Looking at Super 5 Monitors for 2014

FireGuy

Re: Looking at Super 5 Monitors for 2014
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:57 pm »
Emailed Louis the other day and he's confirmed my Super 5's are shipping next week.  Already have Milford3 buying a pair on my recommendation after initial eval and break in.  Pretty sure you'll know where I'll be next weekend.

milford3

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:00 pm »
I'm I invited??? :D

FireGuy

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jan 2014, 06:25 pm »
I'm I invited??? :D

Always...with a heaping amount of Arrogant Bastard.

FireGuy

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jan 2014, 12:35 am »
Louis got my Super 5's out to FedEx today.  Should have them tomorrow or Sat.  Had to reroute delivery to a FedEx site...shipped with sig required and I'll be at work.   I'll have some initial pics soon.  Yes indeed!  Order was seamless.  Thank you Louis.  Got my music all lined up.

milford3

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:04 am »
Have the Arrogant Bastard ready!! :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #45 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:19 am »
Super 5 + AB.  Pinch me.   Louis you're invited too.

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jan 2014, 02:18 am »
Hi FireGuy and all Audio Circle members.
I don't drink beer, wine, alchool, can I invite myself?
I can be an arrogant bastard if that can help?

Guy 13

CSI

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jan 2014, 04:02 am »
Hey, can I come too? There's nothing better in this hobby than sharing the fun of a new piece of gear with a bunch of other audio phools. As for the Arrogant Bastard, I live a 1/2 mile from Stone Brewery so I could drop by and grab a suitcase full of growlers before heading for the airport. Maybe I'll bring along a few other outstanding North San Diego County craft brews for your enjoyment. Just kidding, of course. You all enjoy. I'll be with you in spirit.

CSI

JeffB

« Reply #48 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm »
A little earlier in this thread Louis mentioned a 500Hz cross-over point for the speed 12.
This surprised me.  I was thinking it would be down around 80 to 100Hz.
Louis, I am curious on your reasoning behind a 500Hz cross-over point.

FireGuy

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jan 2014, 12:42 am »
Hey, can I come too? There's nothing better in this hobby than sharing the fun of a new piece of gear with a bunch of other audio phools. As for the Arrogant Bastard, I live a 1/2 mile from Stone Brewery so I could drop by and grab a suitcase full of growlers before heading for the airport. Maybe I'll bring along a few other outstanding North San Diego County craft brews for your enjoyment. Just kidding, of course. You all enjoy. I'll be with you in spirit.

CSI

There are a lot of things I've give up to be that close to Stone Brewery.   Buffalo's got Pearl Street...their Trainwreck is worth a visit here.  But Arrogant Bastard is my #1.  First had it in San Diego about five years ago while visiting the USS Midway (served from '75 to '77).  Arrogant Bastard?...you lucky bastard.  CSI & Guy 13 welcome anytime.

http://buffalobrewerydistrict.com/pearl/beerprofiles

Louis O

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:07 pm »
Hi FireGuy,

Many thanks for the invite and wish I could. I would really like to try out the Arrogant Bastard beer. Many thanks for your kind words and it was a pleasure working with you too. The speakers came out great and the veneer I got for these was a great cut. Can't wait for you to get them. Let them warm up a little in room before you fire them up.

Hi JeffB,

Thanks and the 500 Hz was for a passive augmented single driver 2 way with the Speed 12 driver. The active Speed 12 would be way lower.

Still thinking about the passive version though.

Thanks,
Louis

FireGuy

« Reply #51 on: 26 Jan 2014, 01:09 am »
Hi FireGuy,

Many thanks for the invite and wish I could. I would really like to try out the Arrogant Bastard beer. Many thanks for your kind words and it was a pleasure working with you too. The speakers came out great and the veneer I got for these was a great cut. Can't wait for you to get them. Let them warm up a little in room before you fire them up.

Hi JeffB,

Thanks and the 500 Hz was for a passive augmented single driver 2 way with the Speed 12 driver. The active Speed 12 would be way lower.

Still thinking about the passive version though.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis - Looks like Monday evening is when I'll pick them up.  FedEx could not get the 5's to my pick up point today.  Probably just as well, our winter has been miserable and today was no exception.    I'm being as patient as I can.  Point taken regarding a warm up period...already had that considered.  Can't wait to see the walnut finish.

CSI

« Reply #52 on: 27 Jan 2014, 06:39 pm »
Lest the mods think we've strayed a mile off topic I should add that the reason I've been following all these Omega threads is that I've decided to change speakers (something I do very rarely) and the enthusiasm of the AC Omega users has convinced me to order my own pair of Super 3 XRS. Louis tells me the cabinets are built and the veneer will be added this week. I can hardly wait! As for the Stone Ale offerings, they are great but I don't get over there as often as I used to because N. San Diego County is teeming with local breweries. I pass 5 tasting rooms on my 7 mile commute to work! You'll be happy to learn that Greg Koch, Stone co-founder, has very much encouraged this local craft brew scene, making it possible, for instance, for Lost Abbey to move into Stone's old facility when they outgrew it a few years back. "Big Beer" would have destroyed the vats rather than let a potential competitor get a leg up.

OK, back to audio. Louis thinks I will be very happy with my RWA Sig 16 and I'm sure he's right and I will never give it up. But there is always that tube temptation out there so I'm thinking of an alternative. Anyone have any thoughts on tube amps to mate with Omega 3XRS?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jan 2014, 09:35 pm »
CSI, good choice! I also have the 3 XRS.  :thumb:

I have not gotten into exotic/expensive DHTs, and I'm sure some of them might be better than my SET amp, but I've tried EL34 and KT88/6550s in my amp and I prefer the EL34s. The best of that type I've used are not exactly EL34s but they are a drop in replacement, the new stock Gold Lion KT77. My amp makes about 5 wpc, 6 at the start of visible clipping on a scope, and this is a good match with the RS5 driver. They can take more power I think, but the EL34 seems to drive it close to it's maximum just judging from the amount of excursion when the amp is near full power. After demoing the TBI digital amp at 35 wpc I would like a SET amp of around 10 wpc, but that's not going to be cheap unless you don't mind ultralinear operation on an EL34 or KT88 type tube. I am considering paralleling 2 EL34s so I get the same power as one in UL mode, as triode mode sounds more natural to me.

CSI

« Reply #54 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm »
What you describe (EL34's wired single ended putting out about 6 watts) sounds a lot like a Decware SE34I. Did you build your own? If so, you have my admiration since design/build is way beyond my abilities. I've been a fan of EL34's for years so the Decware SE34I intrigues me.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:57 pm »
Yes, it is a lot like the Decware, but I am using a preamp with the capability to output about 30V rms so my amp is simply the EL34s with no driver stage. Both were DIY'ed. I think the Decware would be a great choice if you don't want to build your own. I haven't looked into how much gain it has, but if you have a 2V source it is likely you will not need a preamp. My system has about 12 dB of gain, works out very well but a 2V source is needed to have enough gain.

This pic was from testing my preamp right after it was built...

FireGuy

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:02 am »
Super 5's are here.  A few quick pics (I apologize for the grainess).  First impressions:  Fit and finish are gorgeous.  Beautiful walnut veneer I'd say is near perfect.  And yes Louis, staying away from a high gloss appearance is a good decision.  There's a slight sheen from natural which exposes all the good qualities of the wood.  Love the walnut.  I'm already liking the frequency integration into one driver, better coherence.     I'll have a more detailed sonic take once these have had some play time.  For this space their size is about ideal.  Sensitivity is as advertised. 

milford3

« Reply #57 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:10 am »
Super 5 + AB.  Pinch me.   Louis you're invited too.

Where is the beer?   Very nice FireGuy.

FireGuy

« Reply #58 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:24 am »
Milford3 I'll guarantee you some.  Grab a flight.  Don't forget your T1's.

milford3

« Reply #59 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:40 am »
With the Schitt Lyr of course.  Let these Omegas break in for a time.  They look great.  And let me know how single driver speakers  sound.  Single driver speakers are new to me.