Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!

Wayner

Re: Our Ultravalve Tube Amp is Ready!
« Reply #60 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:16 am »

Lets give credit where credit is due, Larry Jenkins is the amp builder and he did the superb  job on this one. I just draw the stupid pictures, these guys make the stuff happen. Once again I am reminded by myself, how lowly I am, and how wonderful the rest of the group is. Thanks Larry and Frank.

Wayner

Listens2tubes

« Reply #61 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:31 am »
LUCKYYY!!! :drool: with most all the changes I dreamnt of :inlove: Frank is the man. :green:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #62 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:47 am »

Lets give credit where credit is due, Larry Jenkins is the amp builder and he did the superb  job on this one. I just draw the ... pictures....

Wayner

Good drawings, Wayner.  And great job, Larry and Frank.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #63 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:26 am »
If Wayne didn't do his job well we couldn't do our job well.  His "stupid pictures" are used by our vendors to create the chassis and faceplates.  We who assemble the units appreciate the fit and finish created with his drawings.

Once our web site is updated (don't ask), there should be some pictures of the inside of Wayne's Ultravalve.  Larry did a great job.  I would have let him do mine except I enjoyed doing it myself too much.

Regards,
Dean

Rocket

« Reply #64 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:43 am »
Hi Frank,

Classy looking amplifier.  I bet you will sell a bundle of them.

Regards

Rod

Wayner

« Reply #65 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:42 pm »
By the way, the Ultravalve came plug and play. Frank and his merry men have designed a very special carton to get the amp to your house in one nice and shinny piece, with tubes on board. This is accomplished with 2 custom designed inserts to snug the transformers and put a very slight and captivating amount of "hold power" on the tubes. It's just a fantastic product! Of course, I'm biased, Fit and finish are first class.

It only took a few minutes to plug in the amp, set the initial bias to 1.6VDC (with no input), rechecking after about 15 minutes, and then it was rock and roll.

Wayner

Will2

« Reply #66 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:54 pm »
I'm interested to see a 16 OHM speaker connection.  Forgive the ignorance but what is done to make the 4 OHM different to the 8 OHM different to the 16 OHM output?  Why have you chosen to add the 16 OHM connection - it seems quite unusual.

Oh, and by the way, layman's language would help a lot - I certainly fall squarely in that category  :?

Cheers
Will

Wayner

« Reply #67 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:08 pm »
Will,

Those are standard impedance taps off the transformer. Yes, the 16 Ohm is unusual, but there are some older vintage speakers out there that some folks may have and want to use with this amplifier. I think I remember some old Utah coaxial and triaxial speakers that were 16 Ohm?

Wayner  :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:46 pm »
The amp (and packing) is stunning.  Just beautiful.   :drool:

evan1

« Reply #69 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:07 pm »
My new Ultravalve is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayner  :drool:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Triple drool
Very tempting

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 08:11 pm by evan1 »

Listens2tubes

« Reply #70 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:56 pm »
 :drool: If I ever do a major house move or room change that my Mk IV's won't work in THIS IS THE AMP I would snatch up in a second. 8)

As for 16 ohm taps my Dad's Altec Voice of the Theator horn and woofer speakers run off the 16 ohm taps of his Marantz 8b. All I can say is :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2010, 10:26 pm »
Today I finished designing and ordered parts for my new Ultravalve dual DC voltage LCD meter. This is a little DIY project I have had in mind for some time. It will read the bias voltage of the left and right channels at the same time and allow me to dial it in, instead of fartin' around with my VOMs. The LCD meters are from Velleman and require a 9 VDC power source, which I will use a wall wart with plug and receptacle. The test lead probes will fit into the banana jacks on the unit and (with some modifications) will fit into the probe jacks on the Ultravalve. Should be a fun little project.

writeface

« Reply #72 on: 22 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm »
I can't find this amp in avahifi.com. Any idea about pricing.. availability...?

Nels Ferre

« Reply #73 on: 22 Feb 2010, 11:56 pm »
$1699, available now.

martyo

« Reply #74 on: 22 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm »
Way neat Wayner. :thumb:

And congrats on the awesome amp!!!

Art_Chicago

« Reply #75 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:49 am »
I can't find this amp in avahifi.com. Any idea about pricing.. availability...?

avahifi-how to order- price list (new).pdf

pardales

« Reply #76 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:59 am »
Today I finished designing and ordered parts for my new Ultravalve dual DC voltage LCD meter. This is a little DIY project I have had in mind for some time. It will read the bias voltage of the left and right channels at the same time and allow me to dial it in, instead of fartin' around with my VOMs. The LCD meters are from Velleman and require a 9 VDC power source, which I will use a wall wart with plug and receptacle. The test lead probes will fit into the banana jacks on the unit and (with some modifications) will fit into the probe jacks on the Ultravalve. Should be a fun little project.

So this amp does not auto-bias? I thought it did but perhaps I was mistaken.

Otis

« Reply #77 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:07 am »
So who else thinks that the black faceplate screws should be replaced with chrome hex-head bolts? If I had one of these amps that'd be the first mod. The gold-plated transformer bells could wait a few days. :)

Nice meter project Wayner! One of my small laments is that when Frank was asking us what we'd like to see in the new tube amp, no one 'put in for' individual bias pots for each tube. If we'd gotten it, your meter would have four (or even six) meters!  :eyebrows:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #78 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:22 am »
So who else thinks that the black faceplate screws should be replaced with chrome hex-head bolts? If I had one of these amps that'd be the first mod.

+1. That was my first thought when I saw the picture of this beautiful amp.

srb

« Reply #79 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:25 am »
So who else thinks that the black faceplate screws should be replaced with chrome hex-head bolts?

I was thinking satin stainless steel hex screws.

Steve
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2010, 08:12 pm by srb »