, The History of Eric Clapton is a good one.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:27 pm »
I like Me and Mr. Johnson (which technically isn't Clapton but is Robert Johnson instead).  I was also thinking of getting this one, but it's a tribute to JJ Cale:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0X1PYM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&coliid=I389K7KRLWIFR3

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2014, 05:37 pm »
I like Me and Mr. Johnson (which technically isn't Clapton but is Robert Johnson instead).  I was also thinking of getting this one, but it's a tribute to JJ Cale:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0X1PYM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&coliid=I389K7KRLWIFR3]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0X1PYM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15LWHGA04FA5N&coliid=I389K7KRLWIFR3[/size]

good CD...also widely available at Starbucks Coffee shops

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:05 pm »
good CD...also widely available at Starbucks Coffee shops

Thanks, as I didn't know whether it was any good.  I'll have to see what the price is at Starbucks.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:11 pm »
Thanks, as I didn't know whether it was any good.  I'll have to see what the price is at Starbucks.

I try to stay as far away from Steal-Your-Bucks as I can, but I'll look into the CD.  Thanks!

dflee

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:43 pm »
I still like his work in Blind Faith.

Don

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:55 pm »
24 Nights (Live in Royal Albert Hall double CD).  Always thought he sounded a lot better in concert - particularly in the 70-90's.  Then he got back into "roots" blues and the studio albums started to get a bit more interesting.

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2014, 03:49 am »
Bob,

Most all of Clapton's recordings since the late 90s are are really good quality, sound-wise. Most are availible on vinyl too. Good part of that is Stan Ricker has done the mastering on several of them which means FAR superior sound than the average piece of vinyl.

Since you are looking for the understated, let me suggest these; Pilgrim, Reptile, and Road To Escondido. I'm not a big fan of his 'blues' albums, that and a couple of his latest albums just aren't very good IMO. If you want an compilation, his recent release Complete Clapton is really good plus Stan mastered it. Primo vinyl  :thumb:

Hope that helps!

PA

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2014, 12:08 am »
I am crazy about this one. EC's collaboration with jazz master Wynton Marsalis.
I find EC in top form here and he just seem to love the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOixoY6k0I4

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:25 am »
Not sure if this is on LP,
http://www.allmusic.com/album/blues-mw0000244171

Eric Clapton earned a reputation as a blues guitarist early in his career, and while he frequently returned to the blues -- usually recording at least one blues tune per album -- he never recorded a full-fledged blues album until 1994's From the Cradle. It became one of the most popular records of his career. Not long afterward, MCA assembled a collection of Jimi Hendrix's blues recordings, and that compilation also proved quite successful. Those two releases provided the blueprint for Blues, Polygram's double-disc collection of blues highlights from Clapton's RSO recordings of the '70s. On each of those albums, Clapton dabbled in the blues, and all of those moments, along with five previously unreleased tracks (both live and studio cuts), are featured here. Given that it's a compilation spanning ten years, it's not entirely surprising that Blues lacks cohesion, but the quality of the songs and performances is better than the majority of his RSO albums. As a matter of fact, nearly every performance on this set offers proof that Clapton could still dazzle as a guitarist during the '70s, even if his life was plagued with personal problems that ultimately affected his recording career. Blues may not appeal to listeners who just want hits, but even serious fans who have most of the tunes here may find this a revelatory listening experience.

kenreau

« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:00 pm »
"Slowhand" album from 1977 is still my favorite.   Pick up a used LP for $8 and be amazed.  Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight and Peaches & Diesel are just a few of the great songs on the album.

Kenreau

decal

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2014, 11:53 pm »

E.C.'s first solo album is still my favorite.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2014, 02:16 am »
24 Nights (Live in Royal Albert Hall double CD).  Always thought he sounded a lot better in concert - particularly in the 70-90's.  Then he got back into "roots" blues and the studio albums started to get a bit more interesting.

+1. The version of "Old Love" is other-worldly! 

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:45 am »

Looking for suggestions of great sounding Clapton recordings, preferably in LP.  I like the slow, understated style, which at first listen I thought was Dire Straits.

I think you'll  like 461 Ocean Blvd.