Recommended Johnny Cash vinyl

Tonto Yoder

Re: I hit the MOTHER LOAD!!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2003, 12:09 pm »
Marbles,
Hope you find this interesting---the phrase actually is "mother lode," originally from mining; I kinda like the metaphor of mining for vinyl in hopes of discovering treasure.
"Main Entry: mother lode
Function: noun
Date: 1874
1 : the principal vein or lode of a region
2 : a principal source or supply  "

Marbles

Latest Music Archive: 02/27/03 - 03/20/03
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2003, 01:05 pm »
I originally went to school outside Boston. K-4  They tried to teach us spelling in a new way from previous methods.  This was an experimental approach of trying to memorize whole words instead of phonetics.

As you can see I have not overcome this early education.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2003, 01:30 pm »
Marbles,
actually "load" makes sense because you generally have a load of LP's (or whatever) whenever you hit the mother lode.  To the best of my knowledge, the word "lode" isn't used (by normal people at least) outside of the phrase "mother lode."

Still, I've always liked the image of prospecting for vinyl gold--you get down on your hands and knees, sometimes in filthy conditions, sometimes finding Fool's Gold (that "original" Blue Note that turns out to be scratched irreparably) but now and then discovering treasure.

Tonto

Marbles

« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2003, 01:55 pm »
Tonto,

After digging through the Goodwill stores in my town, then happening across this place, was like finding that vein of gold.

While not inexpensive, they had most of the LP's I was looking for (no AC/DC Highway To Hell).  

Yesterday I received my Channel Island phono pre so I was able to put my TT in my ref system.

It sounds great.

I now have to make a list of my LP's so when I go hunting I know which ones I have and which I don't.

When I visited my In-laws last, at Thanksgiving, I picked up my wifes and Brother - In -Laws LP's.

Some are surprisingly to my taste, others are not.

Tonto Yoder

Thrift stores vs. used vinyl stores
« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:21 pm »
Yeah, I understand the attraction of looking through Goodwill bins and finding a gem, but that gets frustrating when you don't find anything for weeks or months. Personally, I'd rather go to a used store where I KNOW there'll be some good stuff I'll want. Unfortunately, my "local" used store is about 45 minutes away--not an insurmountable problem, but still too far to just pop in when the spirit moves me.

Marbles

« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:50 pm »
Goodwill is great, you can always find that allusive Best of Jim Nabors or any Herb Albert LP out there :-)

bob82274

« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2003, 08:11 pm »
I feel sorry for you guys... I have 3 used record stores within walking distance.  I haven't been in a while... mostly cause I picked their stocks clean of the things I want.  Not too many new LPs but a few.

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2003, 10:04 pm »
Hey Rob,

Did you read about how I found a whole bunch of LP's in the garbage room last week?  Some of them are to my taste and many were still in the wrapper.  Still between my dad giving me his entire collection and an auction for a lot of LP's I won, I have quite a few LPs to go through before I get bored.