So much good modern music...

JoshK

« on: 30 Mar 2003, 07:58 pm »
I see it written all the time in forums for jaded audiophiles that there is no new music worth listening to, modern music, rock that is. That is a load of crap spoken from the out of touch, aged in spirit beyond their years, loser.  Tons of great stuff...

If you can't find it, go back a few years and get in touch with the bands that inspired the new guys.  I find myself going back to music I had heard of and knew others were into but didn't get the first time around.  Pavement, Afghan Whigs, Dinosaur Jr., and Fugazi come to mind.  Lots of great indy talent there regardless of whether you dig the vocals or not.  Kinda how I view Bob Dylan & Neil Young today as how they might have been back in their youth.  

Not pushing these particular bands, they might be your cup of tea or not but there is tons of great music out there but you have to ask yourself are you too deeply seeded in your ways to open your mind to a new thing?

*Spinning Dinosaur Jr. Where Have You Been?*

Mathew_M

« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2003, 11:09 pm »
I miss Pavement.  Have you listened to any of Stephen Malkmus' solo stuff?  How does it compare?

fredgarvin

jaded, out of touch losers
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2003, 06:32 pm »
joshk, I don't think its jaded, out of touch losers that prompt complaints of "no more good music" but jaded, out of touch companies that continue to dominate the airwaves and cd racks with swill. It is much harder to rake the diamonds from the muck, these days. Fewer bands get backing and 13 yo girls tend to rule the maeketplace.

jcoat007

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2003, 08:48 pm »
I think there is a lot of great music out there, and I tend to cross many, many genres of music.  The wider the range of taste, the wider the choices available.  I don't listen to top 40 radio at all, so if Brittany didn't do Pepsi commercials I wouldn't know who she is.  I don't do rap, although I do have a couple of Eminem CD's.  I like his f*ck you attitude.  I don't do country either.

Other than that, modern rock, classic rock, punk rock, grunge, alternative rock, just plain rock, bluegrass, acoustic, funk, soul, r&b, jazz, classical, solo instruments, female singers, male singers, some opera etc, etc, etc....

I have noticed that I am getting more and more into jazz, and it is such a natural to go back to the glory days to find some really great stuff.  Obviously for classical fans, there are new recordings coming out all the time and Beethoven ain't around no mo.  

Just today I found a used record store down the street from my work.  I didn't buy anything used but I did buy some new stuff.  

White Stripes - Elephant - CD
Jack Johnson - On and On - Vinyl
Audioslave - Audioslave - Vinyl

I put the White Stripes on in my car and man do they know how to milk three chords.  At times it might even be two chords.  Fun CD though, and totally original sound.  

Just yesterday I got The Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy in the mail from Acoustic Sounds.  Wow.

In the past two weeks I have picked up maybe 30 CD's and LP's and 6 or 7 concert DVD's.  I have wish lists going at Amazon and Acoustic Sounds.  I just can't get enough.  Maybe I just don't have the universe of software that the jaded folks have.  I mean once you have one of everything, then there might not be any more good music.  Until then, I will just keep being a good consumer and buying old, new, remastered, dvd...whatever.