James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi Resolution Digital Music Content
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:40 pm »
High Res Content

Reference Recordings (24 bit / 176.4 kHz WAV) • Files distributed on DVD

HD Tracks (24 bit at 88.2 and 96 kHz FLAC) • Files distributed via internet download

Gimell (24 bit / 96kHz FLAC) • Files distributed via internet download

MA Recordings (96kHz and 176.4 kHz WAV) • Files distributed on DVD

Chesky Records (24 bit / 176.4 kHz WAV) • Files distributed on DVD

2L (24 bit at 96kHz and 192 kHz FLAC) • Files distributed via internet download

Society of Sound (24 bit 48 kHz FLAC) • Files distributed via download by subscription

Boston Symphony Orchestra (24 bit 88.2 kHz AIFF) • Files distributed via download by subscription

james

KeithA

Re: Hi Resolution Digital Music Content
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:51 pm »
I am a member of Society of Sound...some of the music is quirky.

Last time I checked HD Tracks was not available to Canadian customers.

Keith

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »
James;

Good stuff, thanks!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2010, 05:49 am »
I believe Linn too issues their stuff on hi-rez PCM

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:26 pm »
For hi-rez audio, what is the usage model like for a two channel setup?

Thoughts I have are:
1) iMac/MacMini/PC USB out to BDA-1, 
2) USB harddrive connected to the BDA-1,  --Is that even an option? Guessing no
3) Stream the audio to the USB port from a computer/music server... --If so, which products would work

I'm definitely excited about the new hi-resolution digital audio formats, but I'm having trouble with having another computer in another room of the house. I think option 3) would be preferred as long as there's a wireless remote. I assume this would be a lot like an Apple TV or any UPnP device and option 2) would be reasonable but some might find it inconvenient to add new hi-rez files. 

Any other thoughts?   

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:36 pm »
I love Chesky Records.  :thumb:

quietdragon

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:59 pm »
Last time I checked HD Tracks was not available to Canadian customers.

Huh?  I purchased and downloaded an 96/24 album last year.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2010, 12:26 am »
There's also AIX Records - excellent recording - http://www.itrax.com/

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2010, 06:21 am »
Another label/store to add:
http://www.naimlabel.com/

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but track 9 is interesting and you can freely download the 96/24 (wave/flac) version along with apple lossless version for comparison.  I even picked up the vinyl album at the not-so-local local music store. 
http://theslip.nin.com/

MikeDC

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2010, 12:17 am »
I love Chesky Records.  :thumb:

There have been complaints on other sites and it also has been my experience that Chesky Records sometimes fails to ship CD's that you have purchased.  So proceed with caution.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2010, 01:04 am »
As stated numerous times before, we have a whole Circle dedicated to this topic.  No offense, but in the spirit of AC there is no need to stay Bryston about it.   :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=150.0

Yes, Naim label is one of my faves, and it always seems to deliver true hirez material.  The Charlie Haden collaboration with Antonio Forcione called Heartplay is an incredible 24/96 recording.

BTW, if you encounter a "faux" hirez purchase (i.e simply redbook upconverted, or for example being duped by Rhino calling 16/44 redbook "hidef" cuz their only other offering is MP3??) then report it on our "faux hirez" thread sticky.  Thanks
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76363.0

canucks0

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2010, 12:43 am »
Are there any labels with Rock, Pop, Folk Rock and Easy Listening content in Hi-Rez? Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2010, 12:45 am »
Are there any labels with Rock, Pop, Folk Rock and Easy Listening content in Hi-Rez? Thanks.

AIX's online downloads have a variety.  Chesky has some too.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2010, 12:56 am »

DVD-Audio discs are your best bet.  They can be ripped to hard disc, but require a DVD-A player.  Grateful Dead, Yes, REM, David Crosby, Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, etc.  Lots' of Neil Young hirez on regular DVD (rippable 24/96 PCM) like Live at Massey Hall, Sugar Mountain, Greatest Hits, etc.

Already ripped and downloadable?  There are some Kinks, Carla Lother, Dave Grisman, Alison Kraus/Robert Plant and others on HDTracks.

Napalm

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2010, 03:16 am »
Don't forget this for classical music:

https://www.analekta.com/

You guys all rockers :rock: or what, how could you miss the biggest indie Canadian record label for classical music? 

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2010, 03:30 am »
A small selection which sounds very good. Ever wondered how a Steinway piano could sound through your Brystons if the engineer didn't pass it through a compressor? Here it is:

http://bluecoastrecords.com/

Nap.  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2010, 03:38 am »
Cookie Marenco's BlueCoast recordings are fantastic.  Her 5.1 SACD recording techinique (E.S.E.) is quite startling in its realism.  Cookie and I met at RMAF a few years ago and continue to dialog.  She's a great resource and is very dedicated to HiRez, both SACD and 24/96 downloads.

Napalm

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2010, 03:47 am »
Cookie Marenco's BlueCoast recordings are fantastic.  Her 5.1 SACD recording techinique (E.S.E.) is quite startling in its realism.  Cookie and I met at RMAF a few years ago and continue to dialog.  She's a great resource and is very dedicated to HiRez, both SACD and 24/96 downloads.

I'm attracted by the downloads. I don't have a really good 5.1 system and I also don't want to have the rug pulled from under my feet by Sony declaring SACD dead and introducing yet another DRM/Copy protected scheme. Is there a 2 channel SACD mix too or just 5.1?

Nap.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2010, 04:46 am »
For the ESE Sessions (a great sampler if there ever was one) it is a hybrid disc, meaning both 2 channel and 5.1 SACD.  The Art Lande piano solo, While She Sleeps, is a hybrid also, but this time meaning stereo redbook layer and SACD.  No multichannel with that one.

Napalm

« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2010, 02:36 pm »
For the ESE Sessions (a great sampler if there ever was one) it is a hybrid disc, meaning both 2 channel and 5.1 SACD.  The Art Lande piano solo, While She Sleeps, is a hybrid also, but this time meaning stereo redbook layer and SACD.  No multichannel with that one.

James, give'm files a try with the BDP-1, I think this is something special.  :eyebrows:

Nap.