why do you like certain rock guitar players

dflee

Re: why do you like certain rock guitar players
« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:38 pm »
For something a little different, Klaus Voorman, Herbie Flowers (jump into the fire- awesome)
Flea and Mr McCartney. Six stringers have to include George Harrison and Alvin Lee.

Mag

« Reply #41 on: 18 Nov 2016, 01:51 am »
My take on rock guitar players is how creative they are in rock riffs. I think all the guitar players mentioned have to be proficient to make a career in music, just that some are better at playing rock than others.

My top 3:

Jimmy Page, when he was at the height of career, Song Remains the Same. Nobody before or since had the creative chops and proficiency to do what he did with a guitar. Sure he made mistakes and some described his style as sloppy, but man he came up with good rock riffs on many songs.

Alex Lifeson of Rush has a rhythmic style that may not draw attention to how good this guy is. But to create the progressive rock ambience and atmosphere in their songs I don't think any other guitarist could pull it off.

Ritchie Blackmore, not always at his best, hit and miss. But when he was on with his improve style could he ever create brilliant guitar solos, Highway Star, Child in Time, Lazy, Smoke on the Water- Made in Japan, You Fool No One- Made in Europe, Anya- Come Hell or High Water, Loves No Friend- bootleg, Hard Lovin Man- In Rock, Catch the Rainbow, Still I'm Sad- Rainbow On Stage, Light in the Black, Spotlight Kid- Rainbow, bootleg.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #42 on: 18 Nov 2016, 02:23 am »
Hey drphoto I really like a guitarist named Ty Tabor. He plays in the band King's X. If you are a fan of tone then I would encourage you to check out the album simply titled: "King's X". Not only is it the most incredible tone I have ever heard but it is coming from a solid state setup!

I also think Robben Ford has a great tone. I think he uses a Dumble setup.

Also love Trower but he was already mentioned.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 19 Nov 2016, 03:37 am »

Ritchie Blackmore, not always at his best, hit and miss. But when he was on with his improve style could he ever create brilliant guitar solos, Highway Star, Child in Time, Lazy, Smoke on the Water- Made in Japan, You Fool No One- Made in Europe, Anya- Come Hell or High Water, Loves No Friend- bootleg, Hard Lovin Man- In Rock, Catch the Rainbow, Still I'm Sad- Rainbow On Stage, Light in the Black, Spotlight Kid- Rainbow, bootleg.

Some of his best playing is with Blackmore's Night.

drphoto

« Reply #44 on: 19 Nov 2016, 04:01 am »
I love Neil Finn and Ryan Adams as singers and great songwriters, who are both quite capable guitar players.

So I watched this video......now stay with me, I'm not derailing my own thread here.

It also features Janis Ian. She is one hell of an acoustic guitar player. Certainly nothing flashy (like a Rodrigo y Gabriella) but I was pleasantly surprised. I'd only heard that one hit she had in the 70's but damn. Great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6cMiQzgwP4

To Mag. Yeah, the riff. That's why I mentioned  Keith. Not to take away anything from Page....he's a legend. (to be correct, in my opening post when I mentioned Keith, I should have said 'master of the riff'. A riff is thematic. Play it and you know the song. A lick is more just a fragment of a single line part)

JakeJ

« Reply #45 on: 19 Nov 2016, 04:14 am »
Adrian Belew
Fred Glickstein
Leo Kottke
Egberto Gismonte
Ottmar Liebert

Of course there are more.