Caution: Dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulties

jcoat007

Caution:  Dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulties at low tracking forces.

This is the label on the front of newset LP that I just picked up.  The Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy.

I plunked down $50 for this and boy was it worth it.  I just played the whole thing through for the first time and can say that the label warning is correct.   The bass is miked very close and if you want to give your lower end a workout, this is the record to do it.  I really enjoyed the music, but I also enjoyed tweaking the Q adjustments on my subs to see what effect they had.  From very tight to rumble the floor.  

Great record, great recording and most of all great bass!!!

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2003, 03:45 am »
Did you get the blue vinyl or the black? I ordered the blue but they shipped me the black vinyl. My replacement blue one should be arriving any day now. Can't wait. :)

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2003, 03:54 am »
I got blue.   :D

You won't be disappointed.  

BTW - What is virgin vinyl?  After you play it once is it still virgin vinyl?  

No...seriously, is it???

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2003, 12:16 pm »
jcoat, ya, yer record is still virgin!    :)   it means the winyl has no recycled product in it...   :wink:

doug s.

Scott F.

Re: Caution: Dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulti
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2003, 12:57 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
Caution:  Dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulties at low tracking forces.

This is the label on the front of newset LP that I just picked up.  The Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy.

I plunked down $50 for this and boy was it worth it.  I just played the whole thing through for the first time and can say that the label warning is correct.   The bass is miked very close and if you want to give your lower end a workout, this is the record to do it.    

Great record, great recording and most of all great bass!!!

It's a great piece of vinyl. Gotta be careful though, if you play it too loud you could launch your woofers into the middle of your room if you aren't careful  :D  Ray's rendition of "Take the A Train" is one of the coolest I've heard.

Dennis' first release is great too. Karrin Allyson's - Ballads (I got the last copy, sorry :)  ). One of his next releases is Karrin Allyson's - In Blue. As good as Ballads is, In Blue is even better. It's probably her best vocal release so far.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2003, 03:53 pm »
Is this what audiophiles play in their boom cars when cruising through the ghetto?

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2003, 04:25 pm »
It is if you want to get shot.   :guns:

U4EA

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2003, 05:05 pm »
A new CD of Ray's was just released.  It is called Live from Tokyo.  Available from Concord Records and Amazon.  Tremendous bow work :violin: and Gene Harris' version of Sumertime is worth the price alone.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2003, 12:57 am »
My copy of Soular Energy showed up today. Oh yea! Almost as good as I remember it from Ohio, 'course I don't have a Teres so that's why it's almost as good. :)