ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:06 pm »
The AVA web site will be updated soon.

Actually our web site is getting a major overhaul at this time and should be ready for the world within 30 days now.

Regards,

Frank

Oh good.  More link and spell checking.   :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm »
Arthur,

Then go get the DAC!

Wayner  aa

Ah that I could. Like you (& many) earlier this year my industry has taken a major down turn. Am currently self-unemployed. I run low overhead (except for the stereo splurge every 10-20 years), so I can hang for a good bit. But the most I'll be considering upgrade-wise in the foreseeable future is the 6CG7 tubes for the T-8 & Ultra pre. I did the Burr Brown upgrades, so will just have to live with the fine stuff I've got for a bit.

:thumb:

plaf26

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:44 am »
The Vision DAC/Preamp can be ordered with all of our normal Insight preamplifier options: remote control, an outstanding RIAA phono preamplifier section, buffered tape outputs, built in phase inverter, and soon even balanced line outputs and XLR output hardware.
I don't see the price of the built in phase inverter option on the website.  Would that be enough to get balanced line connections from the DAC all the way to my two OmegaStars?  I wouldn't need the XLRs, I don't think.  Also, should I keep my small box T8 for the phono stage or go with the phono option? :scratch:

dmckean

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:53 am »
All of that in one box is really good value!

avahifi

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:38 pm »
Plaf26, I think I can come up with a "one off" special to allow you to run balanced line from an Insight preamp to your two amplfiers.  The Vision EC DAC will provide that capability from the DAC to the preamp appropriately configured.

Or it could be done with a new Vision DAC/Preamp combo.

This is not a production idea at this time because of the extra hardware that would need to be tooled, starting with faceplates.

Call me about this please.

Merry Christmas,

Frank

floresjc

« Reply #25 on: 30 Dec 2009, 06:42 pm »
I'm guessing that you cannot install the DAC into an Insight EC because there is too much stuff in there already? Or will SL and EC both accomodate?

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2009, 07:32 pm »
You can put the Vision DAC in either the SL or EC versions. However, I thought it was only going to be offered on the EC, could be wrong on this one.

Wayner

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:00 am »
It is likely that Wayner meant SL only.  AVA may offer the DAC/Pre combo in an EC version in the future.  The proto-type is an SL.

Regards,
Dean

boycephoto

« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:22 am »
Hi Frank,

You have mentioned several times that XLR outputs will be a future option in the DAC/Preamp combo, are there plans for XLR inputs on power amplifiers, specifically the UltraValve?  or others?

Happy New Year to you and everyone at AVA and AC. 
Dave

ricmon

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:39 pm »
Plaf26, I think I can come up with a "one off" special to allow you to run balanced line from an Insight preamp to your two amplfiers.  The Vision EC DAC will provide that capability from the DAC to the preamp appropriately configured.

Or it could be done with a new Vision DAC/Preamp combo.

This is not a production idea at this time because of the extra hardware that would need to be tooled, starting with faceplates.

Call me about this please.

Merry Christmas,

Frank

Can I get my T-7 retrofitted with balanced out puts?  Just a thought.

Ric

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
We kind of need a new chassis to do this. The preamp chassis has had a major change to it to accommodate XLR connectors for ins and outs, plus new toslink and additional coax connectors, plus a verity of other changes, needed for the new products.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:14 am »
My Vision DAC/Preamplifier has been shipped and will be here next week.    :dance:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:10 am »
I am listening to some very sweet music.  I have only been listening for an hour.  Somehow, I managed to blow the power fuse in my U70.  My middle-aged mind couldn't remember where I stored the spare fuses, even though I purposely stored them in a place that I was certain to remember, and I had to run to The Home Depot to buy a couple of packs of fuses.  Fortunately, my audio memory is flawless.  :lol: 

I am listening to the Vision DAC/Preamp (Vision DAC and Insight+ SL preamp) with the U70.  I am not going to try to analyze the sound tonight.  I am impressed with the detail.  I am impressed with the blackness.  But I am most impressed with the sweetness.  Life doesn't get much better than this, at least not tonight.

Sweet, Frank.  How'd ya do it?   :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:21 pm »
Sweetness review please :wink:

nunhgrader

« Reply #34 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:32 pm »
AVA fan chiming in - sounds like a product for me! Looking forward to a review!

jimheard

« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2010, 04:44 am »
What are the dimensions and weight of the Vision DAC/Pre?  I've got a fairly small cabinet and am trying to figure out if it will fit with the amp(s) I'm considering.

Thanks.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2010, 05:21 am »

It's built in the SL Chassis.  From the AVA website:  17" wide, 12" deep, 3.5" high, probably just a little over 12 pounds.

What are the dimensions and weight of the Vision DAC/Pre?  I've got a fairly small cabinet and am trying to figure out if it will fit with the amp(s) I'm considering.

Thanks.

joeriz

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:10 pm »
Is it possible to do the Vision DAC/Preamp in an EC version (i.e. with tone controls)?  It's not clear to me from the other posts in this thread.

Also, what would be the price of such a unit with the remote volume option?

Thanks!
Joe

charmerci

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:49 pm »
Is it possible to do the Vision DAC/Preamp in an EC version (i.e. with tone controls)?  It's not clear to me from the other posts in this thread.

Also, what would be the price of such a unit with the remote volume option?

Thanks!
Joe

He can't do it with tone controls.  I stand corrected. See below.

Price - http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=242&74a0ad6b5f7a1df0ef4ab98b8fffbb41=4bc88eb0f683029384e3144366514cc5

299 extra with remote.
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm by charmerci »

avahifi

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:18 pm »
Yes, we can do a Vision DAC/Preamp combo unit using the Insight+ EC circuits, switchable tone controls and extra functions and all.  The price would be $150 higher than the SL version.  Note that we cannot do a combined DAC with switchable digital inputs and a preamp.  We would simply run out of available space for the DAC input switch and the extra optical input board.  The Vision DAC/Preamp has one coax digital input only.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine