Sites to download High Res audio?

rahimlee54

Sites to download High Res audio?
« on: 8 May 2009, 01:58 am »
Can I get a list of some sites to dl some high bit rate music?

Thanks
Jared

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Sites to download High Res audio?
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2009, 06:03 pm »
I've visited all these sites (and downloaded from about 10 of them), but for brevity sake I cut-and-pasted from Weiss Digital's link page on their website (DAC mfg'er).  Then i added a couple (incl Cookie Marenco's great BlueCoast Records).

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2009, 12:57 pm »
Please note the qualifier on the above list, "uncompressed or hi rez"  Not to be critical but DGM live for example will not have any hi rez audio.

simplest place for 24/48 and 24/96 files would be archive.org.  there is actually a specific search function to locate 24 bit recordings.  Depends on the sort of music you like but I am a Dead Head (Hello, my name is John, and I am a Dead Head) and you can find lots of simply outstanding live recordings of Bob Weir and Ratdog (I recommend the one from the Stir in 2007 with Steve Kimock and Jamaica from this January), Phil Lesh and Friends (any of the ones recorded during summer tour outdoors) and Steve Kimock (the 24 bit stage recordings are amazing!)

You can also check out digitalsoundboard.net for some 24 bit recordings you can purchase as flac files.

Just BTW, I don't store these on a hard drive because the file sizes are so large. I use DVD-Audio Creator, and nice program for like 30 bucks that will burn these onto a DVD that can be played with just about any DVD player.

Enjoy!

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2009, 03:53 pm »
Don't forget archive.org. Lots of great stuff out there, all free.

This URL will search their site for 24bit recordings:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=(format%3A(24Bit%20FLAC)%20OR%20(flac24)%20OR%20(24-bit)%20OR%2024bit)%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

mike

cryoparts

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2009, 08:25 pm »
A couple of free Kent Poon's amazing recordings here:

http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/?page_id=318

Lee

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm »
Lee, I agree.  "Freddie" is an incredible performance and I have it both on 24/192 and 24/96.  David (Rydenfan) pulled the trigger on the disc and will get it soon.

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:15 pm »
Lee, I agree.  "Freddie" is an incredible performance and I have it both on 24/192 and 24/96.  David (Rydenfan) pulled the trigger on the disc and will get it soon.

It is, indeed.   :thumb:

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm »

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:47 am »

I hope it will be waiting for me when I return home. I will certainly report back

Moon Doggy

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:44 pm »
Naim Audio has started to offer 24 bit WAV downloads  8)

Right here: http://www.naimlabel.com/

cryoparts

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:12 pm »

I hope it will be waiting for me when I return home. I will certainly report back

A full report is expected!   :lol:

Rydenfan--I haven't forgotten about your request, still working on it.

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:32 pm »
Best deal ($30 for a subscription!) on some great music from the BSO:

http://www.bso.org/bso/shop/productCategories.jsp;jsessionid=MB2DLKZQ1FF...

Lee

rydenfan

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2009, 04:11 am »

A full report is expected!   :lol:

Rydenfan--I haven't forgotten about your request, still working on it.

Lee

Lee, I hope not :wink: i am in desperate need of a high quality firewire cable, 9 pin to 6 pin

Napalm

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2010, 03:13 am »
Canadian record house dedicated to classical music:

https://www.analekta.com/

Nap.  :thumb:

sturgl

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2010, 06:49 pm »
musicgiants is out of business (for the moment, at least).  As I understand the story, one of its angel investors pulled out.  The company's investor-base was poorly diversified, making ongoing operations impossible, once this investor pulled funding.  They were/are attempting to restructure under Chapter 11, but given that they filed a year ago, I'm guessing things haven't gone well.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2010, 06:54 pm »
musicgiants is out of business (for the moment, at least).  As I understand the story, one of its angel investors pulled out.  The company's investor-base was poorly diversified, making ongoing operations impossible, once this investor pulled funding.  They were/are attempting to restructure under Chapter 11, but given that they filed a year ago, I'm guessing things haven't gone well.

Yes, Music Giants has been gone for a year now.  We were hoping at that time that it wasn't a portend of things to come.  Luckily, most other sites have been doing ok I guess.

michael123

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:39 pm »

Did you see its spectrum?
Looks like plain upsampling..

Lyndon

« Reply #19 on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:49 pm »
ted,
I heard a piece done by the Boston Symphony Chamber Orchestra, and started checking on how to buy it.  This led me to their home site.  I didn't like that they were selling the digital stream only in  WMA format.  I went ahead and bought the sacd, used off of Amazon, but started to wonder, which hi-rez service offers the best bang for the buck?  And with other formats besides WMA.  I'm not talking about Apple or PC.  PC here.  I'm talking about FLAC, Ogg-Vorbis, and so on.  Boston offers a yearly fee, and I was tempted, as it would have only cost a little more than this CD, but I was afraid it would not have included the selection I wanted.
Lyndon
http://www.bso.org/bso/shop/productCategories.jsp?id=bcat13360032

By the way, Ted mentioned I would have received the album I wanted, plus 11 MORE, if I had subscribed for one month.
In my best Homer Simpson mode: Du-OH! :duh: :duh: