where are member turntable located

mgsboedmisodpc2

« on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:05 pm »
Finally I mounted my Well tempered Classic back on the wall since it fell during storm SANDY.
I have used a shelf mounting system where I used a 20" inch hang Shelf Track which will bear most of the weight load using six Hollow wall Anchors only one of which grab onto the sheet rock stud.

Next I used three six inch hanging standards to connect the "Target Wall Shelf PRO" to once connected I hung the standards to the hang shelf track.

The WTC performs much better the better isolated it is from vibrations which is why I use adjustable height isolation cones to sit the square motor on and the plith on.

The shelf supplies totaled in cost say 20 bucks.  Locating the sheet rock stud was very time consuming.

Member describe how your turntable is installed

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: where are member turntable located
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:28 pm »
Concrete floor, poured on terra firma, Salamander rack, 4 sorbothane pucks, 2" thick maple butcher block, turntable.

Doc

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:36 pm »
"Concrete floor, " I wish.  I have bouncy wood floors that look nice

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2014, 06:42 pm »
"Concrete floor, " I wish.  I have bouncy wood floors that look nice
J. Gordon Holt recommended cutting a hole in the floor and building a chimney like structure from the basement up. A bit extreme if you ask me, but it would work.

Doc

G E

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2014, 07:00 pm »
Mine is on top shelf of SolidSteel rack that is located in a walk in closet off my listening room. Poured concrete floor.  I plan to replace the fibreboard shelf with a maple one.

One can get an electronic studfinder for $10-15 at a home improvement store. Locating studs is easy with one of these.

mbskeam

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:46 am »

/mp

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2014, 10:02 pm »

NJ

Couldn't resist. Happy Easter

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2014, 03:23 pm »
Nice frame and slab up there... Yet WTL's sound best on normal weight shelving. And definitely not on those Mapleshade boards with brass cones... I've often worried about those nice Kuzma tables he puts on those blocks... Makes me shudder...

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm »
I've tried many types of materials in different variations but finally found what I think is the ideal combo of looks and sound. Baltic birch plywood boards (better than the oak veneered mdf I used previously) sat on small isolation pads on a solid oak frame. Whatever material/design you choose aim for light but dense and rigid IMO.

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm »
What Rob said...
Baltic birch is one of our favs, and easily procured... Now Rob, here's one for you.. Some will take a Baltic birch board and cut a hole of some size in the middle- supposedly tunes it and helps with resonance... If you have a spare you might give it a try...

rob400

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2014, 05:46 pm »
What Rob said...
Baltic birch is one of our favs, and easily procured... Now Rob, here's one for you.. Some will take a Baltic birch board and cut a hole of some size in the middle- supposedly tunes it and helps with resonance... If you have a spare you might give it a try...

Will give it a go Charlie and report back. Cheers.

mbskeam

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2014, 07:43 pm »
I've tried many types of materials in different variations but finally found what I think is the ideal combo of looks and sound. Baltic birch plywood boards (better than the oak veneered mdf I used previously) sat on small isolation pads on a solid oak frame. Whatever material/design you choose aim for light but dense and rigid IMO.

why?

newbe ??? :) :) :)
trying to learn understand.

rob400

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm »

why?

newbe ??? :) :) :)
trying to learn understand.

More natural, better tone with less listening fatigue.

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2014, 09:46 pm »
Hi newbie....
If you can, try all kinds of surfaces and even different things under- cones , spikes , wafers , dots.
You'll find you can alter the "feel" of the music quite drastically, and generally not for the better .
Take two for example, Herbies and Mapleshade. Both nice companies, run by enthusiastic men. Yet put a WTL on their products, for isolation or whatev, and you've significantly altered the glorious sound of the table. And yet people spend hundreds on such stuff simply because they just don't know. I'm sure those devices are good under some things, just not WTL products.
So I hope that helps....
Just like Linn LP12's... Made for sitting on light rigid wall shelves... You see people on forums doing all kinds of absurd things to them- and hence ruining the music making they paid good money for . Simply because they don't know better, or are idiots. :)
So like Rob says... If you can try it for yourself.. It doesn't cost much.

mick wolfe

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm »
Concrete floor, poured on terra firma, Salamander rack, 4 sorbothane pucks, 2" thick maple butcher block, turntable.

Doc

+1 for this set-up. Mine is very similar. A concrete slab is certainly an ally for a turntable/audio setup. However if you're dealing with a suspended floor, I would definitely look for a well designed wall mount unit ( e.g. the Quadraspire wall mount system looks great, but it's pricey)  or well thought out DIY wall mount approach.

rob400

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:55 pm »
I'm surprised that you prefer that set up to something like a real wood and Baltic Birch ply rack Mick. I'm sure Newbie is totally confused now  :)

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm »
wall mount is the only way to cheaply deal with flexi floors

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm »
next is to get a used nitty gritty lp cleaner or that cheap manual spin model

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2014, 10:12 pm »
also looking to up grade my SUT from the Denon AU-300LC to a 1:15 or 1:20 or 1:40 model improving the 103r I am currently using

rob400

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:03 pm »
What Rob said...

Good call Charlie. I cut a 6" x 6" hole out of the centre of each board. Had to wait for the electronics to warm again but yes a slight improvement again, mainly to PRAT. Thanks.