New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers

avahifi

New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers
« on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:48 pm »
The Fet Valve 600R Hybrid Amplifier  $2949
The Fet Valve 400R Hybrid Amplifier  $2549

Presenting the new AVA Fet Valve R series amplifiers, available in two models, the Fet Valve 600R (300 watts per channel) and the Fet Valve 400R (200 watts per channel).

Both offer absolutely unique engineering accomplishments; active analog regulated power supplies for each section of each channel.  There are active 12V heater supplies for each tube, active 275V and 200V regulators for each plate of each tube and for the mos-fet drivers, and finally (and an audio engineering first we believe) active analog regulated power supplies for each power mos-fet output circuit, ten high speed analog high current regulated power supplies in all. No switching supplies or associated RFI noise at all.

You have never heard before, at any price, the astonishing musical quality and control our engineering has now achieved.  We offer simply astonishing bass range, control, and dynamics, open, layered, and emotional mid-range, and a top end that never stops, with no trace of glare, grain, or grit.  Your speakers and your ears will never be happier.

Both amplifiers sound identical, you save $400 if you choose the Fet Valve 400R, if all you need is a very strong 200 watts per channel. The newest Exicon “double-die” power mos-fets are standard on both new Fet Valve R models.

Both amps use two ECC81/12AT7 tubes.

All new AVA products now include IEC power sockets and a ground lift switch to eliminate ground loop hum in complex systems.

All previous generation AVA hybrid amplifiers built in our large amplifier chassis can be upgraded to an equivalent Fet Valve 400R or 600R amplifier. (300 or 350 series to 400R, 500 or 550 series to 600R).  The upgrade price is $1500.

The upgrade includes new audio boards, new small signal multiple regulated power supply board, new ground plain - high current regulated power supply boards, and new double die Exicon mos-fets as required.  The upgrade also includes a new 3 year parts and labor warranty.

The 600R amplifier was driving Jim Salk's SoundScape 10 speakers at the recent California Audio Show  when Stereophile rated our room as having "the best bass at the show."  Of course the mids and highs were just as good.

These new amplifiers are spectacular!  Call us for more details.  651-330-9871

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: New, the Fet Valve 600R and 400R hybrid amplfiers
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm »
Today I got a chance to listen to the new 400R amp at Frank's studio when I went to pick up my Ultra DAC that was modded with the new Mosfet's.  I was very impressed with the new amp.  The amp is overall more musical, dynamic and resolving than the 550 that I had heard previously.  Bass is tighter and seems faster, there seems to be more depth and detail to the music and the amp is dead quiet on soft passages.  I think that it is a significant step up from the 550 and 350, so much so that I am now considering selling my Parasound A21 so that I can purchase the 400R.  In a couple of weeks Frank is going to let me take a 400R home to audition.  I will post another review on how it sounds in my system which consists of the Ultra II preamp, Ultra II DAC, Parasound A21 amp and Magnepan QR1.6 speakers.

Larry

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2011, 02:24 am »
Larry:
 Send the amp to me after you audition it. I want to compare it to my Mac MC-352 amp. Frank says I'll take a hammer to the Mac after I hear the 400R. Hard for me to believe.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2011, 02:58 am »
Larry:
 Send the amp to me after you audition it. I want to compare it to my Mac MC-352 amp. Frank says I'll take a hammer to the Mac after I hear the 400R. Hard for me to believe.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

An AVA amp tour?  Sweet!!! Sign me up!!!  :thumb:

I'd love to write a review of a direct comparison between the 600R and the venerable Fet Valve Ultra 550 (sporting NOS Telefunken ECC801S valves).

All I need now is the 600R to show up...  8)

This could be really cool.  :D

Have fun,

Jerry

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2011, 01:19 pm »
New Fet Valve 400R/600R amp tour?

Lets see what Larry thinks about it when he gets to take it for the weekend.  It can be this coming weekend if he has time.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2011, 01:23 pm »
sign me up! 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:26 pm »
New Fet Valve 400R/600R amp tour?

Lets see what Larry thinks about it when he gets to take it for the weekend.  It can be this coming weekend if he has time.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, I am working this weekend but the following weekend I have off and would be able to audition the amp.  Email or PM me and lets set up a time.

Thanks,

Larry

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:37 pm »
I'll be home this weekend. :wink:

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:52 pm »
If the tour comes through Chicago, I'd love to hear either of these amps.  Haven't owned AVA in a long time but I still regret selling my Fetvalve!  Frank has been making great sounging, high performing gear for a long time.  I look forward to hearing the latest.

Cheers,

J

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:14 pm »
Note that Jim Salk and I will be making a presentation to the Chicago Audio Club on Sunday, September 18th.  We certainly will have the new amps there along with Jim's Soundscape 10 or 12 speakers.

See you then we hope.

Frank Van Alstine

aln

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm »
Just wanted to say that the new back panel layout as seen in the Absolute Sound looks very good. I am saving my pennies as we speak.  Congrats!

Aln

jmc207

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:06 pm »
Just wanted to say that the new back panel layout as seen in the Absolute Sound looks very good. I am saving my pennies as we speak.  Congrats!

Aln

Can someone post a picture of the new back panel layout? I'm interested in how it's changed.

Thanks!

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:46 pm »
OK, OK, here are some pictures.......

:thumb:

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:45 pm »
Note that Jim Salk and I will be making a presentation to the Chicago Audio Club on Sunday, September 18th.  We certainly will have the new amps there along with Jim's Soundscape 10 or 12 speakers.

See you then we hope.

Frank Van Alstine

I saw that listed in the September issue of Stereophile's Industry Update Calender. I grew up in Arlington Heights and used to be a mailman there in 1970 after I graduated from college, best paying job I could get with my degree. You should have a good sized crowd, good luck.

http://www.chicagoaudio.org/meetings.htm

The meeting starts at 2 pm and lasts till around 5 pm, with a break in between.

Newcomers are welcome!   You can attend without obligation. There is a $5 fee for nonmembers. You can also join if you wish. Membership is open to all interested.

Arlington Heights Historical Society (in the Arlington Room)
    110 W. Fremont St.
    Arlington Heights, IL 60004
    (847) 255-1225

Wayne

AVA convert

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm »
Talked to Frank about a week ago asking about a problem with one of my ultra 550s, he told me about the new R series and it took him about 45 seconds to convince me to upgrade, sending in the first one on Monday the 15th, can hardly wait to hear it!!!

tonyptony

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2011, 12:42 am »
If there really is going to be a consideration for a tour I'd like to sign up as well. I can bounce it against my Ultra 550 Double+. The latest iteration, also with ECC801S TFKs!

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:47 am »
Nice to see you around here Tony! 8)

tonyptony

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:00 pm »
Hi Marty! Hope all is well.

festuss

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:43 am »
Larry:

Cheers
                                           Charlie
Anything from AVA will smoke a McIntosh product.  My   2 Hafler P500 AVA OmegaStar EX smoked the Mc's some time ago so much he sold his pair and bought two AVA units and AVA Ultra hybrid phase inverter.  Mc's are dull and lifeless, and way over pricey, cool blue meters though.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm »
Anything from AVA will smoke a McIntosh product.  My   2 Hafler P500 AVA OmegaStar EX smoked the Mc's some time ago so much he sold his pair and bought two AVA units and AVA Ultra hybrid phase inverter.  Mc's are dull and lifeless, and way over pricey, cool blue meters though.

I disagree with you on the Mac's being dull and lifeless. Just the other way around in my system. Of course the Mac might be sounding so darn good in my system  because I have it paired with Frank's Avastar preamp and Vision Hybrid DAC. Might just be like a marriage made in heaven. Now ain't that something!!

Cheers
                                                   Charlie